Support VWWC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: polo wastegate rattle noise

Users Country Flag

There are a couple of fine ones down the inlet throat too

Users Country Flag
    this is a new replacement housing, the seller says it's the right one... K03S Turbo Turbocharger Turbine CHRA Wastegate Exhaust Housing 1.8 20V 180BHP | eBay

Users Country Flag
    I only just got rid of my good exhaust housing. Bugger. The sealing surface is on the flat part there so if the crack hasnt or wont run up onto the flat it'll be ok. But having said that, yeah I probably wouldnt throw it in given how involved a turbo swap is on this car. I've now had 4 x K03s's apart and they have all had cracks in the hot side - mostly in the lip below where the crack is in the pick, but also up on there too. Two of those ran without any dramas, so my guess is it be ok.
    The other thing you could do is undo the 3 turbo to exhaust mani bolts and the bottom bracket for the turbo. That'll let it drop down away from the exhasut mani and then you can get access to all the exhaust mani nuts to check that they are all tight. Then its just a turbo to exhaust mani gasket and retighten the turbo bolts - still a poo fight but no biggy to ensure that its not the exhaust manifold to head connection thats leaking.

Users Country Flag
    That's what I did on the weekend, I didn't go as far as dropping the turbo down but there isn't any evidence of leaking from the manifold face... I doubt that the manifold is leaking due to the way the noise only comes on between about 2500 and 4000rpm. if it was the manifold it be constant, though that doesn't explain why a crack in the housing isn't constant too.

I'll take the turbo I got from you to see my guru today. I think the best course of action will be to rebuild that core and buy a new housing for it, then I can swap turbos in a weekend.

Would it be smart to have the new housing ceramic coated? Does that help prevent cracking?

Users Country Flag
    sorry just noticed your other pic of the exhaust housing entry. Those cracks are nothing compared to most I've seen and its thick casting behind there so I doubt you'd have any chance of a leak there. The option is you can get that engineers dye that bleeds down into cracks and can give you an idea of how far they really go or if they are going through to the outside. Yeah I think getting it internally ceramic coated would help but I've seen so many ceramic coatings degrade and 'peel' that I'd be worried what flecks of it might do going through the turbine. You said your wastegate port was crack free yeah? If the flapper cant seal you'd definitely see your issues. Also the flappers pivot/hole. Thats not eaten out so badly that you'd get a leak through the bush is it?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    You said your wastegate port was crack free yeah? If the flapper cant seal you'd definitely see your issues. Also the flappers pivot/hole. Thats not eaten out so badly that you'd get a leak through the bush is it?
    Dunno about cracks but when I reset the flapper preload a little while ago I gave it a good wiggle and there didn't seem to be any wear going in the wrong direction, and there isn't any soot or marks from exhaust leaking around it, so I think it's fine but no way of knowing without taking it off.... which takes me back to saying I'd prefer to have a known good turbo ready to go and swap it out rather than just remove it to inspect and cross my fingers that it doesn't fall to bits

Users Country Flag
    Audi Turbos, XS Power Inc. these guys turbos have been in plenty of VW's here. Of the forum members I'm aware of who have fitted them I havent heard any horror stories. you have to look around in the VW and audi pages on their site but they do reproduction K03s-058?, K04-001 , and K04-001 with hotupness which is the XL I think but you'd need injectors/maf/retune for that one.

Users Country Flag

It was just the manifold gasket.... shrugs...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123