Support VWWC

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sams Polo 3.0

Users Country Flag

Sams Polo 3.0

So with the death of my second silver Polo its 3rd time lucky hopefully with another. After a good think, I'll again be more or less be going down the line of getting the suspension and chassis as sweet as I can.

First order of business on the new car will be deciding which suspension to use.

Polo 2.0 had MCA XR coilovers. At the time they were one rung down from MCA's top of the line (for non-inverted coilovers) "Reds". Single adjustable bump/rebound, nice spherical adjustable tops and with independent base height and ride height adjustment. Trouble is since the accident damage was on each of the front corners they need to be sent back to QLD for them to give them the once over to check that they are Ok. They should be but I dont want to be putting them either back in the car or selling them without MCA checking everything is ok first.

So with the MCA's I have 3 options
    - get them rebuilt, once over'd, then either run them or sell them $150 each'ish
    - get them rebuilt AND revalved so that instead of roughly 1:3 bump:rebound relationship on the adjustment, I could have 1:4 which I think would really help the front $300 each'ish
    - if the XR inserts are bent then upgrade to the "Red" inserts $550 each'ish

The other path I can take is to retain this cars KW V3's which are non-inverted like the MCA's but with 2 way bump and rebound adjustment and custom adjustable tops. The trouble with these are that I think they need a full overhaul. There's a clunk from the right front ( I bought the car already informed of that - eyes wide open) which I was hoping was just a shagged drop link but it seems that its deeper than that.

So if I end up deciding that the V3's are the way forward, i'll need to find out where I can get KW gear rebuilt for not eye watering prices.

The final path I could take is to sell off the bulk of the suspension setups that I have, probably retaining whichever rear dampers out of each kit suits the stiff rear springs best and fork out for a front pair of some proper Bilstein inverted 1 or 2 way adjustables, nice and stiff (structurally) and valved nicely for the 6 or 7kg/mm fronts that I want to run. If they'd be appropriately valved for say 6kg fronts, I'd even consider doing what SimonK did and convert some Bilstein non adjustable B8's to coilover if they'd outperform the MCA's or KW's by virtue of the fact that are inverted and would bring a stiffness benefit.

Gary.......are you out there?!?

the reason I want to drop slightly from 7kg/mm fronts to 6kg/mm is because when I have the front apart I'll re fit the Whiteline 22mm front anti roll bar. The reasons for that are that the car was better with it particularly on the track, I will be running clutch LSD's from now on so don't need to obsess over the inside fronts traction like I did with the Wavetrac plus also, down the track when I re-modify some wishbones to take Audi TT ball joints again, i'll also look at converting the front anti-roll bar drop links to run off the wishbones rather than the strut. They'll pick up on the wishbone roughly half way along which to my mind will necessitate a slightly stiffer bar to retain the same anti roll as when they picked up off the strut leg with the stock bar. So given that I'll go back to a 2mm larger diameter front bar again and will still be on the street, I think coming back a notch on front spring rates will still work and make it a touch more tolerable.
    Last edited by sambb; 27-10-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    was just in contact with KW and the kit #35280039 which seems to be the part number for V3's for the Polo apparently has spring rates of:

front 3.4kg/mm (200Lb)
    rear 3.9kg/mm (220LB)

going by that I doubt the KW rear valving is up to running up to 8kg (450lb) springs. It might be that the MCA's which came to me with 6kg (335lb) rears (and had initially been suggested with 8kg rears) might be more on the money despite only being 1 way adjustable for bump/rebound.

Users Country Flag
    Took me 2/3 months for KW to get a response to me(lucky you got it right away!!!), and every shop I have asked to rebuild the set I had said "nope"... sooo sold them for $150 because I couldn't be bothered keeping something that was broken. Am too considering what to do with mine as the Vogtlands are great on the budget side, but they are stiffish on potholes compared to the Bilstein B8's. Need to raise the fronts. B14's anyway sound perfect but unsure if their retention rates are any different to the non adjustable B8's. MMmmm. Test, test, test, test and most importantly, test again

7.6k for air suspension Polo specific

Subscribed!

Users Country Flag
    Yeah I'll be following this, too.

Sams Polo 3.0-img_1195-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1192-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1193-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1194-jpg
    I havent been sitting still. The Silver Polo now looks like this. Life got in the way and I could only attack it for an hour here and there rather than just get stuck in, but I got there in the end after some stitches and bleeding!
    Sams Polo 3.0-img_1141-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1227-jpg
    sorry to those who are waiting on parts. I havent forgotten you. So far I've swapped over my silver cars exhaust ( 3 inch dump + UGP 2.5 inch back section) in place of the blue ones full Guy Harding 2.5 inch system. The back section is spoken for but the 2.5 inch dump and cat are for sale for anyone who wants to go Stage 2. Here's the UGP:
    Sams Polo 3.0-img_0564-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0565-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0566-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0671-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0672-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0678-jpg
    Gavs Underground Performance exhaust back section gives you the option of running a non-resonated middle section or a resonated. I opted for the resonated middle section because the car gets petty loud by the time you solid mount everything and that had the added bonus that the section in front of the resonator was 2.75inch. To get that to marry up with the 3inch coming off the back of my cat, I used the plumbers pipe expander tool again to stretch it out to suit a 3inch flange. So now the system is a 3inch dump, 3 inch cat and then 3in-->short 2.75-->2.5 inch back section.

It turns out that the APR K04-001 flash tune does not run the SAI so I went ahead and removed the SAI pump , hard pipe pipework, capped off the combi until I get the blanking plate on the side of the head and blanked off the second O2 sensor on the exhaust and tied the sensor head behind the heat shielding. I also binned the N249 too which gave me access to fit some fresh plugs and swap over the Audi R8 coils:
    Sams Polo 3.0-img_1254-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1255-jpg
    I also dug out an old set of wishbones and did the conversion over to Audi TT RS ball joints. That thread was done a while ago so for anyone who hasnt seen that, the benefit is a higher roll centre position, a physically much larger ball joint (socket and flange), allows you to position the joint well forward for extra caster and gives you additional neg camber too. ie the original ball joint more or less fits inside that cut away in the wishbone. I also pressed out the original rubber front LCA bushes and it'll have superpro's. When these go in I'll use my subframes off the silver Polo. Eddys car had the eccentric bolts too but my subframes have superpro rear LCA bushes set in the caster position whereas his carry the SEAT Cupra solid rubber bushes with no additional caster positioning.
    Sams Polo 3.0-img_1251-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1249-jpg

Other than that my uprated APS fuel pump is in and all that custom quick shift linkaging I'd worked on with the last car is in - I just want to sort a better gear stick out. In the cabin all thats left to do is get my gauges in, fit the MK5 Gti steering wheel ( I'll prefer its cut outs that really make your hands secure on the wheel for when the clutch diff locks up!!) and track down the correct size fire extinguisher for my mount as they nicked the silver cars new one when it was at Pickles the bastards. Oh and all the harness mounts need to be refit before I track it again but thats a way off as I still dont even have tyres and need to re jig the suspension.

The MCA front coilovers have been rebuilt by MCA. One of the shafts was bent in the crash so both have been replaced, and they've also been revalved to pull a bit of bump out of it. That way I can make adjustments for more rebound without the bump being dragged up with it too much which I think was the case before. I ran out of dollars so didnt get them to throw in a pair of 6kg springs. I was also thinking I'd refit the 7kg's for science just to better evaluate the effect of the re-valving but now I'm kind of regretting not getting them. They should be down by the end of the week so it'd be nice to have them in with the subframes, whiteline front bar, and re-worked wishbones in the near future.

other than that the only other thing that I've been working on was making this reinforced clutch release fork in anticipation of the Kaaz gearbox going in with the diesel transporter clutch/PP:
    Sams Polo 3.0-img_0810-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0812-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0813-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0814-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0827-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_0826-jpg

Users Country Flag

Double check clearance on the fork.

I haven’t used an oe spec pressure plate with a reinforced fork.

But when the plates are welded on the top edge and not inside on the fork, they hit the pressure plate with the clutch depressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you're kidding. I checked that it'd clear the bolt bosses at the top of the bellhousing and also clear the pinion relief and it even sat in there against a pinion brace. Didnt think about whether the back of the PP would touch it. Its only going to be a matter of sliding the PP onto the shaft and seeing if it touches with the fork in a few positions yeah? nothing else I need to know? I did check that the face of the clutch release bearing sits proud of the plates but I guess that didnt factor in the angles that the fork will make as the pedal is pressed.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast