Support VWWC

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: simon's learning what to do with the polo thread

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by simon k View Post
    clutch paranoia is setting in... 16yo learner behind the wheel giving it a bit of a hard time. I might need to buy a clutch and have it sitting ready to go in

saving link to handy info here - PARTS where to get these: Clutch and pressure plate upgrade maybe lightened flywheel

the manual says to take the gearbox out and leave the engine in the car, but it seems like it'd be cleaner to take it out as a unit... what is everyones preference?
    Don't know about that specific model, but it is generally faster to just remove the gearbox. Saves draining fluids, oil water, fuel etc. Plus all the connections on the engine, sensors, wiring, cables etc.

The only time I do both together is if it's a physically the only choice. Having the right equipment also helps, alternatively a few sets of helping hands

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    one time someone on the mini forum was attempting to take their engine out and leave the gearbox behind.... they persisted, but it'd be like trying to change a wheel bearing without lifting the car off the ground first

local supplier of clutch kit - Stage 1 Clutch Kit - Lightweight 228mm Single Mass Flywheel (6.4 kg) - Euro Revolution

Users Country Flag
    That's the one I have in mine Simon. Its an ECS yeah? I didn't go for the lightest flywheel, first stage maybe. Not going to lie it is a major **** fight of a job. If you can do it with two people then that'd save most of the drama. A hoist even better. Its just that as the gearbox moves into place in such a restricted spot you need to cut all sorts of angles and twists etc until it slides in. It helps to unclick the bottom radiator hose from the radiator. If you have stock engine mounts you can dremove the dogbone engine mount and then get the engine on a pretty deep angle down on the passenger side which helps too. By yourself lying on your back under the car it starts to get real heavy real fast so those little tricks help.

mini pictures for those interested (Sam)

Daughter #3 with me 'advising' - she kicked me out a little later
    simon's learning what to do with the polo thread-sachi-villa-grove-jpg

Daughter #1 - she kicked me out a year or so ago - L plates on the car are hers, she drove to and from the event
    simon's learning what to do with the polo thread-akira-villa-grove-4-jpg

cool pictures huh

Users Country Flag
    Cool. At the Ringwood MG club where I do my club hillclimbs they run an event where they have a mini rally/autocross circuit and modify the hillclimb a bit too. You alternate between dirt runs and tarmac runs and they average you best dirt and best tarmac time for a FTD average to determine the winners. I reckon a mini would be sick for that. Cant imagine your spine is very happy after ploughing through the rough course though yeah?
    How about you build a hyabusa mini for me?

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Cool. At the Ringwood MG club where I do my club hillclimbs they run an event where they have a mini rally/autocross circuit and modify the hillclimb a bit too. You alternate between dirt runs and tarmac runs and they average you best dirt and best tarmac time for a FTD average to determine the winners. I reckon a mini would be sick for that.
    that would be an absolute hoot - my mini is quick on both surfaces... I bet they hate it when minis show up

Cant imagine your spine is very happy after ploughing through the rough course though yeah?
    it's not as bad as you might think, mine is quite comfortable but it's all relative...

sure, give me about $8k up front for hardware and mechanicals and labour is $70 per hour - you pay invoices as soon as you get them, and I keep working until it's done

want my bank account number?

Users Country Flag
    A VTEC Mini is more fun

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

I've not driven either, but I really wonder what the torque is like on a bike engined car... it couldn't be real flash... I will get my honda powered car done one day, I've no idea when, but I will do it....

I didn't find dropping the gearbox to be much of a drama, easier than the turbo, but perhaps I was more confident after turbo swaps. You'll need an engine hoist or brace. A second set of hands once the gearbox is released is certainly advantageous. I used a strap around the gears and hoist to allow the gearbox to wiggle and the strap too most of the weight so I didn't drop it on my face. Biggest frustration of the job was removing and reinstalling the drive shafts onto the gearbox, I didn't have a sufficiently long hex bit and was so paranoid about destroying the head - which I did on one.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag

oh yeah you're bringing back memories Sean. Yeah you need the correct drive bits (china is good for them) for the driveshaft bolts (new ones from VW + new driveshaft gaskets a good idea) and various length extensions, torque wrench etc. Nothing is particularly hard its just that the whole lot added up takes a lot of time. Good idea re the strap around the gearbox. I had it on a jack and that made me pioneer brand new expletives and hemorage blood everywhere too.
    Simon if you want a good contact for the cheapest Wavetracs around ( sub 1000 bucks at the time not kidding) then let me know.

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast