Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...

Users Country Flag

I’d be looking at your wastegate. Verify the hose running to it is ok. Plug a bike pump into it with a gauge. I’m you should just see the rod move at 6psi. Then pump a bit more to get it to extend further and stop pumping. The rod should stay out in one spot. If there’s an air leak in the actuator body or the hose running to it the rod will either not respond to air inputs tmfrom the hand pump or always retract after you’ve fed it some air.
    If that’s ok then check the wastegate rods’ preload is 3mm and no more. If that’s too preloaded then you’ll get limp mode from overboost.
    Check all the n75 hoses are sound too. Any air leak thst stops the n75 getting air onto the the wastegate will cause overboost

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So.. been a while but still tracking along

Not much has happened, just been catching up on everything post uni semester whilst trying to enjoy myself a little

Got the Tint redone as it was starting to flake and look terrible, so had it done professionally because I'd not waste time doing it myself.
    Had done a mountain run before heading back into lockdown and then nothing for the few weeks whilst that all was going on.
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-pxl_20210527_112430312-mp-jpg
    Then the night of our release; already headed out for a drive and some donuts, because yes

Last weekend had a bit of fun with Gavin!
    Attachment 53055
    Attachment 53056
    Done a dash swap, only took a hour and a half for the two of us with all the cables being ziptied everywhere! Got that sorted and quite a few other bits and pieces organized and sorted for Scotty. Quickly replaced the plastic door lock shroud too while I was there, because that was in a million pieces. Card off and back on. Steering wheel also with the next gen series to update the look and feel of the Polo
    Two of us also had a beautiful field day at Imlach wreckers the very next day for a few more bits and pieces, ie pesky door locks! Raided what was left in the entire euro section, which really isn't much

Anyway.. had pretty much been driving the car, it only got a wash on Saturday
    Few more bits and pieces arrived, finally completing the LED conversion on the front! Waiting for the pair to arrive back to me with some Plastic Protective Film on them.
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-received_519880112388184-jpg
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-received_316890633314641-jpg
    Bought a Serck Speed 13row oil cooler to accommodate the thermostatic sandwich plate.
    Pistons are on their way soon, and also have more stuff to order

So my door lock on the drivers side started to fail, hence I replaced that and whilst doing it fixed the rattling in the door. Funnily enough it was the window glass bolt that holds it all in place. That was loose like a goose. Whilst in there started swapping speakers and realized I've got to make a thicker template to make it all work with the window. 6.5" Clarions are really darn thick! That's next weekends job to finish both sides and hopefully have a more wicked noise coming from those
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-received_868663877060360-jpgVW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-received_914277365796998-jpg
    Who wants a choccy milk? Good I checked last night! Cracked dipstick too no wonder I've had a funky idle for the past week.
    Worst part is the mounting bracket for it once you have the phenolic spacer on. Have to lower the position for it to fit right, and even then, not superb either
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-received_1385610748478390-jpg
    Also swapped wheels in preparation for track spec, and uh.. these wheels didn't fit... SOO, had to raise the front coilovers and adjust the lower balljoint to max out camber, for there to be some tuck because it was scraping hard and even then. Wasn't happy downsizing to 15mm spacers, so stayed with the 17.5mm to get more than the 5mm of clearance between tyre wall and the coilover... Pretty much need to balance that somehow :/
    Rear end poked those out by 10mm to have a nice flush look with them, but overall looks pretty darn good, and actually doesn't sound unhappy like it did on Sunday

Still have the rear end to do, I've sorted a spare set of brake lines to swap in the braided bits, and I don't understand why HEL even bothered making them, the stock lines are crimped in and there is pretty much no way to directly swap them in. Just need to find the right fittings and fixtures to make them work, and then I'll complete the remainder of the rear end. So subframe bushings, 256mm brake upgrade and the shims to correct the rear toe and camber.

Think this covers almost everything, not too much else that I would like to get done.
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-received_263191445598829-jpg
    Got some VW Polo Australia stickers too, if anyone wants one let me know, happy to post too!

Cheers
    Last edited by JTop; 22-06-2021 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typos and extras

VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...

Quote Originally Posted by JTop View Post
    Still have the rear end to do, I've sorted a spare set of brake lines to swap in the braided bits, and I don't understand why HEL even bothered making them, the stock lines are crimped in and there is pretty much no way to directly swap them in. Just need to find the right fittings and fixtures to make them work, and then I'll complete the remainder of the rear end.
    They should be a straight swap on the back if you have the right HEL parts. I did it on my car, so you can check it out if it’s still in the garage VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues... I remember it took us a while to figure out but it does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up front is a straight swap, rears are hardline to crimped rubber, which doesn't allow for any screw/unscrew fittings.
    Yours just had the fronts upgraded with blue hel lines. I've done a full refresh on the brakes on both front and back on that car, it's waiting for a roadworthy. Need to do it this week, and get the car registered after all this time!

VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...

Quote Originally Posted by JTop View Post
    Yours just had the fronts upgraded with blue hel lines.
    Definitely had rears done with blue also.

It wasn’t easy, from memory we had to drop the sway bar to get at it, but there is a screw fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by teamshaw; 24-06-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Yeah, they were done. you are right! Can't believe it's super hard to get to, being hidden behind the subframe. When the last section of brake line goes into it comfortably, just the top connection might be a little tricky without the right tools.

Seen them as the car was on the hoist getting its roadworthy. It ended up having a split CV boot, which I've replaced. +1 Gavin for parts

VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-pxl_20210628_223340375-mp-jpg
    Rego on Tuesday and use it for a daily for a little and pass it on to a new owner who'd need it more than I do... Too many cars, only need one!
    Have been working all week, and sorted my brothers Polo, which he wants to sell soon. So modifications have been removed. Car's back on the street for the weekend and next week back to do suspension.
    I've got speakers to finish installing this weekend, currently missing my drivers side one hahaha

Pistons are being sent to me soon, another month of shipping

Need a weekend to do my rear end, too busy to get it finished..
    That's all I remember hahaha, probably done more

OPINIONS!!
    Been offered a BW EFR 6758 with .64afr exhaust side
    Heavily inclined to take it, would actually come up really. Really. REALLY good... I don't see anything that points to a no for it so might take up the offer and that's sorted! Pity the exhaust manifold I bought is v-band and has an external wastegate, that needs a T25 to V-band flange as well as blanking off that wastegate? No idea, either way *shrug*

Users Country Flag
    that'd be a sweet turbo. The 0.64 housing is the smaller of what they offer on that turbo so you'd have the best possible response for that compressor. Being single scroll you could probably fit a less complicated exhaust mani back there too. They are a wide turbo though. I couldnt see you being able to get the exhaust down on the master cylinder side if it was up mounted but maybe if low mounted. Most likely would need it mounted the other way around.
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-efrf-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    that'd be a sweet turbo. The 0.64 housing is the smaller of what they offer on that turbo so you'd have the best possible response for that compressor. Being single scroll you could probably fit a less complicated exhaust mani back there too. They are a wide turbo though. I couldnt see you being able to get the exhaust down on the master cylinder side if it was up mounted but maybe if low mounted. Most likely would need it mounted the other way around.
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-efrf-jpg
    Oh my.. I've been dormant for too long. I just wanted to do a quick update post and realised I didn't even reply to you Sam :O
    Burnout with uni and now the Maserati project; I need a holiday... I think we all do

You may be right; albeit I do feel like this will probably fit suitably above, given the V-band outlet of the exhaust manifold sits next to cyl 3. VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-pxl_20210530_070131231-mp-jpg
    Will see fitment when it comes to it; and the question is when ..
    Yes the rust is not optimal and manifold coating will happen once it's 100% known to work without being chopped

ANYWAY
    so, I got the block back two weeks ago; and been slowly getting it prepared to do a weekend job on it; I still need to order a few bits and pieces as I've realised it might be best to go all out for what I've spent the money on...
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-received_315929946775849-jpg

Gavin's supplied his spare head in a box of unknown contents that he's been holding onto forever and it came with the best of luck!
    APG head, which is a NA head out of a Audi A3. And Gav tells me; oh it doesn't have an exhaust cam; you'll need to find one

4-5months ago at Imlachs; I only found an exhaust cam out of an NA A3; as whoever dismantled it before me; took the intake cam. I took some decent 1.8T cams too; so if anyone needs; I'll pass those on; pay for shipping!

