Page 186 of 190 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 1896

Thread: Sam's build thread

Users Country Flag

Sorry to hear the news Sam, glad you're OK, have you tried talking to he insurance company? I have bought 2 cars back after they were written off, one was my son's R33GTST that was stolen and then used in a drive by. I bought it back from Shannons as they knew I would pay more for it than they would get from some punter at an auction.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Gary. Yeah it seems that its insurance companies in the AAMI group inc Shannons that give you salvage rights. When I was rear ended 3 years ago I was with aami and basically got my insurance payout minus 800 dollars for the wreck. The wreck was in my driveway as I was able to limp it around so that was all dead easy. This time around though the car wasnt going anywhere and had to be towed. I was only with NRMA this year because they had very cheap comprehensive and stupid me forgot to check if they give salvage rights. Turns out they don't and the moment it was towed to their holding yard, and it was a dead certainty to be a write off, it becomes their property.
    A lesson to all. If your car is loaded with mods and you cant afford the insurance premium when the value of all your mods are added on, or they'll only insure for market value THEN MAKE SURE YOU GO WITH A COMPANY THAT'LL LET YOU BUY YOUR WRECK BACK or you might loose it all.

Users Country Flag
    bad luck mate, I absolutely hate reading about this stuff happening. can't imagine how gutted you would be, chin up...

thank you mate. I'll hopefully have something dub'ish in the pipeline so all might not be lost. However I did spend an hour down at the local Karting workshop today getting the lay of the land on a TAG spec Kart and the masters series that are run around sydney. Sounds pretty full on actually and I'm thinking maybe not so much cheaper than playing with cars than I'd thought.

Well I won the auction and secured my car pretty cheaply. I have to get the car removed from there by wednesday, so the stripping will begin within a week from now.
    As it stands I'm not decided whether I'll do it all again with a Polo. If I do I have the option of either swapping over into another cheap shell or buying a decent turn key track ready Polo. I dont think i've got the inclination, time, marriage credit or motivation to do a ground up job again so it'd have to be a track ready car that would convince me to stay. Failing that its going to be the NA world of Honda.

The amount of 1.8T 20V and Polo specific parts I would have on hand to sell is pretty enormous. I complete engine, 1 long engine, 2 built LSD gearboxes, shifter gear, TIP, turbo, exhaust manifolds, IC and pipework, brand new from the factory Large port head, vibratechnics mounts, full exhaust system, looms/ecu, suspension, fabricated subframes, road and track wheels with lots of 15 inch R-spec semis, fog facias made for cooling ducts, baffled sump templates, golf 6 GTI turbo and CB adapter plate and more or less everything you need for that conversion, injectors with hat extensions to make them compatible to large port inlet manifolds, large port inlet mani, forged rods, refurbed/coated S3 pistons and rings, bottom end/top end rebuild kit, all gaskets, IE timing gear, all the eyelets and bits needed to be able to run a 6 point harness (I'm keeping the seat though), short side refurbed driveshaft, lots of origianl bits, wheel spacers, rear stub axle spacers for track widening, complete complete stripped rear beam and one off the car that has stub spacers and toe/camber plates already fitted, DBA t2 front and rear discs, rebuilt rear calipers (20,000km old kind of rebuilt),wheel bolts, lots of special tools eg for timing belts inc belts/dampers/tensioners and hardware blah blah blah.

At this stage thats just the off the top of my head stuff. scarily there's more. So I'm not 100% on leaving the show but if I do, and you are thinking you'll commit to any of those bits, especially the big ticket things, then let me know and it'll help me make my decision.

Honda plan is shaping up to be an FN2 Civic type R with a K24 bottom end being the long view. Being a mac strut/torsion beam rear chassis I have experience with that and can get on top of that quickly unlike the trial and error it was with this car. Thinking I need some high rev NA purity in my future track outings. But like I said - still not a dead cert on that.

I’d potentially be keen for an LSD/box and the gear for the belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Sam!! Knew you'd get it.. I hope you don't stray away from the 1.8T for the amount of time, money, parts and effort you've put into it.. but again. You'd be bored with all this by now.

If teamshaw is calling dibs.. um. I'll have to shoot myself but
    LSD. Forged Rods(and suitable hardware to do most of the job), TIP(mine is eh), Turbo, vibratecnic mounts. Sump template oh yes anything to build fun boys on the 1.8T side... Or a complete engine 🤔 going to be expensive as hell to ship down to Melbourne 🤦
    .... Don't let me start bro, I'm terrible 🤣🤣🤣
    But again, I'm hoping to track my car as soon as I can!!!!

Don't leave!!!!!!!!! But. You have to see the fun in it otherwise... Where's the entertainment and love for what you're planning.
    P.S. all my friends bought Honda's.. I got a Honda too, but it takes care of the front yard 🤣

So i'll have the wavetrac box and also the good good un-run Kaaz plate diff box that has a slighly longer diff ratio. Both have had the bellhousings relieved to fit a single mass flywheel/pressure plate. The wavetrac box is used since the end of 2017 I think (you'd have to check the thread), the Kaaz box has a brand new ring gear and pinion a smidgen longer , rebuilt Kaaz DBV1820 with brand new super Q plates and a heavier duty pinion bearing race too. It'll cost substantially more because of the better and rebuilt diff, brand ring gear and pinion and unused too.
    I'll also have 1 X ECS steel flywheel that would need to be skimmed and re balanced with whatever pressure plate it goes back in with. I have a brand new transporter T4 clutch and pressure plate (think in term of Stage 2 clutch) with brand new release bearing and clutch alignment tool as well. Basically everything you'd need for a full box swap. inc driveshaft cork seals too. Oh and a recently welded up/reinforced clucth release fork to ensure it doesnt flex/bend under the stg 2 clutch.
    Like I said I've got a lot of bits.

JTop yeah I have everything for a full engine rebuild. Basically all the parts for a complete large port (brand new and vacuum tested the valve seats, cleaned up and reprimed hydraulic lifters and brand new cams with non-VVT tensioner) headed, S3 pistoned (new ring set and linished wrist pins), forged rod engine. Rods are X beam style (like Barteks). They are brutes. All the head/block/mani gasket kits, timing belts/gear, water pump, front/rear main seals, conrod bearings. Only thing that hadnt been ordered was the main bearings as things would need to be measured first.
    Ev14 550cc injectors, hats for LP inlet mani, APS fuel pump etc etc etc

If I commit to bailing, I'll do a massive list in the parts section and that'll be buy time. A lot of it could be done as a package eg the engine rebuild gear all together or just head and block seperately. The turbo, ported exhaust mani should probably go together. Or I could sell the custom ecu file with injectors (for stock maf) and turbo gear together as they all match too.
    The exhaust is a full custom 3inch dump section into Under Ground 2.75 into resonator into 2.5in back section. Really that would be better sold as a full complete length because the two halves are flanged after the cat and are now a matched pair.
    anyway just to get people thinking .......

Page 186 of 190 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188 ... LastLast