Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing gearbox oil

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    Cheers, will order.

Can anyone assist me in where the drain plug and filling point are? Can this be a funnel and hose job?

The fill and drain will be 14 or 17mm hex or a M14 spline. The drain will face straight down and the fill faces forward IIRC. Funnel and pipe is the sensible way to do it.

Undo the fill plug first, You don't want the fluid out of it and then find you can't put any back in!!

Gavin

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    Your level plug is at the front of the trans, 17mm internal hex. The drain is the same plug but underneath. Buy yourself a 17 hex socket. Buy yourself a Tom Thumb pump bottle which hold a litre of fluid, great little filler and no mess whatsoever. You can buy them in any good auto store and last resort you can get it at Autobarn. And make sure the gearbox is level, not the car that some may suggest, when the car is level the box is still a bit canted. The back of the car will be jacked a bit higher to achieve this. Really thats it, good idea is to go for a run and get the oil warm , itll drain quicker that way. Plugs get torqued up to 25NM.
    If you are still a bit unsure give me your email address
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Buy yourself a Tom Thumb pump bottle
    I aways use one of these - about 20 bucks from Autobarn and a total no mess solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Your level plug is at the front of the trans, 17mm internal hex. The drain is the same plug but underneath. Buy yourself a 17 hex socket.
    Checked in bunnings, they have a kit of them, but seems like overkill for just 1 x 17mm. Would anyone carry these individually (i.e., just sell the 17mm?)

Just a reminder - the gearbox plugs are female, so you need a 17mm male hex key, not a regular 17mm socket. Dought if Bunnings have these, even in sets. Try Repco.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Just a reminder - the gearbox plugs are female, so you need a 17mm male hex key, not a regular 17mm socket. Dought if Bunnings have these, even in sets. Try Repco.
    Yeah, I got that, otherwise I'd just use the socket set.

Redline MTL went in about 100kms ago.
    Not too difficult to change after borrowing 17mm hex spanner and Tom Thumb bottle from mechanic.

Took a little over 2 bottles.

Gearbox feels better. It was not poor, but for <$100, its a little smother and quicker 1>2, 2>3, 3>2, 2>1. Think my gearchanges have become a little faster and I don't seem to be as aware of being cautious with the changes.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    Redline MTL went in about 100kms ago.
    Not too difficult to change after borrowing 17mm hex spanner and Tom Thumb bottle from mechanic.

Took a little over 2 bottles.

Gearbox feels better. It was not poor, but for <$100, its a little smother and quicker 1>2, 2>3, 3>2, 2>1. Think my gearchanges have become a little faster and I don't seem to be as aware of being cautious with the changes.
    It will get better still mate, give it around 300ks for the benefit, let the oil wick in to the bearings and syncros
    Cheers
    Jmac
    Alba European

I was experiencing the 1st to 2nd gear crunch if you tried changing gears into 2nd without waiting, also happens even if dropping a gear down to 2nd.

Got my mechanic to change the oil for me, and to my surprise, the gearbox only took 1.5 litres, car was on the hoist, I don't see where the other 0.5 litres is hiding. I know for a fact that its meant to take ~2.1L, not sure whats going on there, but I have half a bottle left.

After I took the car out of there, I went into a few back streets, left the car in 2nd and drove slow, kept it in the gear for about 2 minutes, and ever since then, it shifts perfectly. No more crunching. I've already noticed its getting smoother when changing gears. The oil that came out of the gearbox was like water, probably the original oil that was first put into the car from new. The new oil that went in was a tad little thicker but maybe that's because it wasn't warm, anyways.. No more crunching, I'm happy about that, I can actually use 2nd gear now

I also used Redline MTL, $40 a bottle from Bursons.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hilal View Post
    I was experiencing the 1st to 2nd gear crunch if you tried changing gears into 2nd without waiting, also happens even if dropping a gear down to 2nd.

Got my mechanic to change the oil for me, and to my surprise, the gearbox only took 1.5 litres, car was on the hoist, I don't see where the other 0.5 litres is hiding. I know for a fact that its meant to take ~2.1L, not sure whats going on there, but I have half a bottle left.

After I took the car out of there, I went into a few back streets, left the car in 2nd and drove slow, kept it in the gear for about 2 minutes, and ever since then, it shifts perfectly. No more crunching. I've already noticed its getting smoother when changing gears. The oil that came out of the gearbox was like water, probably the original oil that was first put into the car from new. The new oil that went in was a tad little thicker but maybe that's because it wasn't warm, anyways.. No more crunching, I'm happy about that, I can actually use 2nd gear now

I also used Redline MTL, $40 a bottle from Bursons.
    Good result mate
    Alba European

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast