Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoking GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Do you know of a reputable place to order these turbos from that ship to this side of the world?
    9n3 Polo GTI Cup Edition

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubs View Post
    How did you end up doing the catch can?

Thinking of possibly going down the route of a hybrid k300 turbo, and a single pass front mount intercooler if I can find the parts from a TT or S3 locally otherwise Ill probably just order the Airtec one made for the car. And potentially the Link G4X Ecu.

Then getting a safe tune that wont upset the stock rods.
    I’ve removed the original air box, so I mounted the catch can on the air box bracket. There are some good videos on YouTube showing how to route the lines, but one thing I do recommend is ordering a new elbow from the crankcase. The plastic becomes brittle and will probably break when you handle it. You should also order a replacement o-ring and retainer clip for the elbow at the same time.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    I have helped plenty of guys tune remotely but the choice is yours, if you are happy with them no need to swap. My mate that tunes for me has done lots and lots of big turbo me7 stuff. Flashing ECUs and taking logs is pretty easy. The important part is having a road to log on. Most tuning shops wouldnt be interested in loaning out their dyno for 3rd party tuning, which I understand.

These are both direct bolt ons.

Port a stock manifold, the big bore ones dont flow well enough, mine made 10kw everywhere when I swapped out the bog bore 034 style one for a ported.

the K300 has a spikey nature and lights up the front wheels too easy, even with a linear throttle its hard to prevent.
    The 280s come on boost a little softer and pretty much with the perfect amount of wheelspin. No need for rods at all.
    Hey Gavin, I have a spare high mileage original turbo that is still okay, but probably should be rebuilt before being reinstalled. Is it worth rebuilding one of these, or does it make more sense to upgrade to the k280? Does anyone in Australia even rebuild the original turbos?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rdubya View Post
    Hey Gavin, I have a spare high mileage original turbo that is still okay, but probably should be rebuilt before being reinstalled. Is it worth rebuilding one of these, or does it make more sense to upgrade to the k280? Does anyone in Australia even rebuild the original turbos?
    Sorry I missed your post.

You could have it rebuilt I never got one done here though and it wont be cheap.

Upgrading the turbo is an expensive exercise. Turbo, TIP, intake, intercooler, MAF housing, injectors, Tune. Substantial investment even if you already have stage 2 hardware

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12