Support VWWC

Thread: sticky starter motors

Users Country Flag

sticky starter motors

i have a gti that i have replaced the starter with a used and then a new starter motor and on cold start the starter motor doesn't disengage after starting and the only way to stop it whining is by revving to over 3k and it stops the noise. what troubleshooting steps would you try to solve this?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwolf View Post
    i have a gti that i have replaced the starter with a used and then a new starter motor and on cold start the starter motor doesn't disengage after starting and the only way to stop it whining is by revving to over 3k and it stops the noise. what troubleshooting steps would you try to solve this?
    And maybe it's not the starter but the secondary air pump under the inlet manifold. ????

Google it and disconnect the plug off the pump see what happens.

Not heard of starters making noises except the odd screech on mk4 golf gtis

Users Country Flag
    I second Gavin for that one,

Secondary Air Intake System, or SAI for short. Loves to sound like a jet engine once the Combination valve or N112 valve start to fail.
    Shops will say replace every component(and charge you so so much), so everyone here will tell you to throw it out and get it code/resistor it out. Will save you in the long run. If you remove it without coding, car will run terribly.

VW is anyway getting ****ed for their "upstream" tech, which I understand as these SAI systems(blowing fresh air through the exhaust) so will see how that will go.

Good luck!

Users Country Flag

Will our RWD GTI do Donuts? | Finale - YouTube

what was the final reason why the motor didnt turn over mate? was it the starter or was it something to do with the clutch swap.
    I found this vid today RE pressure plate fouling