And there is my luck; 1+1 = complete head. But I'm not done. Also got spares from Gav for 3 more cylinders as well as IE rods!!! which are of no use to my build anymore hahahaha; was a funny find.
    I've currently got Ferrera exhaust valves to go in. I didn't buy any stem seals; and I'm probably going to ASAP; but with that; I keep thinking of better springs and seats(so the potential for valve float is low, given I like to race any willing participant)
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-259130047_432986968405733_8694622926428845644_n-jpg
    Yet to buy a sheet of aluminium to baffle that sump up; another job for another day. And I have too many at this given moment..
    Got APR studs for bottom and top. Need to order oil pickup and those bits.
    Not much else for the moment; need to get all the gaskets and seals first!

Might be the Christmas break where I get this built... All year for a wonderful present
    Cheers guys

Users Country Flag
    good to see you pressing on mate. My block is close to done. The AGU big port head is going to have some supertech stainless OE replacement exhaust valves. I just need to save a bit more coin to get ARP head bolts. Only other decison will be do I run fixed cam timing or go with VVT again. VVT can be a bit of a pain to setup and definitely improves the bottom end but I'm not really that keen on putting decent mileage gear into a brand new head whereas the fixed tensioner is brand new too. I'm leaning towards maybe that with the catcams cam pulley and call it a day.
    My sump is still down with the engineer waiting to get welded but soon hopefully I'll have some pics of the baffled sump so you'll see what it looks like once those templates are all in there. It'll have hinged stainless doors.

Thanks Sam!!
    Wait a minute; done as in built? bottom end assembled? You're getting along quick!!!
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-pxl_20211130_081447894-mp-jpg
    These have arrived today; didn't get the tooled option unfortunately
    $350 AUD, express postage ebay from VPW
    Automotive & Motorcycle Performance Parts | VPW Australia
    Automotive & Motorcycle Performance Parts | VPW Australia
    $95 for the tool...
    Hi Gav! I'll need to borrow yours hahahaha

Also ordered on Sunday night all the Gaskets; stem seals, oil pump etc;
    $464AUD for the lot. which ain't bad. I went with a Piertec oil pump; *shrug* hope is ok will see
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-bill-png
    If anyone can read that lol

OOh and bought a IE 83.5mm gasket; also $172 express shipped. No heads up if that's coming yet or not

Think I have everything except the Turbo and maybe external wastegate. Be a downpipe extension to create as(given everything fits in position) and a larger charge pipe OH and front mount too.. I forgot about that all... UMMM
    Should get the cup edition bumper ordered as that helps with space up front... Eh; my current bumper is completely buggered; so i'll chop the rest up and make new mounting brackets to have it fit.
    Did get my Phenix engineering Billet cups for the BAM intake; given the current spacing; everything should work wonderfully. I'll probably draft a tonne of custom parts, like an enclosure for the intake etc. I've got a little Intel L515; LiDAR 3D scanner; due to my other project having to find New-Old stock. Impossible!
    So tempted to make some spacers for the fenders and widen up the front a bit. Little illegal? It all is either way

As you mention it Sam; I also did pickup a Fluidampr and IE cam adjuster. Will see how good those are
    VW Polo BUILD #3: CIAOS Continues...-pxl_20211130_103525924-mp-jpg
    That reminds me; need to get the 6 hole timing gear. I ordered one and then got a full refund because the shop didn't have it in stock. Or Gav... Hiiiiii

Need to order another timing belt kit for my brothers car; that's another weekend job to do. I can't catch a single break; 1000 million jobs to get done.. Blinked and my day is over

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast