Support VWWC

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo Problems & Fix Register

MAKE - POLO GTI
    KMS - 6500
    CAR USAGE - DAILY[/B]

PROBLEM - Key not turning in ignition.
    DESCRIPTION - Went to start the car and the key wouldn't turn at all.
    FIX - Temporary fix to make the steering wheel lock, then the key turns. Off to dealer soon but it has only happened once.

PROBLEM - Rattles in dash and doors.
    DESCRIPTION - Some minor rattles inside dashboard somewhere and inside door panels when stereo is turned up a bit.
    FIX - Dealer soon.

PROBLEM - Ear piercing beep x 2 when unlocking doors.
    DESCRIPTION - The 2 beeps are really annoying to me.
    FIX - Dealer soon. Hopefully re-program.

PROBLEM - Sometimes passenger door doesn't unlock when button pressed twice.
    DESCRIPTION - Sometimes I have to keep pressing the unlock button to get the passenger door to unlock, which is annoying since it keeps making the beeps!!
    FIX - Dealer soon.

PROBLEM - Boot doesn't unlock when car unlocks.
    DESCRIPTION - I would like the boot to unlock when I unlock the car. I don't want to have to hold down the boot button to unlock it and then get the high pitched beeps again. I just want the thing to unlock when car is unlocked. If they get rid of the beeps I will be happy enough.
    FIX - Dealer soon. Hopefully they can re-program these things.

PROBLEM - Knocking noise going over driveway gutter.
    DESCRIPTION - Heard it twice (separate occasions) going over small gutters into driveways. Comes from right front suspension area I think.
    FIX - Off to dealer soon.

That's it at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_gti View Post
    Jeez i didnt realise these cars had these sorts of problems.

My car has 4,700 kms on it now.. (took deliver in late 06)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the car, total delight to own.

Creaking doors is normal, just lubricate the seals a bit.
    Ive also got a tiny occasional creak in the dash but thats it.
    I'm the same as you, Mitch - without the extra creaks. Mine's still perfectly tight - not a creak. I did think I heard a "clunk" from the suspension once going over a speed hump - but it's never recurred, so I'm guessing the sound may have come from something outside, and not from the car itself.

This thread really does scare the hell out of you, though

Make: Polo GTI
    Kms: ~22k
    Usage: daily driver

Problem: Un-cooperative gearbox
    Description Car was throwing itself out of gear, grinding trying to get into gear, point blank refusing to go into 3rd gear.
    Fix: Trip to dealer on a tow truck when gearbox finally shat itself, where they replaced the bushes in the selector mechanism.

The dealer had point blank refused to believe there was anything wrong with the car and refused to do anything about it when I reported it to them. Then one day coming off the freeway, changed down to fourth, then third.... well didn't make it to third. Put it in neutral, gave it a few revs and tried third again at which point it went into third.

Then at the lights I couldn't get it out of third, so it was limped home stuck in third gear. I got it out of gear in the driveway to find all the gears had run away and left me, so the car went for a ride on the tow truck.

The guy at the dealer when I picked it up even had the balls to quip "Ah so there really was a problem hey?" Thank god there would've been witnesses.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-GTI View Post
    PROBLEM - RADIO
    DESCRIPTION - AUDIO JUST SEEM TO STOP EVERY NOW AN THEN FOR A FEW SECONDS FOR NO APPARENT REASON,DOES THIS ON ALL STATIONS, BUT NOT WHEN PLAYING CD'S
    FIX - NOT FIXED, ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS BEFORE I TELL THE DEALER?
    Haven't read the whole thread but the fix for this is to disable RDS. its due to the unit trying to find a stronger signal for the same station and getting confused because we don't use RDS in Australia.

Jeez guys, just signed a contract for Polo GTI, please tell me its not a lemon, how about the good things? Also, ru guys thrashing the crap out of em to cause a lot of these problems

It's a little ripper -- don't get concerned. Some of the above problems are just programming of locks etc that the dealer can easily set. Given only 14 reports vs 44 identified owners and who knows how many lurkers, I would suggest the Pog is no better or worse than most other cars.

It's just much more fun to drive

Thank Christ you dont own Renault sport Clio 182 cups.
    Even though they are said to be fun, personally when i drove it nothing really stood out that much to me. Bit bland, bit boring, handled well and had reasonable top end power but NO torque and NO mid range. But overall very light and tinny.

One of my friends has one, rear bumper fell off, exhaust fell off, cat converter destroyed itself. Car refuses to start on cold mornings, computer died (had to get new one from france, took WEEKS) Interior bits and pieces falling apart and having to be reglued. Dealer didnt put enough pressure in rear tyres at service and tyres chewed themselves out on a cruise the next day (expensive excercise when they have michelin pilot exalto's)

Seems to have had everything happen to the car. But now with about 50 thousand kms he said its smooth sailing

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVr6ix View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread but the fix for this is to disable RDS. its due to the unit trying to find a stronger signal for the same station and getting confused because we don't use RDS in Australia.
    Mines doing this, and I was looking through the manual for RDS and can't find anything bout it. Does this need to be disabled through VAG-COM?

aus liebe zum automobil

From memory Floody, they don't call it RDS in the manual. It is one of the buttons on the stereo unit though. Have another read of the stereo section in the manual and look at what all the buttons are, one is a traffic report/information/warning button or something, just switch it off. Sorry about being vague, the manual isn't in front of me.

They must have got a bum batch ...

Quote Originally Posted by VEEDUB69 View Post
    Jeez guys, just signed a contract for Polo GTI, please tell me its not a lemon, how about the good things? Also, ru guys thrashing the crap out of em to cause a lot of these problems
    ... of Friday-afternoon cars ... mines great - no rattles, squeeks, screaches on locking or unlocking.

Think of it this way ... if you'd bought a Ford, Holden or Toyota ... such minor problems would be considered inconsequential.

Cheers,
    Dave

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast