Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sams TFSI turbo conversion (maybe!?)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

turbo inlet pipe (tip) & filter

see Page 4, post #34

Last edited by sambb; 09-06-2022 at 12:05 PM.

Great read.

Hope it all goes to plan.

Users Country Flag
    this is actually a brilliant idea sam <3 hope to see this running soon!!
    not sure if your tip and filter post has any content attached to it btw

no the ones left blank are pending, but will be filled out as progress is made

So I put up a bit of an ad but may as well get it on here too. Putting out to the 1.8T 20V people of the world...... I need a stock K03s wastegate actuator. To move forward on this TFSI turbo conversion I need to modify/use the turbosmart wastegate actuator which is on the daily. So to keep my daily running around while I get the good actuator sorted for the conversion, I need a spare I can throw in in its place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can do it as a loaner and give it back to you once the conversion is in (if its your spare on a shelf) or outright buy it off you.
    let me know!!!
    sam

Oh and obviously once this conversion is in, parts will hit the second hand market eg K03s ported exhaust manifold, turbo with ported wastegate tunnel and turbo muffler deleted, most of the dump pipe at least to the first flex joint etc, Forge TIP and most of the 2/3/4 inch inlet pipework, aluminium IC pipe 2 inch that runs between turbo exit out to the IC

Users Country Flag
    excellent stuff Sam

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    So to me thats way dodgy so I'll be transplanting my Turbosmart IWG-75 actuator thats in my car now onto this turbo. Ive already sourced a stainless rod thats long enough. I'll just need to tear a 1/4 inch thread onto it so it'll fit into the actuator piston, I have a choice of springs to use (I'll probably run the single 10psi spring), and then I only have to figure out a better connection onto the flapper arm. Need some advice here as I was actually thinking I'd use a small rose joint. The ones I have are a stainless ball in a brass race. The only issue would be if different expansion rates in the metal would cause it to bind? I'm all ears from racing peoples for advice on that.
    Unless you are looking at temperatures above 300 deg c then it won't be a problem. Below that the expansion rate delta isn't an issue.

Nice thread Sam, some interesting "bush mechanic" solutions, using OE parts. For the turbo plumbing I'd just buy some angled banjo fittings, an oil drain fitting, a couple of lengths of braided line and fabricate them up. On race cars, due to the RPM, butt welded aluminium just doesn't last. VW turbos are just plain horrible to work with, almost everything is a performance compromise.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Cool. thanks Gary. Yeah I found a patent application paper online last night and it used steel/steel rose joints on the wastegate actuator rod end so that was enough for me.
    And you're dead right RE compromises. Today I wanted to compared the stainless rod I'd sourced (to lengthen the turbosmart rod with) strength wise against the VW rod. I went to do a bend test on the VW rod ie just to see how stiff they were relative to each other, and the bloody thing bent like it was a plastic straw! actually felt like a hollow tube. pathetic. Better to find that out now though I guess. Definitely going with the Turbosmart and a 10psi gate pressure now!
    And the worst bit about the DV recirculation within the turbo is that once the air is exhausted from the boosted side back to the atmospheric side, it does so through a port right at the mouth of the comp inducer. Where the comp inlet bends around to guide air into the wheel, there is a gapping void there on the outside of the bend that would just mangle flow. I had actually hoped to weld a bung on the outside of the comp inlet for a straight shot at the shaft nut with a water/meth jet, but now having seen whats on the inside of the bend there its just not going to be possible as errant water would probably just collect in that void.
    The exhaust side is generally a lot better. The angle that the wastegate port peels off the exhaust mani collector into the exhaust is really smooth, but the wastegate flapper port itself is far from contoured on its inside so that'll get a bit of porting tool action to help it flow better. Not a diameter increase but just taking out the nasty step on the upstream side.
    Last edited by sambb; 04-05-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Looking forward to the results of this Sam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast