Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement gearbox required for GTi

Not often you hear of an input shaft bearing only making noise in one gear. I'd be trying a fluid change and see how it goes.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GRP View Post
    Currently APR tune and front mount intercooler waiting for install.

Couple of votes for oil change. Certainly nothiong to lose and a flush and refill with synthetic is cost effective. Any recommendations on synthetic fill for the gearbox?
    I'd certainly be doing an oil change before anything else. I had a bad 1st to 2nd crunch, put in Nulon 75-85W Smooth shift oil, had a slight improvement. Then replaced that with Redline Lightweight shockproof oil, and haven't had a crunch since (been in for close to 10,000kms now). Its also both GL4 and GL5 approved so very universal for many cars. Some use MT90 or a 50/50 mix of MT90/Shockproof. Its not cheap stuff but can guarantee it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper then a new gearbox.

Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear OIL 1 Gallon 3 785 Liter | eBay

That will be enough to do a full swap and some for next time. A lot of people are surprised at what an oil change alone can do (myself included).
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    Gavin, no spruiking required. The APR tune (bought on special) was a practical thing as I shared the Polo with my son for 12 months whilst looking for a new ride (now in C63 with a tune ). APR offered easy switching between full tune for me and stock for the P plater. You were the first thought for post front mount and down pipe tune. Blatant plug - need cheap down pipe.
    I could have set you up with a way of switching but not quite as simple as APRs.

It's a shame but there's no really cheap way of getting a downpipe. Off the shelf I think only Milltek do one. So I'd probably advise looking around for a place to make you a custom one. Coated mild steel is more than adequate and saves a pile of money.

Users Country Flag
    Thought i was in the same situation about 8mths ago - My 2007 Polo gti was crunching 2nd.... After heaps of research I filled with some G 070 726 A2 (bought from VW dealership)..... Honestly has not crunched once since that day! Very happy. Good luck...

Changed gearbox oil.

Redline MTL. Emptied - it was clean looking oil. Fill with Redline - warm up and flush. Fill again with Redline. Not surprisingly, light metal flecks in oil but far less than what I suspected there would be.

Noise is still there but quieter and gearbox is smoother.

No way the GTi gearbox will take 2 litres of oil. About 1.7 max with car on a good angle. STM Tom Thumb pump made the fill easy.

Tried making a 17mm hex out of a wheel stud. Needed weldiing to hold and I could not be bothered. Bought a Total Tools own brand 17mm inhex spocket for $9.95. The inhex socket is a much nicer fit than the wheel stud.

With the quoted cost of gearbox rebuild/replacement the GTi will remain as is with no punishment given to first gear.

Users Country Flag
    I have always managed to get 2 litres in at least. Penrite started selling 2.5 litre bottles which was a bonus for my last change, not having 3/4 litre left over.

Flushing with redline is a pretty expensive way of doing things.

You'll always get a hint of metal work in the oil. I fitted a magnetic plug in mine at the last change, hoping to keep that crap from circulating all the time.

You have to give the new fluid a good chance to circulate, sometimes several 100 km before it works it's magic. Mine certainly took a while to fix the 4th to 3rd down change crunch.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Flushing with redline is a pretty expensive way of doing things.
    Gavin
    I considered going with a cheaper oil for the flush but I had a full 3.9 litre Redline bottle - to play with. First Redline fill only took 1.5 litres with car level. Took it for a drive and then drained it out. I figured a Redline flush gave everything the best possible chance of improvement.

Irrespective of how much it took for the fill I could not physically get anymore into the gearbox unless I wanted to tip the polo up on an acute angle.

Had a good look at the exhaust plumbing whilst under there.

Users Country Flag
    I considered going with a cheaper oil for the flush but I had a full 3.9 litre Redline bottle - to play with. First Redline fill only took 1.5 litres with car level. Took it for a drive and then drained it out. I figured a Redline flush gave everything the best possible chance of improvement.

Irrespective of how much it took for the fill I could not physically get anymore into the gearbox unless I wanted to tip the polo up on an acute angle.

Had a good look at the exhaust plumbing whilst under there.
    I wouldn't worry about tipping it back a little to get a bit more in. I'd certainly go for that over having too little. From you writings, it could be 500ml down in my experience. Which is a fair bit.

Did you leave it to drain a long while?

I jack the front up for access, remove the drain. Drop the car back to level and leave it a while, while doing the plugs or something. Then jack up again and fill. Usually so the wheels are just about to leave the ground, so not that far from level.

Gavin

Final fill with right front corner of car as the highest point was 1.7 to 1.8 litres. I will check it again in a week or so (car will not travel far in that time). I let it drain until it had slowed to a minor weep. I figured that with 2 fills of Redline there would be little of the original oil left even if I failed to fully drain.

Appreciate your input Gavin.

Grant

Users Country Flag

Replacement gearbox required for GTi

Sorry for the mild thread necro

Does anyone know the dimensions of the gearbox sump plug? And the dimensions of the washer? I'm just ordering some parts to be ready for my gearbox oil change. Will put in a magnetic plug as they seem like a good idea.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by hardy_bm; 01-11-2015 at 06:44 PM.
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast