Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 8P S3?

Users Country Flag

Upgrade to 8P S3?

Peeps, talk me out of it haha. So there is a pretty cheap 07 S3 up for grabs, 3 door, manual, high kms (200k odd...which is about a 100k more than the Polo). I could probably get into it for more or less the same as what I could sell the Polo GTI for. It would be my new daily (have an M3 for those special occasions).
    So what do you think? Are they quick, easy to make quicker, reliable, good fun? Or are they too heavy, relatively thirsty and lacking in grin factor? Love the POG but sometimes I could do with a bit more refinement. The POG is stage 2 BTW.

Had an 8P sportback (not S3) and a Polo 9N GTi with exhaust, FMIC and tune in the drive at the same time for many years until a few months ago.

No comparison between them from a fun point of view. One is light, nimble, corners like it is on rails, ballistic acceleration and giggles. The Audi is beautifully appointed but much heavier to drive and cannot be thrown around like a GTi.

Doing a long distance trip is a no brainer - take the Audi.

Want to put a smile on your face as you pop around to a mates or go on a Sunday morning mountain drive - take the GTi.

Would I want to drive the GTi everyday and everywhere - NO (if nothing else it is very loud). That is what the C63 and M140i are for.

If you do a fair amount of travelling each day the S3 will be a much nicer environment to do it in.

200K on an 8P is scary given the issues that popped up on mine in under 100K.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks GRP. I'm not sure if you are implying your 8p also had those mods, or just the Polo? We had an 8p, 5 door, 2.0fsi, auto. Yeah, that was pretty dull to drive for sure. But I somewhat think a 265hp 6 speed turbo version would be capable of generating smiles, no?
    Anyway, someone else has snapped it up, so don't have to be tempted by it anymore! A colleague of mine actually picks one up in the weekend, so I'll hopefully get a chance to try them out for myself soon enough.

Saved by bought by someone else.

No mods on the 8P.

The Polo is a standout for lightweight and balance and with some power add ons there is little that is comparable.

The C63 off course is uneatable for a smile on the face any time you drive it.

Users Country Flag
    I had an 8L S3 and drove the Polo almost exclusively, it used less juice being the main reason. Only really went in the S3 for big trips, like interstate 4 days of driving stuff. Or if the weather was properly wet.

I wouldn't go 8P unless I was doing 100km at a time, my polo is no armchair but I am used to it.

You will only want to modify it, plus it will want a carbon clean for sure. A clutch will be on the horizon if its manual.

Hi I got a s3 8p 2008 6 speed black on black 2 door with all options. New to the forum and unsure how to upload pics but it's the best car I've owned.
    Mods
    Decat full custom exhaust with quad tips
    R8 coils
    Creationsmotorsport stage 2 intake
    Gfb dv
    Heaps of other stuff done too and every nut and bolt or spare part or receipt that has been done on the car has been kept. I have OCD lol so I have a folder of all the receipts for everything changed or replaced and even kept all the old parts in the shed lol. So the car can be put back to standard if you like.

The only thing it's missing is a tune it's stage 2 ready and its plenty fast as is I beat the new golf R rolling race by a car length And xr8's, holden SS neck to neck or by a car length always.. They go fast for what they're.

I have a polo gti too it's stage 1 but honeslty the Audi S3 as is goes great it always put a smile on my face and shocks everyone that gets in it.. they thinks it's tuned but the most power came right after the decat downpipe it went next level. Plus it handles so good
    It will be going up for sale soon in the next 2 weeks it will be up on eBay at NO RESERVE.

Honeslty buy one they're so reliable I use it daily for my business I work 7days I do 900km a week and its never let me down in 2y I service it every 7weeks and every day it makes me smile but I need the money I'm a father now and i bought land and building a house so the misses said the Audi has to go she's scared of the S3 lol but the polo gti is my new fun toy.

I have a s3 8p 2008 6 speed 3 door
    Mods
    Decat and custom exhaust with quad tips
    Stage 2 intake from creationsmotorsports
    R8 coils
    upgraded fuel return valve.
    GFB dv
    It's set up for a stage 2 tune but I'm selling it soon and keeping my polo gti.
    The S3 is fast enough after the decat if I only tuned it I know it will be a weapon but I'll let the next owner tune it.

It's so reliable I use it as my business car I do over 900km a week I work 7 days a week and in 2y it's never let me down not once.

They handle great too

My colleague has had his for about 3 weeks now and absolutely loves it after the golf MkV GTI he had before that. He says its thirsty but suspect he's been pretty heavy with the right foot. I've yet to drive it.

I'm unlikely to get one unless one came up too cheap to say no, or I was forced to sell the M3 and had to go back to one car. The Polo still gives me plenty of cheap thrills, especially with the recent mods I've been making.

PoloGit if you're near Wollongong let me know and come test drive mine. It will be up for sale soon at NO RESERVE on eBay but if you want to make an offer before hand I'll let it go cheap. I have every receipt for everything I bought or replaced and every nut bolt or old parts all hoarded in my shed for everything I've replaced or touched it can be put back to standard if you wish but you won't lol. It owes me well over 15k but I'm happy to let it go for cheap.

Honeslty they're good on fuel but depends how you drive it. But on long drives it wastes next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikogti View Post
    PoloGit if you're near Wollongong let me know and come test drive mine. It will be up for sale soon at NO RESERVE on eBay but if you want to make an offer before hand I'll let it go cheap. I have every receipt for everything I bought or replaced and every nut bolt or old parts all hoarded in my shed for everything I've replaced or touched it can be put back to standard if you wish but you won't lol. It owes me well over 15k but I'm happy to let it go for cheap.

Honeslty they're good on fuel but depends how you drive it. But on long drives it wastes next to nothing.
    Thanks, but I live in NZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast