Support VWWC

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Sams Polo 3.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I would have done ARP's automatically but there's a fair bit out there where people have written/provided pics about having to retorque them, finding fasteners that have backed off, stud nuts that have mushroomed and bit into the head etc. dunno. For the money I'd expect issue free functionality but it sounds to me that they arent without their issues. Yet there's plenty of reports of OE head bolts doing just fine. Hell even IE dont recommend ARP's until much higher power levels and they are product pusher extrordinaire's. I am leaning towards factory bolts at this stage.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Sam, I wouldn't worry about the extra capacity from the elbow, too small to notice.

I have been using ARP head studs for over 3 decades, the machine shop I use more like 5 decades, and I can't say as we have ever had a single issue between us. Considering the thousands they sell each day it's not unlikely that someone somewhere in the world will have an issue and make big deal of it on social media, lucky to be .000001% of the ARP studs in use. Like all fasteners they are only as good as the operator installing them and what they are physically bolting together.

At some point 300bhp is not going to be enough and a bit of future proofing is never a waste.

Cheers
    Gary
    Last edited by Sydneykid; 09-02-2022 at 08:19 AM.
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Thanks Gary. We’ll I’ve got to pause for a bit to get the supertechs installed into the head first which will give me time to deliberate. There are some ARP bolts in the country for not deal breaker prices so I may look at those.

Users Country Flag
    Poke Poke Poke
    Been waiting for an update for a while

I've almost got my motor built, missing a stud for the tensioner roller and the final pieces like a turbo and all the lines!
    My Polo might become a weekend toy, or there is a A4 that's looking nice on Carsales

VW Nationals trackday at Luddenham 21st May? You running?

zero has been happening with the car lately. My garage leaks like a sieve so lying on a wet floor with drips coming in around me isn't really conducive to tackling decent size projects.
    I most likely will run at Luddenham. I just have to check within the next week or two that that date doesnt become a hunting trip.
    It seems my LSD isn't dead afterall. It just seems to be very sensitive to any gearbox oil degradation. After my last oil change it started banging and crashing really soon after and I thought I'd actually killed a CV. It would lock up just trickling out of the driveway and then thump and clang despite just breathing on the throttle. When I put in a Nulon synthetic GL5 with LSD additive (normally use a GL4 Nulon without an LSD additive) , it was the worst it had ever been so I was certain that I wasn't going to be able to run at DubNats. Turns out that an additional squirt of Redline LSD additive shut it up within a kay or two and the driveshaft is tip top!
    So I'll just get a fresh set of front pads into it and get some fresher AO50's swapped onto the rims and it should be trackable. It'll nearly be a year since I was last on track I think, or it feels like it, and I've never been to Luddenham so I'm not expecting too much. Will just be good to get out on track again.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    zero has been happening with the car lately. My garage leaks like a sieve so lying on a wet floor with drips coming in around me isn't really conducive to tackling decent size projects.
    I most likely will run at Luddenham. I just have to check within the next week or two that that date doesnt become a hunting trip.
    It seems my LSD isn't dead afterall. It just seems to be very sensitive to any gearbox oil degradation. After my last oil change it started banging and crashing really soon after and I thought I'd actually killed a CV. It would lock up just trickling out of the driveway and then thump and clang despite just breathing on the throttle. When I put in a Nulon synthetic GL5 with LSD additive (normally use a GL4 Nulon without an LSD additive) , it was the worst it had ever been so I was certain that I wasn't going to be able to run at DubNats. Turns out that an additional squirt of Redline LSD additive shut it up within a kay or two and the driveshaft is tip top!
    So I'll just get a fresh set of front pads into it and get some fresher AO50's swapped onto the rims and it should be trackable. It'll nearly be a year since I was last on track I think, or it feels like it, and I've never been to Luddenham so I'm not expecting too much. Will just be good to get out on track again.
    Hi Sam, suggest you have a chat to Justin about the right oil to use in the transaxle with LSD.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

yeah I will next time I see him. thx. I had used Penrite ProGear 75W85 GL4 which was 90% with the diff. I then went to a Nulon full synth GL4 that you'd said Justin used with the Kaaz in the civic. It was 85% ok but pretty quickly got worse and needed some friction modifier added to work in comute/street driving without banging. Thats when I thought I'd go to Nulons version that had a friction modifier already in it. It was GL5 but they assured me that my synchros would be fine with it which they have been. But despite thinking using an oil already with an LSD additive would be the best choice, it very quickly got worse and worse until only a few months later it wasn't even driveable. So the nulon with a diff additive needed a third party Redline additive put in as well to get me to where that Penrite oil had me. It could also be that the diff, an SQS 1 way with what feel like pretty aggressive ramps, is just well worn, maybe the oil channels in the plates are worn off?? Dunno, but it doesnt feel like a wheel is going to fall off anymore and mums don't pull their kids into them as I go banging past at the shops ha ha

Hope your saw my FB msg

Keep an eye on your dates as I know spots are filling up quickly!

Gday James. Sorry yep I did. I'll get on it. Are other makes welcome or only if the VW spots are undersubscribed?

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast