Thread: Polo GTI Gearbox oil change Level

Users Country Flag

Polo GTI Gearbox oil change Level

Hello,

Recently changed the gearbox oil in my polo to some Redline MTL to get rid of some dreaded 1st - 2nd gear high rpm crunch.

Car was raised on a leveled area and the fluid was drained completely. However when filling with the redline i could only fill about 1.3L back into the gearbox before the fluid would start dripping out the fill hole. Started car and went through the gears and tried to fill more to no success.

Decided to take the car to a mechanic who also checked the level and ran through the gears, Told me it was all fine.

Car has been driven for about 3 weeks now, shifts smooth and fine, no more crunching So wondering why less than 2L was able to fill the box.

Any input would be appreciated, cheers.

Users Country Flag
    If I remember correctly you need to have the passenger side rear tyre elevated to get the gearbox level. I parked mine on a piece of wood a couple of inches high. That gets the box on a level and it will then accept 1.8L or so. From memory its a stretch to get 1.9L in there and 2L is a long shot.

I done mine last week on ramps but i didn't go all the way on the top of the ramps just enough to undo both bolts. Mine took 1.8L. I was told gearbox fluid just splashes around. But 1.3L is better than none lol