Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Sams Polo 3.0

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    yeah 35 psi made me wince with the Dunlops. Good way to kill a pricey tyre! I cant justify yoko softs for the rear just based on a dollar per km, but I can definitley justify AR-1's. I'll still stay with Yoko mediums all round for the track (just a bit narrower 205's at the rear) but pretty keen to at least test out the AR-1 quick to grip theory for hillclimbs. If they turn out to be no better than yoko mediums on the rear at hillclimbs or say a tarmac rally sprint, then i'll just stick them on the front of the car when its in daily duties and use them up.
    We are running as a support category for weekend #3 (Nov 13/14) of the Supercars month at SMS, so there will be some 225's and 205's before and after.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Didn't even know the supercars were going to be on then. Nice. Alright I'll be on the phone to Levens in the days after, and i'll be more than happy to finish off any of your abused left overs!!

Users Country Flag
    Don't know what happened above... Anyway. I've been a bit slow, I had checked your old thread a few times over the past year and thought you'd just stopped posting! But you've been busy. Good to catch up on some of the things we hadn't talked about. How's the engine build going?

On the brakes front, changing my car over to a proper unassisted dual master with balance bar setup is one of my favourite changes on my car. The setup I built bolts the bias bar and masters on in place of the booster, and I just used T's at the factory bias valve location (in your case ABS), so it can all be pretty easily reverted to stock if ever needed. Also allows me to have an adjustable pedal ratio. I also reckon ARP head studs are always a good thing, but I understand trying to pick the best cost compromise.

sorry here it is again. sweet jesus that sound:
    Formula Supra DYNO! - YouTube

Hi mate. No I havent been standing still. Need to sort:
    - bigger BMC
    - rear beam bushes. I've had a mysterious knock that comes straight through the floor on decel when you throw it into a corner. After having a look at what looks like collapsed bushes I'm going to need to drop the rear beam. Could that have been why the arse of the car felt like it wasn't connected to the front the last couple of times on track? maybe
    - doing lots of measuring/planning etc so I can try to get ahead of any potential dramas come engine/gearbox swap time.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds good mate. Any chance of you making a day at Ringwood or Wakefield in the next couple of months? Interesting about the bushes, will be interesting to see if that was the issue or the tyres I guess?

I've been having dramas with my Astra electric power steering pump now that I've been able to get it out on track. Bit frustrating, but I'm sure I'll work it out one way or another. Has Pete had any dramas with his?

Yeah I reckon I'll be good for a track day soon. I'll get this rear beam issue sorted and the BMC in. I have a set of Hawk HP+ pads to go in the front too. My brakes were woeful last time out at Wakefield so I really need to address all that to have the car ready first though. I did just drop a large amount of money (for me) on a compound Bow so I'm not going to go nuts with track stuff before christmas though just to keep the bank manager happy.
    No pete's been happy with his power steering. He's never had a bad thing to say about it. Whats it doing?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    I've been having dramas with my Astra electric power steering pump now that I've been able to get it out on track. Bit frustrating, but I'm sure I'll work it out one way or another. Has Pete had any dramas with his?
    We have been running the same Astra pump in one of the cars for 4 years, never had an issue with it, what is the problem?

Cheers
    Gary

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Yeah I reckon I'll be good for a track day soon. I'll get this rear beam issue sorted and the BMC in. I have a set of Hawk HP+ pads to go in the front too. My brakes were woeful last time out at Wakefield so I really need to address all that to have the car ready first though. I did just drop a large amount of money (for me) on a compound Bow so I'm not going to go nuts with track stuff before christmas though just to keep the bank manager happy.
    Who do you do the track days with Sam?

Cheers
    Gary

Which track day provider do you mean? Anyone really. Depends mostly on a favourable date but mostly Trackschool.
    If you mean people, mostly 2 guys from the hillclimb comps ( best mate and Andrew from on here with the vette) and another mate who’s building up his IS300 2J. Last time out I went to Wakefield with James Fleet from MIA engines. He runs a historic class 240Z and some guys he knew that have HQ’s.
    Gary IPRA didn’t run at SMSP on the supercar weekend did it?
    Last edited by sambb; 11-11-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast