Support VWWC

Thread: Power steering Power consumption

Users Country Flag

Power steering Power consumption

Hi Bought the Polo 9n 1.6 petrol about two weeks ago (private). So I did not pick up on the small things like this until later. I thing I have read all the threads on Polo Power steering and Lights dimming, Have redone the earths and found a few problems(Like kink in the earth to the power steering replaced the lugs on all of them and have the power draw down to 12milliamps. Tested the alternator and charging 14.33v and battery is is sitting at 12.65v Diodes is fine with a diode test sitting at .533 AC current bleed is 38mv from the alternator when steering is not turned With turning steering get 400mv.With alternator disconnected have 0 ac volt and when turning the wheel 80 to 100 mv and no dimming lights. Got no warning lights. Power steering when in a long turn feels like it pushes to hard when doing small corrections. any ideas or input would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by ITG; 03-06-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Have removed the altenator but the pully on there do not look like n over run pully it looks solid. Is this correcrt ? Thought all later models have over running pullys.
    The other thing is what should the voltages be on the two thin wires that plug in to the altenator. Polo 2007 77kw 1.6 5door petrol 16v

Users Country Flag
    can't help you with current draw or voltages, but PM me an email address and I can send you the wiring diagrams

Thanks Simon, So we replaced the alternator and over run pully on it. All the power cables from the alternator and redone all battery connections. power steering still has a big current draw that make the lights dim. So it seem like it must be some thing with the power steering. redone the power steering earth and power from battery. When driving the car it seems like it could also be the steering sensor because in a long turn with small corrections it does harsh corrections, Will also see if there is a way that the power steering can have some sort of short but then it should blow a fuse.

Users Country Flag
    The steering angle sensor should be on the underside of the steering column under the dash. I unplugged mine once to see what would happen because I'm special and it played havoc with the steering weighting. It would be light and then weight up or light and then virtually lock up. I know it may not explain all your symptoms but if the steer motor has strange inputs it stands to reason that there might be oscillations and current spikes as a result? Maybe just check to see that the thing is seated correctly??

Got the following codes errors from Bosh scaner. 051D Component blocked/deenergized.control unit for power steering, 038A normal /two tone horn short to B+ and 063E voltage battery ,signal improbable. These could be old codes caused by me taking every thing appart so i am waiting for a scanner clear every thing en then see what comes upPower steering Power consumption-img20190629164908-jpg

Fixed,Replaced the power steering pump, lights do not dim anymore.