Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Sams Polo 3.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

What I can say so far is that the steering is lighter at lock to lock when you are at pedestrian speeds. Before, the steering would be loaded up in your hands (which I’d mistakenly blamed on the clutch pack LSD) and then want to unwind really hard like when you have shagged strut top bearings. That now doesn’t happen which definitely points to the fact that the more lock you had on, the more the FARB was being twisted torsionally because the struts were dragging the drop links laterally and having a push pull effect on the bar.
    I threw it into a few corners but its hard to get a gauge on this sort of thing until you’re on a track I think. Also previously I’d either been running around on the 24mm FARB when it was acting on the strut (way too front stiff) so I’d been running mostly with the bar disconnected completely. Anything I feel in the short term is most likely just re discovering what a well sorted front end feels like so I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve driven it a bit more. But as it stands the droplinks clear the driveshafts nicely and align almost vertically and don’t hit anything so I’m super happy with the initial outcome.
    To re-iterate the 24mm bar when acting on the wishbone half way along its length should theoretically be the same as a 22mm bar in a stock setup. It does feel like that’s where its at in terms of front end roll stiffness (I’d run that way on the first car for a couple of years). Achieving that was my main worry, so so far so good.
    pics to
    come.

Sams Polo 3.0-img_1527-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1534-jpgSams Polo 3.0-img_1525-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Very nice work Sam, well done!

thanks mate. only took me two years to finally do it. Hopefully it wont take another crash-rebuild before I get those S3 hubs in there!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    What I can say so far is that the steering is lighter at lock to lock when you are at pedestrian speeds. Before, the steering would be loaded up in your hands (which I’d mistakenly blamed on the clutch pack LSD) and then want to unwind really hard like when you have shagged strut top bearings. That now doesn’t happen which definitely points to the fact that the more lock you had on, the more the FARB was being twisted torsionally because the struts were dragging the drop links laterally and having a push pull effect on the bar.
    The exact effect we talked about, it's dynamically horrible and I have no idea why manufacturers ever used it.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

I’m guessing that by running the drop links off the strut they can fit a lighter farb for a given front anti roll and can then build tin thin wishbones ? Basically just less steel??

I got the tyres off Justin today Gary. Probably the best looking set I’ve ever had! Hey congrats on the IPRA championship with Justin for last year. That’s unreal.

Users Country Flag
    I’m guessing that by running the drop links off the strut they can fit a lighter farb for a given front anti roll and can then build tin thin wishbones ? Basically just less steel??
    I was supervising a pit stop wheel change on a Porsche GT3 yesterday and believe it or not they have drop links off the front struts, so there must be more to it than simply cost. Unfortunately we have a State Championship round this weekend at Wakefield, otherwise I was going to Bathurst, a friend of mine is racing in Super3 plus I have an standing invite to spend some time with the Erebus engineers. I'm going to add this to my list of questions.

Cheers
    Gary

Users Country Flag
    I got the tyres off Justin today Gary. Probably the best looking set I’ve ever had! Hey congrats on the IPRA championship with Justin for last year. That’s unreal.
    Glad you like the tyres, we use them up, there will be more. So make sure you "use" them hard.

Thanks, it was hard work, that's 2 State championships engineering for Justin, one in a RWD car and one in a FWD car. This time we were 2nd on pace but 1st on reliability, the last time we were 1st on pace and 2nd on reliability. Luck always plays a part, last time we had good luck with a timely pace car intervention and this time our competition had bad luck. You take it when it comes your way. Now we need to do it again, I haven't gone back to back since 2004/2005 and 1999/2000, so all stops are out.

Cheers
    Gary

In-Depth Look at The Honda K24 Based V8 Build by Neutron Engines - YouTube

Gary you're going to like this. A Neutron K48 (two K24's built in to a V. I've seen bike engines done this way but not OE car heads. I know how you like Hondas, so a new Stagea motor?

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast