Thread: Superpro bushing problem

Superpro bushing problem

Got my car at the mechanics getting my new bushings installed and have come across a problem with the front control arm bushing. He thinks it's the wrong part but it's the right part number problem is he presses it in and when it comes out it expands and goes back into this position

Saying it won't fit in

He is worried if he tries to force it into the spot it could damage the bushing talking about dropping half the subframe to get it in this can't be right. Can anyone give me some advice on what needs to be done cos I'm gonna go in the morning and give it a crack myself because looking above it looks like one bolt holding that section in that would make it move or is there a trick to keep it compressed to put it in and bolt it up?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    I can only recommend this STRONGFLEX Polyurethane Components

Users Country Flag
    assuming its the correct bush, what happens is that you get an air lock as you try to push each side in when the socket rod is already in place. This is especially so if you've used heaps of bush grease too. You are just compressing air between the two halves. If this is whats happening you'll notice that you'll force them in and then they'll just back right on out. The answer is to put both halves of the bush material in and while keeping them forced in you then slide the rod in through the middle of them last which eliminates the airlock problem.
    Try that and see who you get on. By holding the bush halves against the outside of the bush casing it'll be pretty easy to see if they are the right width, but yes they are a tight fit inside the casing.

they are normally about 1mm oversize. Looks like the wrong part.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

They are the SPF3311K so they are the right ones he did say he used a lot of grease the stuff that came with it and other stuff as well as WD40 lol I'm guessing that is what is causing it to slide back out once pressed

Cheers for the info sambb I'll clean it out and give it a go in the morning

Users Country Flag
    yep both bush halves in first, pressed together. You can maybe even get the wishbone vertical with one end of a bench under the inside half of the bush, then push the other half in with a big hex socket, big enough that you can feed the pin through. Keep downward pressure on the socket as you knock the pin through. My halves werent completely to the thou' in either but when you push the wishbone home (make sure you guide the bush material past the sharp edges of the subframe) it'll squish fully shut.

All sorted and installed thanks boys