Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Red Devil mkII - The Journey Continues

Users Country Flag

Hey Sam, glad I could help 👍
    Plenty more vids on my channel, including solo on Brabham circuit and coaching on GP!

This is the kind of bad influence I've been looking for 😂

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    Thanks Gary - yup your spot on. The bar is maxed and I don't have damping adjustment. So yes, rear springs are the way to go and also on the to do list. I run H&R coilovers which H&R don't offer a stiffer spring. Need to get it custom made which is no drama, other than not having a car to get to work... King Spring are local and can do the job.
    I'll have to check the toe settings. It has whiteline shims in, but that's about all I know of the rear set-up.
    The kit H&R rear springs are about half the rate required for track work, there's a few posts in Sam's thread with that and other alignment suggestion.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    non adjustable coilovers comparisons

your rear spring rate from what H&R told me is 230lb/in which is about 4kg/mm. That's equivalent to about 147lb at the wheel. With the same fronts as you have (roughly 7kg) I tried 6kg/mm and 8kg/mm rears. The 8kg were far and away the best on the track without a doubt. I'd kept the 6kg er's to use when on the street as the 8kg/mm are understandably rough riding but somehow they ended up in the back of Pete's Clio. He had the Bilstein b14 kit and his rates mirrored yours. We did the rear upgrade to his and he's been smashing it ever since. If you didn't want to have to swap rears in and out to take care of the street comfort side of things, you could maybe split the difference and go 7kg/mm, same as your fronts and then drop the bar for the street? It will pay off in handling and tyre wear. I couldn't believe how suddenly my rears were actually getting temperature into them because they were actually contributing to the cars grip, and how the front sidewalls are fine. I have never been able to get the distance that I have out of street tyres (and they are only 200 treadwear) as when the rear was made stiffer than the front.
    Last edited by sambb; 05-06-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Funny ive always thought it was stiffer springs in the front and a fat RSB.
    Good to see your changes working!

I've been quiet on the forum for a long time now, but still getting the occasional track day in. Been doing mostly short course events the last year or two and having a blast at the different driving style required, gotta be so much more precise to find 10th's and also allow the car the rotate more.

My set-up remains unchanged as it has done so for years now. Running Hankook RS4 tyres and happy with them.

Ran 'King of QR' event last weekend, which is ran across 4 different track layouts of Queensland Raceway. I think I ran the Federal RSS 2yrs ago in this event, which would have made them quite new on the car at the time, so corresponds quite well to the new-sh RS4's. I did 110km around QR for this event and ended up with PB's on each layout. Albeit, the PB's are between 2-4 tenths of a second, I'd have argued the RSRR was the more track oriented tyre over the RS4. Either way, I had a very enjoyable day peddling it hard AF and leaving nothing on the table, and the car ran flawlessly.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    hey Sean. Its good to see you pop your head up. You've been quiet on here, no doubt chasing kids and mortgages around so its good to see you're getting out and tearing it up on the track. Sorry about your old car mate. Just quietly I think more than a few parts of it are going to live on in another Polo. So its not fully dead, it'll be reincarnated, like robocop! I'm picking up the new one just south of the border in a few days. Ordinarily I'd see if a beer was possible but borders and bubbles. Hope you're getting on well and hope to see some future tracking vids in the future.

****Car is SOLD*****

Available Parts:
    17" Audi wheels
    Oil cooler (with thermostat and lines)
    42DD Oil Catch can
    Stock exhaust manifold

Hi All,

This car is for sale, 142,000km. Seeking $12k. Mods are per listed on front page. I'm in no great rush, but seeking to consolidate the garage.

Full interior
    new roof lining
    timing belt, waterpump, tensioner done ~2,000km ago
    Tyres barely 2,000km
    Not seeking to part out
    Car is registered

I have a set of 17" audi wheels without tyres I'm also seeking to sell.

Please text message me for any enquiries - 0437 440 235

Sean
    Last edited by seangti; 04-01-2022 at 01:42 PM.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738