Support VWWC

Thread: Turbo not spooling until at optimal operating temp?

Users Country Flag

Question Turbo not spooling until at optimal operating temp?

Hey guys,

haven't had the car for too long, but lately I've been having the problem of the turbo not spooling at all until the engine is at optimal operating temp (needle in the middle position). I understand I shouldn't be on boost until the engine is warm, but I swear it would at least begin to spool before, now nothing. Once it reaches the optimal temp it goes without a problem. Is it just me not knowing the car well enough yet, or is there some sort of 'idiot-proofing' built in so you don't destroy the car, or am I having some sort of issue?

Users Country Flag
    I doubt this is the case. You can jump in and run it to the redline from cold if you want to. It'll make boost. You should fit a boost gauge or get it logged with vcds.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    probably should have mentioned, bought the car with GIAC stage one tune, possibility of making any difference?
    I'm just puzzled as to why it's completely fine once it hits that magical temp, it actually pulls really well once at temp.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bart9n3 View Post
    probably should have mentioned, bought the car with GIAC stage one tune, possibility of making any difference?
    I'm just puzzled as to why it's completely fine once it hits that magical temp, it actually pulls really well once at temp.
    Nothing to do with who tuned it.

I am still not convinced. You need to take it somewhere and have it looked at.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    Regardless of engine temperature, if there is exhaust gas coming out of the engine the turbo has to spin. Once its under a small amount of load that exhaust gas will be enough to spin the turbine and create positive pressure.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

today everything seemed fine again, regardless, will be taking somewhere to have it looked at, in the meantime might as well order some redline mt-90 and have that done too. Boost gauge is also on it's way so I'll be able to see what is actually going on with boost.