Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Oil Leak

Users Country Flag

Transmission Oil Leak

Hi all,

I recently discovered that my Polo GTI seems to be leaking oil from around the large black cover on the transmission and possibly from what looks to be one of the covers underneath.

This is the black cover on the side of the transmission, it looks to be leaking from the rubber gasket.
    Transmission Oil Leak-img_20200518_143221-jpg
    IMG-20200518-143221 — ImgBB

There might also be oil coming from this other black cover.
    Transmission Oil Leak-img_20200518_143237-jpg
    IMG-20200518-143237 — ImgBB

Does anyone know if this seems likely and if so where can I go about finding the part numbers I need to get some replacements? I'm looking into getting a workshop manual for the torque specifications anyway so I'd imagine they'd be in there.

Thanks heaps.

Edit:

If anyone comes across this thread in the future looking for the same gasket, VW's part number is 02R301215. It ran me about $65.
    Last edited by Stein; 06-06-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Dropbox - 02Rgearbox.pdf - Simplify your life
    Probably simplest to go to VW for the seals.
    That's brilliant, thanks Gavin. Only just realised that there's a sticky though.

Have you got any recommendations for a replacement oil? I read that some boxes develop a grinding between 1st and 2nd gear, my Polo only has 53,000KM on the clock and was hoping to stave off any issues. 2L of Nulon fully-synthetic 75W-90 was on the cards at the moment.

Thanks again!

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Any 75w90 synthetic would be an improvement on stock.
    Cheers, will get on it.

Users Country Flag
    can vouch for that. I was running 75W90 Motul and recently did an oil change after 2 years. Glad I did because the oil was pretty foul and gluggy coming out. I replaced it with OEM 75 monograde because I had two bottles of it sitting on the shelf and now I notice that the synchros are inclined to crunch slightly if I rush a gear change and also when I get 1st gear wheel spin the LSD is much more audible in its action. 75W90 is the go.

Users Country Flag
    is there a defined service interval? I've done 45000km since I bought my Polo and haven't changed it - it wouldn't surprise me if it hasn't ever been changed

Users Country Flag
    they were meant to "filled for life" I think? which is rubbish really. Mine was putrid when I first dumped the from the factory oil in my first box and same again when I dumped a second set of oil that had worked harder on track etc with the LSD and it was foul too. I'd do it. Its dead easy and your synchros will thank you.

Users Country Flag
    gotcha...

Users Country Flag

You'll need a big in-hex for the empty and fill plugs and a small pump bottle to get the fluid in. Its been talked about on here before but you need to get the passenger side wheels up on 4 X 2 timbers or something so that the box will take the 1.9-2.0L that it needs. Without that it'll be dribbling out the fill port with only 1.7L in there.
    I had Redline MTL in my first box for 2 years which came out looking ok before I got the wavetrac built into it. Synchros liked that oil. That box was refilled with Motul 300 75W90 and that was the stuff that came out with chunks and globs in it after the same time period. Synchros were happy with that too but I think maybe the LSD turned the oil into whipped cream. Now I have stock 75 monograde and straight away I can hear the diff action and the synchros are protesting sometimes. So I can only recommend Redline MTL out of those three.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast