Page 188 of 190 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190 LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 1896

Thread: Sam's build thread

Sounds like a ripper car already!

Keen to see the master cylinder stopper/brace if you can grab a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Had a feeling you've got a hold of another! Dave whispered in my ear
    Best Polo colour definitely!!

Am too interested in the bracing for the master cylinder, for the power, really good idea! As well as those brake ducts. There are plastic shrouds you attach to the control arm that would do that, seen those around recently. Wondering if it's something different.

Market is going to heat up heaps...

Have FUNN!! I'm waiting to finish uni to dig into the car again

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    When the seller made it he put pics up on another forum but then got photobucketed and I haven't been able to find them. Installed, you cant see it at all. Its just so tight in there.
    Yeah the ducts are a similar design to those plastic ones you see adapted off an R or something but they are made of formed aluminium I think and turn into more of a nozzle that really shoots the airflow right in at the brakes. They pick up on under body air and are also fed from the fog facias via ducting.
    Driveway is wet and shady at the moment so I'm being a bit girly and dont want to lay down in that but i'll get to it soon.

We have seen the new one. Got a pic of the old post mortem?

That looks a very tidy buy Sam, and well equipped. Good to keep a VW amongst the track day crowd, too many car park warriors out there
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Eddy's old bus? Nice place to start! It'll be interesting to see how it compares in performance to your previous.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Choose two.

Yep. I'm so lucky he was ready to sell it at the time of the crash. Honestly if I hadn't had that offer I wouldn't have kept on with a Polo. If I was going to have to more or less start over on a stock road car then there was no real reason to stay in the VW camp. Like any write off on a modified car you are well and truly out of pocket even if its not your fault so Eddys car was the only way I could get back out on the track and also be able to recover dollars lost from the old cars wreck. His car is pretty much complete. There are a few bits and pieces that will find their way across to the new car because they are either newer on better spec and a few setup changes and service things to be done but really I could do an event tomorrow.
    Setup is such a personal thing and the car due to its suspension spec and particularly the diff is completely different to drive. I'll take the time to get used to it because I think its fair to say that with the clutch LSD the car will tolerate more front end roll stiffness than my wavetrac setup did. The diff locks up much more abruptly than the wavetrac and I need to take the time to work out if thats a service issue ie oil, friction modifier, a legacy of having had Shockproof in it or if thats just how it behaves. It honestly feels like how I imagined running a welded diff in a FWD would be when it is locked up. Civil as anything when not locked but pretty mutant when it is. If thats how its intended to behave though I'd probably need to think about just how much caster and rim offset is appropriate because it'll be much harder to hang onto than the wavetrac diff in the tight stuff with as much as before. Its going to be weird when all the power under your foot can actually make it into the road!
    Last edited by sambb; 03-10-2020 at 07:19 AM.

Attachment 50975 APR intercooler vertical single pass. Still a tube and fin design. A lot of the airflow to it is obscured by the crash structure though. I'll have the SEAT Sport one on hand in case its temps look to have been better than the APR one.
    Attachment 50976Attachment 50977 The brake ducting. When you look under the car there's probably more than enough air feed just from air running under the undertray, but they are also fed by fog facia ducts that conduct air through the engine bay and then out into the wheel well through the convoluted tube you can see there. Like I said RE tweaks - I'd probably look at making these removable just so that every piece of crap off the road doesnt squirt directly into the brakes and I wouldnt want a good puddle to damage them.

Attachment 50978 Compomotive MO1681's 8Jx16 ET35 with 225/45/16 A050's (18kg total) which is same as a stock rim/wheel. Need to switch to 225's now as my 15's wont fit over the TT Mk1 brakes. Any 225's kicking around Gary? I'll swap you some 215 and 205/50's!
    Attachment 50979 RE tweaks again - while the front brakes will be awesome I'm not sure if vented TT discs with the bigger calipers are needed on the back of a Polo. They'd add a lot of unsprung mass to the rear suspension and on a 64:36 weight split FWD car (well different to a 4WD TT and much lighter overall) I'm not sure they'd be needed. I think I remember people saying that the addition of the TT rears with the Polo master cylinder starts to make the pedal get a bit long too. Easiest way to remedy all of the above if its an issue would be to just swap in my entire complete rear beam including all the toe shimming I'd done, with the brand new T2 discs and rebuilt stock calipers but again I want to drive it in anger first and get a feel for whats going on before I make any decisions like that. It would all be fully reversible though even if I did do that.
    Attachment 50980 This is Eddys brace. I think the flange is cut off the base of a stock engine mount and then the bracket welded to it extends to the master cylinders snout and has adjustment in it. The flange I think is mounted vertically onto the inside of the strut tower but how I don't know. Could be Riv-nuts or through bolted with a backing plate - don't know yet. Its the kind of thing thats effects wont really be felt till I'm on the track.
    Attachment 50981 Eddy should have this up on his wall. Great Pic! My old car was definitely not quicker when going over the kerbs to that extent as the diff would have just opened and then had a little wobbly when it landed again. Would have to be one of the main reasons why I'm 7/10ths off his best Wakefield time. Also I was on 205 A050's when I did my time. So pretty excited to see where i'll get it to!!!!

Attachments no good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Yeh, attachments not working for some reason? But yeh, sounds great. The clutch diff if setup aggressively will lock up solid under power. Might take some driving adjustments, but as you say is likely to ultimately be faster. Look forward to seeing it!

Page 188 of 190 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190 LastLast