Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspension Knock / Rattle Turning at low speed

Users Country Flag

Suspension Knock / Rattle Turning at low speed

Hi all

This issue has been screwing with my head for weeks now, when ever turning at low speed or hitting certain bumps whilst turning there's a loud knock / rattle from the drivers side wheel, It almost feels like strut tops but they are tight!

Came across this thread that may have nailed the issue
    The Volkswagen Club of South Africa - View topic - 9N3 POLO Front Suspension Rattle sorted!

It could be the brake caliper rattling and hitting the lower ear of the hub!

Will pop the wheel off on the weekend and check it out, anyone else notice this after about 40,000k?
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
    Hi all

This issue has been screwing with my head for weeks now, when ever turning at low speed or hitting certain bumps whilst turning there's a loud knock / rattle from the drivers side wheel, It almost feels like strut tops but they are tight!

Came across this thread that may have nailed the issue
    The Volkswagen Club of South Africa - View topic - 9N3 POLO Front Suspension Rattle sorted!

It could be the brake caliper rattling and hitting the lower ear of the hub!

Will pop the wheel off on the weekend and check it out, anyone else notice this after about 40,000k?
    Hi Flat 6
    I have been getting exactly the same rattle when turning at low speed, pariculary noticed it recently on a downhill sharp left turn. My wife said 'what was that?' . Any answers from the wise ones to this one? Cheers Al
    PS My Polo has standard suspension apart from Ultra Strut Brace and Rear Sway Bar. Standard brakes apart from rotors.
    Last edited by Polo GTEye N9; 30-08-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Take it you guys have both checked control arm bushes? Apologies if so.

Users Country Flag
    I've had that noise on certain corners/bumps for a while too (usually turning left in suburban side streets) - probably started around 20,000 km and still around 20,000km later.

It has persisted despite
    • changes in rear control arm bushes (SEAT),
    • strut tops (Ground Control camber plates),
    • shimming of the engine subframe (designed/supplied by Eddy),
    • front antiroll bar bushes (Whiteline along with the antiroll bar),
    • pad changes (QFM)
    • rotor changes (DBA)
    • and 3 wheel/tyre combinations

And it still comes and goes when I switch out the dogbone mount from rubber to polyureathane and back.

Track days have not affected it either way.

I live with it.
    Last edited by kaanage; 28-08-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

I have had the very same problem since new. VW technicians could never find the problem, and I've never found anything on the underside loose etc. It only ever happens when turning left and on the drivers side, worse in the wet, speed not an issue. On one occasion when I had parked on my driveway (compound curve-ish) on full lock to the left, I noticed that the the roll bar link on the right was a bees **** away from touching one of the suspension components (can't remember, long time ago. Maybe driveshaft or lower wishbone???) and thought it wouldn't take much of an imperfection in the road for them to touch and cause that noise. Maybe the boys who have changed to shorter droplinks can chime in and mention if they have had a similar noise that has been sorted due to the change.

Users Country Flag
    in my gti its the control arm bushes that make these noises with almost exactly the same symptoms. Ive yet to change them on account of sever slackness.
    im sure someone once posted a msg about door hinges which can make similar noises, generally on the front left door? i will search and see if i can find it.
    06 Polo GTI
    standard ECU, wheels | K&N Panel filter | PD160 intake tube and trumpet |Nulon 5W-30 | Michelin contact sport 3

Same experience and similar attemps to Kaanage. Has been doing it for years, hasn't gotten any worse over time. To me it seems to came back through the steering wheel so have wonder if it's the steering rack rattling. Happens mostly on left handers, and occassionally on rough right handers.

It still did it after changing strut tops and lower control arm bushes, have got whiteline adjustable sway bar links, still does it. Good to know the dog bone mount hasn't stopped it as that was of consideration in an attempt to stop that knock and also the other benefits.

Is everyones car lowered? Anyone get it with standard height suspension?
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    I must be the exception to the rule.
    AP coilovers, fuggin low most of the time for a polo.

No noises matching the above description.
    My strut top mounts will creak when backing out of the driveway upon each drive but that's it.
    Haven't had to bother with shortened drop links either.

I'll jump in and say I've had exactly the same as kaanage and seangti, left handers mostly, back through the steering column... nfi what it is, tried everything, started threads on it, no luck, if anyone finds it I'll be a happy boy!
    Polo GTI MY2008
    Build Thread
    136.09kW and 305.28Nm torques, Dynapack Hub Dyno

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Must be a design flaw in the 9n3 series

I've had the issue for ages however I started noticing it more after getting the poly bushes / wheel alignment, have checked all sub frame bolts and they are still tight. Could be the added vibration through the control arms contributes to something loosening up behind the braking system.

It does happen more frequently when going down hill whilst turning (every morning going down underground car park)

Running stock suspension and shocks, Its more annoying if anything, but I want to get to the bottom of it

Also noticed the gf's polo gti does it as well, hers is completely stock running different control arms

Has anyone actually checked out the brakes as the actual cause?
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast