Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Oil Leak

Users Country Flag

thanks Sam, I appreciate the extra detail. I did a search and read about the 17mm hex - I'll make something or do the nut and bolt trick or use a mini wheel nut (double the thickness of a normal nut), no point buying a big ass hex bit when I'll hardly use it.

I do wonder what's in the box now though, maybe it is something good because it takes a lot of abuse with out any synchro crunches. Maybe I'm just good at sympathetic gearchanges after living with 50+ year old gearbox designs for all of my driving life.

but... oil argument alert! google says that Redline MTL is 75W80, and Gav says 75W90 - uh oh...

Users Country Flag
    FYIs
    G 070 726 A2 is the VW part number.
    Top Tec MTF 5100 75W is going in my box tomorrow. This says its for 7 speed dry clutch DSGs but that is just the gear side of the box, not the mechtronics! $16 a litre at trade

High Performance Gear Oil (GL4+) SAE 75W-90 This come up with th eproduct finder. $23 a litre at trade

I'm going to test out the cheaper stuff, in a gearbox I just fitted at the weekend. It has half the KMs of the car. If I get any crunching I'll go to the more expensive gear.
    Last edited by h100vw; 01-06-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Users Country Flag
    hang on. just checked my spare MTL container and its 70W80. Nulon smooth shift synthetic which is going in when the KAAZ LSD box goes in is 75W85W.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers for all the responses lads. I went with the Nulon 75W-90 and in my brief test gear changes did seem a tiny little bit smoother but I had no issues before and it could have been my imagination.

If anyone needs the same gasket I think VW's code is 02R301215A. Not 100% on that so I snagged a photo of its label. If someone can confirm I'll add it to the OP.
    Transmission Oil Leak-gasketlabel-jpg

Finally got some time to do the swap yesterday, low and behold the old gasket was completely fine. Turns out the issue was that the bottom left bolt hole is almost completely stripped, the bolt holds in there by the skin of its teeth but there's no way I can get the 18NM required on it.

Transmission Oil Leak-img_20200604_122258-jpg

I'm thinking that I'll drill the hole out and put one of those threaded inserts in, if I try and use a larger bolt I'd have to modify the cover and having mismatched bolts would keep me up at night.

If anyone has a better idea than the threaded insert I'd be glad to hear it, not super excited about having to take drill to it.

Thanks again all.

Users Country Flag
    Helicoil will work fine. Don't worry. Just be really careful as you're drilling. Otherwise a painless process

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Helicoil will work fine. Don't worry. Just be really careful as you're drilling. Otherwise a painless process
    Cheers Gavin.

Any recommendations on where to get a Helicoil like insert? The bolts look to be M7s and there's a lack of them at the usual suspects. Come across a few on Ebay but with the world the way it is it'll be July/August before something out of China will get here.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Stein,

If you were in Melbourne there is a shop called costlessbolts. they have everything thread related.
    Not sure which bolt shop in qld would help you. Hope this is an idea.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Don't think they are m7. More likely M6. That is commonly available. Trade tools would sell that

Users Country Flag
    yeah any engineering outlet will sell what you need, doesn't have to come from OS.

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Don't think they are m7. More likely M6. That is commonly available. Trade tools would sell that
    OEMEPC list it as a M7x20 so that's what I went and got. No one had anything locally and wanted ~$140 to get one in. Ended up getting one from an online shop for $75. Its a Recoil kit and made in Australia so that's was a bonus.

Transmission Oil Leak-img_20200615_162638-jpg

Had my last exam today and did a test run on some mild steel I had laying around. Went well so I'll see how I go tomorrow when there's some sunlight. Fingers crossed.

Edit: For anyone who might need the info I pulled out the die set and checked that it is indeed an M7 with a 1mm thread pitch. Probably should have do that before I went and ordered it.
    Last edited by Stein; 15-06-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast