Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacing gearbox oil

Hi guys.

Ive got a definate crunch between 1st-2nd if i shift quickly or in high rpm. Ive had good results from redline products before just seeking advice on which product to use here. My polo gti has 105000 kays should I use the MTL or MT-90 Redline product?

Ill order the stuff in and get my mechanic to change the gearbox oil along with the 105 service.

You help is appreciated
    06 > 9N Polo GTi

Users Country Flag
    MTL is what you use for the Polo GTi.

Have it in mine, but I never really had the crunching problem. Bit smoother though.
    MY2008 VW Polo GTi / GIAC Tune / Forge FMIC / Forge 007 DV / N75 Race / BMC OTA / KW V1 Coilovers / Whiteline Front&Rear Swaybars + Toe-In Shim / Weichers Front&Rear Strut Braces / Full Non-Res Milltek Exhaust / 17" Bora Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Hilal View Post
    Got my mechanic to change the oil for me, and to my surprise, the gearbox only took 1.5 litres, car was on the hoist, I don't see where the other 0.5 litres is hiding. I know for a fact that its meant to take ~2.1L, not sure whats going on there, but I have half a bottle left.
    I changed my gearbox oil today referring to the post here for guidance. I bought three quarts of MTL redline and I was surprised that it only took a little over 1.5 quarts as well! I even used a little to flush the remaining oil through.

Now I'll need to make a few excuses to go for really long drives to work the gearbox oil in.

Users Country Flag
    Am going to top up the MTL gearbox oil that was put in 6 months ago. It only took 2 bottles at the time and I've read that it should take more if the car is canted slightly to get the gearbox in the right orientation. One post mentioned jacking the front passenger tyre and another said to jack the rear.. Which way is the correct way?

Brick under passenger side front wheel. See my post at #8.

Users Country Flag
    righto. thanks

Users Country Flag
    I just finished changing the gearbox oil in the polo, last time I had it done by Volkwerke around 5 years ago and had noticed ever since then it wasn't quite right, on the odd occasion it felt a little dry going from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes there would be a bit of hesitancy getting into gear.

Picked up some Redline MTL and a tom thumb pump bottle (Thanks for the tip Jmac)

Picked up a 17mm Hex key off ebay for around $17, was going to use a 17mm bolt and nut trick but don't think it would have worked as the gearbox filler plugs were in there damn tight and the nut would have broke free, had to use wd40 and a mallet to loosen it.

The gearbox smells like crap when you open it up and it took around 40 mins to completely drain, interestingly I only managed to get 1L of oil out, either i didn't get it all out or they didn't fill it up entirely when last serviced.

When refilling, it reached the brim at 1L when the car was flat, after propping up the passenger side I managed to get 1.8L in.. tried a variety of measures to get more but she wasn't taking it (not sure how you get over 2L in..)

Took it for a drive and wow she feels so much better, straight off the bat i noticed it when reversing off the ramps.. Cant wait to see how it goes after a few hundred more k's
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag
    I generally drive the passenger side (aus) wheels up on a brick height somethingorother. You need those wheels up a bit to get the gearbox level and then you can get the 2L in.

Users Country Flag

I had the passenger side of the car up on a plank of 4x2 and jacked the car up a little further, didn't have much luck unfortunately getting any extra in... It's possible I had to jack the passenger side of the car up whilst emptying the gearbox as there may be some little nooks in there it puddles in...

When emptying I Jacked up the drivers side rear of the car and it got a little extra out, if anyone's doing it try jacking the passenger side whilst emptying and see if any more comes out : )
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123