Support VWWC

Page 101 of 190 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1896

Thread: Sam's build thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hey Andrew no worries. Was going to have to martial the mum in law to look after the kids and do very unpopular things like that to be able to do that day at Wakefield anyway. All good. I'll look into how busy Ludenham gets on the weekend - maybe its not that hectic and we could do that's sooner. Rememebr that on school nights (Tuesdays and Thursdays) from Novemebr onwards are the Eastern Ck twilight rallysprints too. Reckon you'll do the Dapto/Huntley round of the Hillclimbs? Theyt did a practice day there last year in case you were able to make a weekend of it. Most beautiful setting running up an old coal road that goes up the escarpment above Wollongong with the pits next to paddocks in dairy land. Very fast and very hairy and probably the most exhilarating equivalent to Bathurst for having shaking hands when you get out at the top.

When you order the nordlocks Simon they come in a standard size that is too small - it will barely cover the size of the exhaust mani's hole. They do a larger diameter version that will match the of the relief machined into the exhaust mani where the VW bolt/washer goes. They were a special order when I got them but I think you're wasting your time with the standard sized nordlocks and others have tried them and failed.
    ha ha we're special.. No no just a normal bolt with an unthreaded shank before the thread starts (not a shank that's undersized under the thread sizes though) - just for a little bit of extra 'fill' of the bolt hole. I've read about guys in the states linishing the surfaces dead flat and not even using a gasket, just sealant, and then bolting them mofo tight. I mean eddy bloody well welded his bolts in once they were tightened!

Hoyhoy.

To Improve Me Polo.

To Improve Me Polo. - Page 3

Plenty of probs before doing this, NONE after.
    Hooroo.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Hey Andrew no worries. Was going to have to martial the mum in law to look after the kids and do very unpopular things like that to be able to do that day at Wakefield anyway. All good. I'll look into how busy Ludenham gets on the weekend - maybe its not that hectic and we could do that's sooner. Rememebr that on school nights (Tuesdays and Thursdays) from Novemebr onwards are the Eastern Ck twilight rallysprints too. Reckon you'll do the Dapto/Huntley round of the Hillclimbs? Theyt did a practice day there last year in case you were able to make a weekend of it. Most beautiful setting running up an old coal road that goes up the escarpment above Wollongong with the pits next to paddocks in dairy land. Very fast and very hairy and probably the most exhilarating equivalent to Bathurst for having shaking hands when you get out at the top.
    Sounds good. Yeh, I plan to make it to Huntley, at least at this stage. And yeh, I'll run the practice day too if they offer it. Never been there before, but sounds good.

I'm definitely keen for the rally sprints. Can you run them without a roll bar/cage/Hans?

Yep anything goes really provided its a tin top. Predominantly trailered cars and no road reg class. I'm in 3-4L 2WD and you'd be in over 4L 2WD

Alright so I spoke to VW and they can do a stock sump for 450 bucks! bargain not. That probably rules out welding a new sump with a baffle kit. My mech mate is about to weld an equally old/oily sump from an SR20 soon so we might have to see how he goes with that. But if welding an old sump turns out to be a no go then this TSR drop in baffle plate might do the trick. Opinions please but I have a couple of reservations with it though. So the baffles will stop the rate at which oil leaves the pickup area - good, but compared to a gated baffle, it will also slow down the rate at which oil enters the oil pickup area from the other side too - bad yes? Now I have no idea how far up the sump walls the oil sits compared to the baffles in this TSR sump especially when you are under way and a fair amount of oil is up in the engine. So even if its harder for oil to enter the oil pickup area than in a gated sump, is the pickup area always going to be full of oil because oil will be coming in over as well as under the baffles that's on the inlet side or will the oil coming in be forced to move in through those small holes in the baffle walls? I doubt it would work as well as a gated baffle but could it be worse than nothing?

Users Country Flag
    yank the sump off your spare motor and tip a couple of litres of water into it?

but really - if you wanted to put baffles into a 2nd hand sump without welding it, make plates that go across it with a tab on either end and stick a bolt through it - it'll seal fine

not a bad idea re the tabs. Just sold the INA sump. I'm a dope for not measuring the baffle heights/sizes relative to the flange etc. Got in contact with Bill/Badger 5 and he said to be careful of sumps that look OEM that have baffles already welded in them. He said he's seen some suspect castings and it was him that suggested welding the forge trays into an OE sump so that you know you are dealing with a good casting. I'll keep thinking. If you're interested we could split the shipping on the TSR if peeps think they are ok without gates.

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    not a bad idea re the tabs. Just sold the INA sump. I'm a dope for not measuring the baffle heights/sizes relative to the flange etc.
    I can measure for you Sam
    MODS- TOO MANY

Thatd be good mate. The distance from the the cyl 1 side of the sump to the first baffle and then how far apart the baffles are from each other, the heights of the baffles relative to the top flange (probably have to remove the top plate for that), the height of the cut out in the one that the oil pickup fits into. zero rush mate - just whenever. thx

Page 101 of 190 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast