Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAI - question for dummies

SAI - question for dummies

Hi. I have read the posts on how to remove the SAI, but it does not go into finer detail on how to remove the 3 lugs (see pic) that slot into the SAI and screw into the ...
    Can someone explain simply, how I remove those in order to remove and replace) the SAI.
    Cheers, John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAI - question for dummies-sai-lugs-jpg  
    2007 Polo GTi std
    1991 Nissan Pulsar GTi-R
    2007 Fiesta ST150 mountune kit

Users Country Flag
    Its hard to remember from when I did it and the pic doesn't jog my memory either. But I can say that I don't remember mucking around with that part. The SAI is attached (probably via that piece you are referring to) to a black pressed steel bracket. It is in turn bolted to the underside of the inlet manifold and maybe somewhere on the block. Just unbolt the entire setup including the black steel bracket all in one go. It doesn't look like it but it will all come out.

Users Country Flag
    leave those parts alone, those always become fragile and break
    there are three top bolts that hold it in place, one is for the dipstick so you will want a nut to hold it back in place.
    after that, if you remove your pd130, SLOWLY pull it away, DISCONNECT THE REAR CLIP, you don't see it, so fiddle around the back end of the unit and then it just awkwardly pulls out.

Then it goes to deleting the vacuum lines, can post a pic of how to do a clean finish with those. just need a 8mm elbow piece
    Once you disconnect you'll need to also code it to remove the check engine light from coming on
    hope this helps

Thanks for the quick replies, wasn't intending to delete the SAI, just replace it with the one i bought off the net.
    If deleting it altogether is simple enough for a noob, then I dont see any point in carry extra weight, particularly at the front up high.
    Cheers, John
    2007 Polo GTi std
    1991 Nissan Pulsar GTi-R

Users Country Flag
    Its nothing to remove the pump, tubes, solenoids/pipes off the cam cover etc but...…… the car will give a check engine light (CEL) on about your third start after you remove it. The ECU looks to see that the car is running super lean at start up since that's what the SAI does - it pumps air into the exhaust ports to fire up the cat converter like a furnace asap so that its effective from the get go. Emissions basically. So you can remove the hardware but the software needs to be altered so that the ECU thinks startup mixtures are Aok therefore preventing the CEL. You don't really want the CEL because if you do have a legit failure, you'll never know - the light will already be lit.
    I'd talk to someone like Gav from UG performance re a tune that can kill off the SAI. Or better yet get a stage 1 tune + SAI delete!!

Thanks for the explanation of how the SAI works.
    Am keen to have a tune, as owned a similar car with one before and it transformed the car.
    My clutch isn't likely to last long if I do that now as it is at end of travel when releasing
    2007 Polo GTi std
    1991 Nissan Pulsar GTi-R

Users Country Flag
    You would be surprised how strong a stock clutch can be. I know a few guys that run stock clutches on stage 3 cars.
    I might have a stock file with the SAI switched off, can chuck that on cheap if you're in Melbourne.

So now noticed you're a kiwi. Lol. I know a guy over there that could flash it. But I have only ever dealt with him online. So not sure where he lives.

Hi Gav, thanks for the offer but I am in Christchurch, NZ.
    My last Polo had a tune from Chip Tuning here in Christchurch, about 195hp, 290Nm, and loved it.
    Keen to do it again but thought a clutch releasing near end of travel meant it was on its last legs and don’t want to have it slipping with all the extra torque. Don’t have the funds to do both right now
    2007 Polo GTi std
    1991 Nissan Pulsar GTi-R

Users Country Flag
    I looked up where Duncan lives and he is in New Plymouth. So may as well be on the moon.lol
    When does the drive start to engage, is it with your foot almost off the pedal?

yes, near the end of release
    2007 Polo GTi std
    1991 Nissan Pulsar GTi-R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast