Thread: Polo 9N3 08' rear wheel well damage??

Polo 9N3 08' rear wheel well damage??

Hi. Im new here so admins send this thread into oblivion if i have done something wrong.

I found something that looks odd in my rear wheel wells. I was inspecting them as i had heard a rear dull rattling noise when going over bumps at slow speeds and the sound is irregular and only sometimes.. There are other threads that seem to investigate this so that's not what this thread is about.

There is plastic sheared off of my plastic rear wheel well plastic trim/lining. On both drivers and passenger rear wheel arches. Here's some photos. I just want to know if anyone has any idea why someone would shear off plastic from the wheel well lining on both sides, and what doing this would gain them access to? looks too symmetrical to be from damage.

Passenger side: Pasteboard - Uploaded Image

Drivers side: Pasteboard - Uploaded Image

Users Country Flag
    Hi and welcome. Looking at those photos, I doubt they would be the cause of your noise. A loose inner guard would be more likely to make noise as speed increases as the wind would make the plastic flap around.

Id say the source of the noise would more likely be a strut top or perhaps one of the rubber bushes in your rear suspension which is probably wearing out due to age.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Hi and welcome. Looking at those photos, I doubt they would be the cause of your noise. A loose inner guard would be more likely to make noise as speed increases as the wind would make the plastic flap around.

Id say the source of the noise would more likely be a strut top or perhaps one of the rubber bushes in your rear suspension which is probably wearing out due to age.

Thanks for the insight Lucas! I wasn't thinking that this would be the cause of the noise and i figure that it probably is something like what you mention. I was more just boggled as to why someone would make these cut outs from the wheel well/ fender lining. Modifications? Adjustment to one or more bolts that become accessible through the plastic lining? I'm not sure.

in the passenger footwell pic, is that flat plate with a bolt on it ... steel?

kinda looks like a spreader plate

what's the bolt attached to?

I initially thought a plate like that might have been a remnant of a bolt-in cage, but I'd expect more than one bolt per side... seems unlikely, so probably something else