Support VWWC

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: simon's learning what to do with the polo thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

sounds good!

Here's a picture of my coilover converted bilstein, I had the wheel off so I took a picture...

simon's learning what to do with the polo thread-20190120_173522-jpg

I had a look at how we can mount the sway bar link off the bottom suspension arm. A bit of angle on top of the arm poking out towards the front of the car would do the job. It'd need a fairly substantial sandwich plate underneath and probably some spacers to stop it from crushing the arm

Here's a completely useless picture

simon's learning what to do with the polo thread-20190120_175839-jpg

Users Country Flag
    I forgot how beefy the shaft is on those B8's. Yeah the pic and what you said makes sense. I wonder if you could just seam weld a reinforcement strip along the front edge of the control arm, flush with the top edge of the arm and the pinched edge, and literally just tap directly into it for a short 90 degree offset drop link.
    Was under there last night putting a spanner on everything and giving it the once over now that a few events are starting back up and found a shagged tie rod inner that i'll have to get onto. Looks doable to me.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    I forgot how beefy the shaft is on those B8's.
    Inverted shock, so it's not actually a "shaft" but the shock body itself. The "shaft" is inside the strut tube. Makes for much reduced bending of the strut unit as a whole, so it retain the alignment settings. Plus avoids most of the stiction that MacStruts suffer badly from. I would never use anything else but an inverted shock on a strut car.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    yeah i'll be going 2 way bilsteins next time 'round for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    I forgot how beefy the shaft is on those B8's. Yeah the pic and what you said makes sense. I wonder if you could just seam weld a reinforcement strip along the front edge of the control arm, flush with the top edge of the arm and the pinched edge, and literally just tap directly into it for a short 90 degree offset drop link.
    Was under there last night putting a spanner on everything and giving it the once over now that a few events are starting back up and found a shagged tie rod inner that i'll have to get onto. Looks doable to me.

like this?

simon's learning what to do with the polo thread-lca-mockup-jpg

or you may mean to rotate it 90° to have the rod drop into a hole with a nut underneath

simon's learning what to do with the polo thread-lca-mockup-2-jpg

Users Country Flag
    No I was thinking take your channel and run it along the front edge of the control arm ie encase the length of the leading edge. Then where the drop link will bolt onto the control arm you could have another layer of channel to reinforce that location moreand allow you to tap directly into the leading edge for the drop link. It didn't look to me that you need the extension/protrusion out from the control arm. Dropping vertically down from the FARB looked like it would fall against the control arms front to me, but I'm probably off on that.

Users Country Flag
    If you can use something like, say, a Subaru a step around (C shaped) rear swaybar link that should enable you to have the bracket on the lower control arm.

The standard Subaru ones are plastic, so not so good for big swaybars

Spherical bearing style

Bush Style

Cheers
    Gary
    Last edited by Sydneykid; 22-01-2019 at 09:52 AM.

it's not so much that the link needs to get around anything, it's that the end of the swaybar is a fair way forward of the LCA. The leading edge of the LCA only *just* ahead of the driveshaft

the photo I took really is useless.... need to get under there with some a weetbix box and do a proper CAD model (Cardboard Aided Design)

Users Country Flag
    Although it's desirable, it's not necessary to have the swaybar link dead vertical. After all the OE one isn't. If you can run a straight link at say 30 degrees to vertical that would be fine. I was just looking at the C shaped link as possibly being necessary to clear the drive shaft when the wheel is turned.

Cheers
    Gary

I was gifted a set of soft Nitto NT01s last night, he even gave them a fresh coat of tyre softener... I now have more tyres than I need, they take up a lot of space compared to mini tyres

What sort of hot pressure should I be aiming for with tyres like A050, R888R and NT01? I was using 30psi with the RE003, but no science behind why I picked that

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast