Support VWWC

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo 9n3 Performance Tracking Thread #2

Users Country Flag

Ha ha. I don't think i'll be getting anywhere near 1'10'' first time there, in summer, on old 205's with stock brakes and a K03s. I think your time will be safe. Once I get used to the new suspension and if I have any tyres/brakes left I will try to see what's possible though.

What pads did you use Eddy?

Hoyhoy.

I just edited that time to SUB 1'10".
    Sam I used Ferodo ds2500 in the early days, but cooked emm, so went to ds3000 @ $100.00/pad & only got 3 to 4 days out of them on the front, the rear is easy on brakes.
    I'm thinking that ds2500 will suit ya.
    I also flushed Motul RBF-600 brake fluid before each meet.
    Hooroo.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    Hoyhoy.
    This may make sense in theory, but not in practice.
    O.K. may be a tiny bit of toe out with less HP than a Ko4 which Sam doesn't have.
    I ran with neutral toe for Waky & still delaminated the front left more than once.
    I say this with confidence after many a go @ Waky with the only street reg. 9N3 to crack sub 1'10" plenty of times.
    (officially)
    So Sam that's your target for Waky.
    Sam's a big boy he can make his own decisions, I'm just throwing suggestions at him. Which BTW are not theory but practical experience in 30+ years of racing FWD cars, everything from Production Cars to SuperTourers. Toe out won't cause delamination of the outside (left hand) tyre as it won't increase its slip angle, not the case for the inside tyre of course. With the elastomeric caster bushes it will lose some toe out under brakes, on turn in, which is when toe out it is beneficial. If Sam trail brakes to the apex then even more important that it still retains some toe out.

Merry Xmas to all
    Gary
    Last edited by Sydneykid; 21-12-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Thanks all for the input. Alright I have some brake sourcing dramas due to Christmas and needing them by Jan 14. Apparently my Remsas are only good up to 650 degrees. I remember at the tarmac rally sprints that DBS were doing a survey and my fronts (I assume discs) were 800+ degrees when I pulled into time control after 3km, so I don't think Remsas will cut it. I was all set on QFM A1RM's but GSL can't get them to me within 3 weeks as the compound needs to be bonded to my backing plates which requires post - re post. My next fall back was going to be EBC green stuff but they have discontinued them and now only offer Red stuff pads. The only others I can find are Ferodo DS2500.
    So red stuff EBC's or DS2500 considering that I'll be doing Bathurst hillclimbs on them (need something there from cold) 3 weeks later?

Users Country Flag
    hmmm I'll answer my own question. Finding lots of shaky stuff re the reds, not so with the ferodo's even though the general consensus is that they haven't moved on/developed from a long time ago but are predictable and reliable and wont let you down. Just to find some in time now...

Yeah I'd go the ferodo's over EBC every day of the week. No arguments on your summation of them above. The 2500's are a similar compound/capability of the A1RM's if I recall correctly. I've had the 2000's or 2500's, can't recall specifically back in subaru days and they were a solid performer and reasonable price. EBC's just seem over priced/over marketed.

Just my two bobs worth:
    I wouldn't stress over suspension geometry or even brake pads (given you have an "adequate" set-up). It's going to be hot AF down there so successive hard laps isn't perhaps a recommended approach; it'd be hard lap, cool down lap at pace, hard lap. Tyre, oil and intake temps will be the influencing factors and need to be managed accordingly. Plus, being the first time out, just be focused on getting a feel for things at a higher pace, take notes, tweak in between sessions, etc, and come back when it's cooler to put down some harder laps.

Geometry wise, I'd be going a more nuetral set-up than you'd otherwise run in hill climbs given the higher pace and tyre loading (i've only skimmed the above discussion). A car that rotates through a corner perfectly at 60kph may be a nightmare at 160kph - which is why I run the wing on track, cos without it she's quite a handful at pace and under high speed braking.

Drive hard, enjoy it, the lap time will be what it is.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Sean. Yeah basically I'm going to view the day as a test day. I want to get to grips with what will be a brand new chassis - play with ride heights, damping ARB settings and see what does what. My mate in his Clio is doing a half day tuition so I'll end up probably following him around to find the lines and then see whats what after that. Main reason I'm going along with him is because I didn't want the first time I drive the new suspension at pace to be when I'm sitting on Conrod looking up the esses at the Bathurst hillclimbs in March - that'd be a bit daunting. So yeah learning the 'new' car at a decent clip on the circuit should be good prep for Bathurst and i'll be treating it as a learning experience and the plan is to keep it all in one piece. But i'll be honest with you if the little Clio
    (recently cage and engineered 2 seater) starts nipping at my heels (my mate is a total red mist case) I won't be letting that happen! ha ha

Users Country Flag
    just got quoted 315 bucks for a front set of the ds2500. That sound about right?

Users Country Flag
    V sport Sydney are awesome. next day delivery at this time of year. DS2500's + ducting will hopefully keep me out there with an intact pedal. Thanks for the help gentleman.

Users Country Flag

14/1/18
    Wakefield Park
    A050 mediums 205/50/15
    1:10.3905 natsoft
    Result

hmm if link doesn't work its jan/14/2018 natsoft
    Last edited by sambb; 16-01-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast