Thread: Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls

Users Country Flag

Question Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls

I know it's been talked about a fair bit here and there, but what ACTUALLY needs to be done? I'm looking at fitting a Mk6 steering wheel, removing the controls and using 3rd party stick-on wireless controls for the HU (upgrading to an Android Auto unit) meant for the Mk6 Golf's (no, I can't find ones for the Mk5). My goal is going for that OEM+ look or at least bringing modern tech into an old car.

I've seen multiple instances of people saying the Mk5 wheel fits directly onto the 9n3 without needing sliprings, clock springs, etc. I've also seen a thread somewhere that says a Mk6 wheel fits directly onto the Mk5. Ergo, Mk6 wheel SHOULD also be a direct fit for the 9n3?

This brings me to going with the Mk6 wheel, now whether I want a round wheel or flat bottom off the GTi...

Users Country Flag
    All I can do is give you info to say that the Mk5/Mk6 GTI steering wheel is probably the nicest steering wheel you are ever going to find in an affordable car. So my vote is to get the flat bottom GTI wheel - whether its the Mk5 or Mk6 version.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    All I can do is give you info to say that the Mk5/Mk6 GTI steering wheel is probably the nicest steering wheel you are ever going to find in an affordable car. So my vote is to get the flat bottom GTI wheel - whether its the Mk5 or Mk6 version.
    the price difference from a round wheel to a flat bottom wheel is approx $200 without airbag. my mind says yes, but my wallet screams no

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    the price difference from a round wheel to a flat bottom wheel is approx $200 without airbag. my mind says yes, but my wallet screams no
    I say - dont skimp. The steering wheel is something you touch/hold every time you drive the car. If you like the flat bottom then save up for another few weeks and get it.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Gone out to the wreckers today after finding a decent deal on a Mk6 GTi steering wheel and airbag.

Mk6 GTi Steering Wheel with multifunction controls and DSG paddles

Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_132703-1-jpg

Also found these wireless multifunction controls for my upcoming headunit upgrade
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-ezgif-4-4adef1d4ce-jpg

The goal is to get an OEM+ look, so sadly the dumb switches has got to go, so does the paddles

Remove 2 T20 bolts on either side to release trim piece

Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_132836-jpg

Tug the trim towards the middle and it'll come off
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_133009-jpg

Remove the ribbon cables from the MF controls and the control unit
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_133149-jpg
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_133404-jpg

Remove the paddles using the same T20 bit
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_133545-jpg

The cable for the paddles can't be unplugged from the paddle assembly, so the whole PCB has to come out.
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_135708-jpg
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_135932-jpg

The PCB is held in by 1 clip, just gently push it out of the way and the whole board comes out
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_135902-jpg
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_135844-jpg

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any OE part numbers for the blanking plate that goes on non-DSG GTi's
    Steering Wheel Upgrade/Conversion with Functional Controls-20220815_161707-jpg

Will be using resin clay to fill in the paddle shifter switch without the paddle actually attached.
    Will post an update when I've filled in the hole and the wireless switches come in the mail.
    Last edited by willie; 15-08-2022 at 08:44 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Have you got a link to those steering wheel controls? they look nifty
    2004 MK4 R32 - Reflex Silver - KW V3 - AdvanSport V105 - Colour Matched RCN210
    2012 up! 3Door - Tornado Red - More details soon…

Quote Originally Posted by greyhamism View Post
    Have you got a link to those steering wheel controls? they look nifty
    choice aplenty on ebay the sorts. got mine off a guy selling Mk6 accessories. keep in mind though, the wireless controls doesn't fit on the facia of steering wheels with controls from factory, I'm ordering in a non controls facia to see if it fits, if not, some dremel work and possibly fiberglass work needs to be done.