Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI 9n3 $8k goodies

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Sorry Sam posted while you did and I can't edit the last one. Ok so I could be up for a new fuel rail too.. yeah ill pm them and maybe meet up and see what they think... I couldn't find the vids of lakeside but I'm useless at searching the forum... I have tried and tires through! I used to hate those trolls of the JDM forums that wouldn't use the search button and now I'm looking like one! Sorry!!

Would this bush kit fit? Seems like the go for the price?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suits-Volkswagen-Polo-9N-SUPER-PRO-Front-Suspension-Bush-Kit-/333094417181?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46 890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

Or better of with:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Polo-9N-9N3-02-08-Powerflex-Black-Complete-Bush-Kit-/380871985227?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46 890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

And yeah great idea for the oil cooler mounting!

Something like this would work?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trust-AN10-13-Row-Oil-Cooler-Thermostat-85-Degrees-Sandwich-Plate-Kit-7-Fan-Kit-/265002101553?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46 890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

Also 🤭 how do I pm Louis19 I can't see anywhere on the mobile site layout to do it??
    Last edited by Akuma; 05-08-2021 at 05:55 PM.

Users Country Flag
    No AGU head/inlet mani has same side feed as our small port head. Direct bolt on except VVT will have to be killed off in the tune OR you can transfer the VVT out of your head into the big port direct bolt in. VVT can also be tuned to work dynamically like the Audi's rather than just for emissions cold starts. I have active VVT tuned into mine now. Its used to bring forward the spool in bigger turbo setups - can be done with stock ecu tuning.
    Valve springs is more of an rpm thing. Stainless exhaust valves is more of a temperature resistance thing for when EGT's get right up there on these bigger turbos with big boost. If you're not wanting to rev past 6000 rpm+ (stock head and stock cams) then you probably can rule out the AGU head. Also you might need to weigh that rev ceiling you impose against your turbo choice as you probably dont want to go so big on the turbo side that it comes on at 3600rpm and then you are changing gears 2200 rpm after that as your rev band will be very short.
    For me because I wont be revving above 6500rpm (at least not on upchanges!) and will hopefully be running E20-E85 (cooler combustion), then I'm going to see if I can getaway with an all stock head big port head. Educated risk because I dont have the budget to do anything else on the head. You might be in the same boat there.

Yeah right. I might be more inclined to rev a bit more to keep full boost in the up changes. Wouldn't want to up change and be at 3000... But then again next tax session could have me etching for the head work this engine deserves👌.

Just looking at injectors at the moment and I'm thinking ev14 630cc should be enough they will be maxed out before the gtx3071r is but I'd rather re buy larger injectors than turbo... I'm leaning more towards the 30 for the extra head way if/when I want more later... I mean I wanted more from the RX7 at 450whp.... And the 30 is capable of 450-500whp as far as I know.

I know power delivery and band play a massive part in this but can we get 300-400whp to the road?

Before buying the polo I watched countless civic 1.6l 4-600hp cars and they flew without massive wheelspin, now assuming they were using semi slicks on the street

Will these injectors fit our rail?
    4 Genuine Bosch EV14 60lb 630cc fuel injectors 1.8T Audi A4 TT VW Golf Jetta | eBay

Is it better/more cost effective to get a large port head and do the headwork later? I'm also trying to future proof as best I can. Buy once and buy right... I'd have a sour taste in my mouth if I had to do it twice... With the gt30 egt's are likely to be high enough to expect valves to be done I assume...

Also have you seen these intake manifold spaces designed to reduce the heat at the Mani? Some plastic poly something?
    Last edited by Akuma; 05-08-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Users Country Flag
    for wishbone rear bush:
    SuperPro Control Arm Lower-Inner Rear Anti Lift Bush Kit for VW POLO 2001-2009 - Mk 4 9N

set it to max caster ie the pivot outer most.

for wishbone front bush:
    SuperPro Control Arm Bush Kit for VW POLO 2001-2009 - Mk 4 9N

for the north-south 'gearbox' dogbone:
    SuperPro Engine Steady Mount Bush Kit for VW POLO 2001-2009 - Mk 4 9N

stops the engine thrashing fore and aft. also makes gear changes a lot easier when you are up it.

If you do the above and a pair of bilstein B8's in the front then you'll be good to go. I have a pair of KW V3's that I could sell you to go in the back. They came out of my most recent car and could only have done 60-70,000km? I can find out for you. Also have have some KW rear springs (collar adjsutable too).

I have a vibratechnics drivers side engine mount spare. Just need to pick which one I want to run with. Also a passenger side one but I havent checked it over. It came with the car as a spare.

I also have a pair of subframes (wishbones fit into these) that have been reamed to take eccentric adjsuters. These take out any slop in the bolt holes and give you a bit of camber/caster adjsutment at the bottom. They come fitted with SEAT sport solid rubber rear lower control arm bushes. These were the gun LCA bush until the aftermarket poly ones came out. They are rubber but have no voids, are very stout rubber, centre position for the rear of the wishbone so no extra caster. Doing rear LCA bushes is an absolute assho1e. They need to be carved/cut out and the new ones put in with a press or a VW special tool. You might want to consider these subframes as they come pre done with top notch bushing, won't move around like stock subframes, and will give you some alignment adjustment.

If you havent already gotten an FPR, GFB do an adjustable one. Plug n play into the stock rail and allows gauge fitment for setting the pressure you need. You could probably just run on 3 bar provided your injectors are big enough. 4 bar fpr's will make your big flowing fuel pump work a bit harder in constant duty and maybe noisier becaus eof that.
    Yeah those injectors are along the lines of what you need. If you run small port, there are EV14's that have an angled up spray. The fuel shoots upward at a certain angle to match the different small port shape. I'd have to look back at which ones you need as I cant remember. I also cant remember the o-ring to o-ring height needed for a small port. I assume thats the one though if its quoted for the Audi TT as its 'BAM' engine is definitely small port. You do need those plug converters too for our loom.
    Large port might be a stretch to add into things with your budget. They are old eg mk 4 gti vintage and anything you buy will need a proper going over, valve seats, etc. Small ports are much newer and probably give you a better shot at a better core to begin with.
    If you want one to get built off the car while you are still running around, I have two small port motors. One head has done 90,000 and the other 160k km. If you get stuck and cant find a spare let me know.
    Yeah phenolic spacers are a bit of a thing but a fringe mod. You can always do it later. There's a lot of shonk sellers around too. I bought one and it was no where near my mani or port sizes so go figure.
    If you want (and are on messenger) I can put you in contact with the UK tuner I use. He can advise you on turbos and the right hardware combo and give you an idea of what you'll be able to achieve.

Yeah well I wasn't going to touch the rear end of things due to the budget but if you want to get rid of spares I'd be happy to talk deals. Maybe meet up after the lock down and we can sort through a few things and see what looks good. If I can get a good deal and it helps you too then we're both win win I just can't eat I to my budget much otherwise I'll be stuck with a half finished pos that isn't what I want.

I definately look into the bush kits you've mentioned but would any of your spares negate these front end bush kits?

Users Country Flag
    hey buddy, I found my EV14 specs:

Bosch 550cc EV14 injectors with the adapter plugs for our loom fitted.
    - bosch injector part# BOS0280158117
    - need to order 53mm +/- 1mm (O ring to O ring) version as there are many different lengths of this injector. Then they are a direct fit with no fuel rail spacers needed.
    - proflow injector plug converter part#PFEFI-003

Here's a page from my last thread. Sam's build thread.
    This vid shows the 10 degree angle you need on injectors if you run small port heads. Bosch 550cc 0280158117 Spray-geometry [by Pro-Boost Engineering] - YouTube
    The small port mani has the injectors further away from the head and pointed down more. They need that 10 degree upward shooting angle to get the spray along the runner. The diagram further down that thread page shows the contorted small port runner in the head and why you need that injector angle. The cutaway of the LP head shows that the runner is much straighter. The LP mani has the injectors 'lined up' more with the runner so use straight shooting injectors which line up with the valves better. Not telling you which way to go, just that injector choice re spray angles and O-ring to O-ring lengths goes hand in hand with what head you are using.

here's a bit of chat re large vs small port on my last thread:
    https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f127/sams-build-thread-118105-158.html

19mm vs S3/TT 20mm wrist pin rods

Last edited by sambb; 06-08-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Ah right I see.... Looking at duty cycle of injectors 550's aren't going to cut it for future proofing. 😓 That's why I was looking at 630cc they will produce up to 500bhp at 4bar fpr... The 550's will be maxed around the 400-430. Not that I plan being there anytime soon but it will allow for it when I'm ready.... Again don't want to have to keep rebuying stuff. If you want to part with them and want to do some dealing then I'd again be open to it though 👍

Really contemplating getting this bush kit:

VW Polo 9N/9N3 (02-0 Powerflex Black Complete Bush Kit | eBay

Ah right I see.... Looking at duty cycle of injectors 550's aren't going to cut it for future proofing. 😓 That's why I was looking at 630cc they will produce up to 500bhp at 4bar fpr... The 550's will be maxed around the 400-430. Not that I plan being there anytime soon but it will allow for it when I'm ready.... Again don't want to have to keep rebuying stuff. If you want to part with them and want to do some dealing then I'd again be open to it though 👍

Really contemplating getting this bush kit:

VW Polo 9N/9N3 (02-0 Powerflex Black Complete Bush Kit | eBay

Yeah I see what you mean about the wrist pin sizes.... So I just need to make sure I get the 19mm

Oh and yeah on messenger pm me and I'll add you... I can't figure out how to pm?!?
    Last edited by Akuma; 06-08-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I would buy bigger injectors instead of promoting the output with 4bar. By the time you add boost pressure on top the fuel pump will be working harder.

Users Country Flag

Oh yeah you’ll definitely need to go bigger than 550’s. I was just putting up the part numbers of mine so that you knew the o ring to o ring height and had the correct part number for the transition plugs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast