Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rbalc1's 06 Polo GTI

rbalc1's 06 Polo GTI

Hi all,
    In December 2014 I bought my 2006 Polo GTI.

At the moment the plan is to keep it stock and slowly upgrade what needs replacing.

So far I have:
    • changed out the thermostat (engine temp would drop off if driving at 90kmh for a short period)
    • coolant flush and replaced (as had been previously filled with water)
    • new coolant expansion tank
    • fixed sunroof leak (adjusted seals/ replaced front drains/ cut end off nipple to allow better flow)
    • replaced fuse on top of battery which resolved flashing ABS and traction control lights on dash (fault codes - have them somewhere)
    • replaced antenna with shorter whip
    • ebay VW center caps (p/n 1J0 601 171 ) - stock wheels require caps with curved clips
    • Replaced gear stick centering spring- was snapped
    • Redline MTL gearbox oil - Resolved gearbox crunching issues

Modifications

• Custom Code Phase 2 tune with SAI delete
    • 3 inch downpipe and 200 cell cat
    • Darkside (Seat style) front mount Intercooler
    • 42DD Shift bushes and bracket bushes
    • Custom suede gear shift boot

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rbalc1's 06 Polo GTI-1403907709658997826-jpg   rbalc1's 06 Polo GTI-1403907710774185282-jpg  

Last edited by rbalc1; 03-10-2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Updated

Also, i spotted this GTI in Redfern, is anyone familiar with what wheels are on it?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rbalc1's 06 Polo GTI-20150820_150020-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    The rear bushes for the Lower control arms are a likely source for your noises. You should add a downpipe and tune to your list of things to do. If the SAI pump is bad, spend the money on a tune so you can delete the pump and not get any codes.

Gavin

Thanks Gavin,
    Ill take a closer look at the bushes tomorrow.

A few questions considering my options
    Roughly how much would a tune/SAI pump delete+downpipe set me back? and would you still recommend this on a 170,000km+ engine
    How would that compare $$ wise replacing with OEM parts (combi+SAI)
    or is it possible to recondition the old SAI pump/combi valve?

also are there any places would you recommend buying parts online

Cheers for the advice
    rbalc1

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rbalc1 View Post
    Thanks Gavin,
    Ill take a closer look at the bushes tomorrow.

A few questions considering my options
    Roughly how much would a tune/SAI pump delete+downpipe set me back? and would you still recommend this on a 170,000km+ engine
    How would that compare $$ wise replacing with OEM parts (combi+SAI)
    or is it possible to recondition the old SAI pump/combi valve?

also are there any places would you recommend buying parts online

Cheers for the advice
    rbalc1
    You'll have to get your own downpipe, I don't sell hardware. Milltek is about the only off the shelf option. So that'll be an import job. Custom made at an exhaust shop would be just as cheap, no need to have stainless in my opinion. 200cell cat to stay legal. Run it through the VW exhaust.

$899 for the tune.I'll chuck a blank for the combi valve in for you.

You might be able to do something with the pump bu if that's gone, most likely the combi valve caused it. They don't come apart. Just so much easier to delete them.

The mileage doesn't worry me as long as the car has been serviced regularly, there's no reason it shouldn't handle the upgrades.

Mine is nearly up to 200000 although it's no got rods and new rings in it. I have done lots of tunes on 100k plus cars. They all survived so far.

Gavin

Users Country Flag

Wink

Welcome to the Polo group

Do yourself a favour and get a downpipe made and then tuned by Gav. It's great bang for buck both with performance and fuel consumption saving (Depending on how enthusiastic you drive of course). I vote going a custom fabricated downpipe, 2.5" if you don't plan on serious future mods or 3" if you want to go down the power road. Go coated mild steel, as Gav said I don't see the value in stainless, put the extra money towards the tune. Gavs CC tune will allow you to remove the noisy SAI as well without any fault light arising.

As mentioned above don't fear the kms on the car, permitting it's been serviced correctly that won't be an issue. I got my car flashed with Gavs phase 2 tune when I had 145k kms on the clock and now at 150k I'm running a phase 3 tune with stock internals and clutch if that puts your mind at ease.
    Last edited by louis19; 28-08-2015 at 09:36 AM.
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    Those looks awesome! I need those wheels... Are they the oem jetta ones?

Thanks Gavin and Louis
    I still havent done anything about the SAI pump as the outside temps are warmer now , but im still considering the tune.

I had a good look at the lower control arm bushes and they seem fine, no obvious tears.
    i also had a feel of the drop links and there doesnt seem to be any play either.
    It sounds like the lower plastic engine bay cover is banging around over bumps.. but it isnt because i took that off.
    still trying to track down that noise!
    2006 Polo GTI

Re the noise over bumps, also try give the sway bar bushes/mounts a squirt of wd-40. Mine had an occasional noise at low speed, it sounded like metal to metal contact, I changed the strut top bearings to no avail... sprayed sway bar bushes with WD-40 and it's been gone for over 12months, FML. The sway bar links can also creak in the ball joints, could pull em off, give them a light grease if they are the open ball joint type (can't recall if the factory ones are or not) and wiggle them around and reinstall.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Insides of a coolant expansion tank. I replaced mine as the previous owner ran water instead of coolant which caused a rusty scale to build up and made it hard to read the coolant level.
    New non-genuine part was about $30.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rbalc1's 06 Polo GTI-14522558_1269577023087716_233684695_o-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast