Support VWWC

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Sams Polo 3.0

Users Country Flag

The only downside is we can't rotate tyres front to rear, so instead of carrying 2 spares (1 x Left and 1 x Right) we have to carry 4. An upside is that the 205's are cheaper than the 225's.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So my compomotive 16 x 8's with 225/45/16 are 18kg. As a point of reference what were the RPF01 16 x 8's with the same tyres?

sad. Sabine Schmitz died. She was good value..... and fast! watch

Sabine Schmitz Last Moments Before Her Death - YouTube

Got an oil cooler plumbing question as I have to redo most of what came with the car. I thought it had a thermostated sandwich plate but its plate just redirects the flow without any temp regulation.
    So is it usual to go pump/housing>thermo plate>cooler>plate return>filter OR do you filter first and then send the oil out to the cooler?
    Also in a vertically mounted cooler does it matter if you bring the pumped source oil in at the base or the top?

edit: I should clarify. The car is running a remote filter so I have the option of doing the oil cooling either pre or post filter.
    Last edited by sambb; 21-03-2021 at 02:08 PM.

I would say filtering pre cooler would be better, in case foreign objects slowly create a blockage in the cooler core.

Pump side on top to assist gravity draining at the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    So my compomotive 16 x 8's with 225/45/16 are 18kg. As a point of reference what were the RPF01 16 x 8's with the same tyres?
    I can't say as I have weighed them with tyres recently, without tyres the RPF1 in 16 x 8 weighs 7.1kgs and the TE37 weigh 5.7kgs. From memory the RPF1 and tyre together was 16.something Kgs I think those tyres were brand new so full tread and weight. I'll be at the workshop tonight, I'll try and remember to weigh a couple.

Cheers
    Gary

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Got an oil cooler plumbing question as I have to redo most of what came with the car. I thought it had a thermostated sandwich plate but its plate just redirects the flow without any temp regulation.
    So is it usual to go pump/housing>thermo plate>cooler>plate return>filter OR do you filter first and then send the oil out to the cooler?
    Also in a vertically mounted cooler does it matter if you bring the pumped source oil in at the base or the top?

edit: I should clarify. The car is running a remote filter so I have the option of doing the oil cooling either pre or post filter.
    On a wet sumps system I run oil pump ---> filter ---> cooler ---> engine. Keeps the gunk out of the oil cooler and lines. Oil coolers are basically a throw away if you lunch an engine with the cooler plumbed before the filter.

I'm not a fan of mounting the cooler vertically, but when it is unavoidable I plumb the oil pump output into the bottom of the cooler to make sure that there is no air trapped in the core (which can happen if you run the feed into the top). I also run the engine up on the starter motor first (no spark plugs, fuel pumps off) to make sure that there is no air trapped in the cooler, lines or the remote filter.

Cheers
    Gary

Jeez the volks are light arent they. I didnt realise the RPF01's were as light as that too. They are in my gumtree/ebay keyword alerts as of now so that hopefully I come across a pair.
    RE the oil cooler thats what I thought. Makes sense and its logistically easier for me RE plumbing doing it that way. Just wanted to be sure. By having the remote filter I can now run with the oil/water heat exchanger in place (good for street/hillclimb minimum temps) and will have the flow to the oil cooler stat controlled so I should have best of both worlds with that setup. Time to drop some bucks on a few more pushlock fittings and then i'll crack on with that.

Users Country Flag
    The 16 x 8 RPF1's are a bit heavier than they need to be, they actually have the 15" centres and the 16" barrels are bellied down to fit the smaller diameter. As a comparison the 17 x 9 RPF1s that I have on the Skyline are 7.3 kgs, so only 0.2kgs heavier than the 16 x 8's. If Enkei had used a 16" centre then they would be probably ~0.4 kgs lighter. That's why the TE37's were appealing.

To bad you don't have 5 x 114 as there are 2 sets of RPF1's not being used any more.

Oh and we had a couple of issues last night so I forgot to weigh the wheels with tyres.

Cheers
    Gary

Sams Polo 3.0-img_1612-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1613-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1614_2-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1615_2-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1616-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1617_2-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1618_2-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1620-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1621-jpg
    Finally got around to doing a DV relocation to just in front of the TB. I'd done this on the last car and found better boost response after gearchanges, quieter DV operation (less BOV'y) and negates the compressor surge that my car gets when I reverse up the hill out of my garage (that no doubt my neighbours hate me for).
    My car has A Harding performance 2/1/4in pipe from IC to TB which opens up to 2.5in just before the TB. Pipe is 2.5in with 1"tee for the turbosmart DV. Basically wherever you do this in the pre throttle body area, just run the DV output hose around to the stock location in the TIP and make sure you plug in the hot pipe where the DV used to be fed from.

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast