Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing gearbox oil

Replacing gearbox oil

Hi guys, since my warranty is out, I am trying to save $ by going to a 3rd party mechanic.

What's involved in replacing the gearbox oil? Any special instructions?

Thanks!
    06 Polo GTI - REVO Stage 2 = 140kw @ wheels.
    06 Golf GTI - Bluefin Stage 1 blacked out with ED30 theme, leather, xenon, etc.

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    pm sent
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

I just changed mine, you will need 2 liter of the gearbox oil
    Parts # G 070 726 A2

Just some easy steps, if you have right tools!
    2013 4Motion "BLACK BEAR"
    http://blackbeartiguan.blogspot.hk//

First post today! So quiet everyone....

Anyway, thank you Jmac for your email. Much appreciated...

Thanks Jmac, (and to kevnii)

ML90 is in. Took about 1.8 bottles. I still have one bottle spare for top up later if required.

Only driven 30km so far. The shift feels smoother.

Yet to see an improvement in sound, but will see. My l4000km fluid was brand new looking. No particles on magnet.

Users Country Flag
    You will have to give the oil at least 200 - 300 ks to coat all the nescessarys mate
    cheers
    Jmac
    Alba European

I'm looking to change my gearbox oil. Redline seems like the way to go.

I don't have any crunching, but am looking to add a little smoothness to the changes.

Seems the MT90 or MTL are options, given my mods and possible trackwork (minimal) is there a reason to go one way or another? I think there was another Spec choice:

I've read people using 1.8 or 2.1 bottles, should I get 3 to be on the safe side?

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    I'm looking to change my gearbox oil. Redline seems like the way to go.

I don't have any crunching, but am looking to add a little smoothness to the changes.

Seems the MT90 or MTL are options, given my mods and possible trackwork (minimal) is there a reason to go one way or another? I think there was another Spec choice:

I've read people using 1.8 or 2.1 bottles, should I get 3 to be on the safe side?
    Use MTL. MT90 is slightly heavier and is good for older gearboxes with more wear/kms than yours probably has (ie mk 4 Golfs etc). The bottles hold one US quart (.945 litres) and Polo boxes vary a bit in capacity, but you'll need at least 2 litres. So get 3 bottles.

Also, slightly overfill the gearbox. The volatile components in Redline tend to evaporate over time, and this makes sure the level stays high. Do this by raising the front pasenger side of the car, which raises the gearbox filler hole on that side above dead level. A brick between the front tyre and the garage floor is about the right amount of lift. If you're doing it yourself it also gives a bit more room to get under the car.

The best price I've found for Redline stuff in OZ is www.performancelub.com/. This also has a link to the manufacturer's site with lots of tech info/specs etc.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Use MTL. MT90 is slightly heavier and is good for older gearboxes with more wear/kms than yours probably has (ie mk 4 Golfs etc). The bottles hold one US quart (.945 litres) and Polo boxes vary a bit in capacity, but you'll need at least 2 litres. So get 3 bottles.

Also, slightly overfill the gearbox. The volatile components in Redline tend to evaporate over time, and this makes sure the level stays high. Do this by raising the front pasenger side of the car, which raises the gearbox filler hole on that side above dead level. A brick between the front tyre and the garage floor is about the right amount of lift. If you're doing it yourself it also gives a bit more room to get under the car.

The best price I've found for Redline stuff in OZ is www.performancelub.com/. This also has a link to the manufacturer's site with lots of tech info/specs etc.
    Agreed, MTL is the go for the 02R. Mt90 for the 02M. For smoothness Noone cant go wrong, 200- 300 ks to let the stuff wick in but im sure on the 1st drive you will notice the difference, i say this with confidence.
    Jmac
    Alba European

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Agreed, MTL is the go for the 02R. Mt90 for the 02M. For smoothness Noone cant go wrong, 200- 300 ks to let the stuff wick in but im sure on the 1st drive you will notice the difference, i say this with confidence.
    Jmac
    Cheers, will order.

Can anyone assist me in where the drain plug and filling point are? Can this be a funnel and hose job?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast