Thread: Polo 9n3 GTI - Brake upgrade recommended before ECU tune?

Users Country Flag

Smile Polo 9n3 GTI - Brake upgrade recommended before ECU tune?

Hi everyone,

I was reading through some posts on here and someone recommended a brake upgrade before getting an ECU tune. Is this generally recommended? I ask because I'm just about to get my brake pads/rotors replaced and figure if so it's a good time to do it.

My next question - I've seen that people like to upgrade to 312mm rotors (frequently the Audi TT's). I've seen some people mention new calipers are required and others say they're not. Does this depend on the specific rotor model?

My follow up question would be what Audi TT model would have the right rotors? And would aftermarket rotors from supercheap fit with the stock calipers? They have some for the 2010 TT for around $100 each on there. The 312mm pads that come up when inputting the VW Polo GTI itself on supercheap's website are more expensive - $212 each (DBA brand). Does anyone have any input on that front?

Thanks guys! Any help would be much appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    stay away from cheap brake rotors & pads, they're cheap for a reason - you're significantly better off buying quality brakes in the standard size than cheap crap in a bigger size. Recommendation from others on here for pads seems to be "remsa" brand.

I don't have an ECU tune, but I don't think a brake upgrade is necessary, the standard brakes were very impressive on the track - back there again this Sunday

+1 depending on your driving a brake upgrade may not be necessary. It’s really if you’re going to be doing a lot of heavy braking from speed that you’d want to look at it.

Also no use getting bigger discs if you keep the stock caliper as it’s still operating at the same distance out from the centre. So braking efficiency will be the same. You need to increase both disc and caliper to match the new size rotor size.

If you’re needing to replace brake pads and rotors it’s a good time to upgrade. If you’re on a budget just do pads and rotors. If you can stretch get bigger rotors and upgrade the calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I've tracked mine nearly once a month for the last 3 years admittedly mostly on hillclimbs but also rally sprints and some circuit stuff and I'd have to say that not once have I felt that the brakes are inadequate. When I was going onto a circuit I just ran ducts to the fronts from the foglight surrounds and used ferodo DS2500 pads (remsas in the back) and I never got near any fade. A guy I hillclimb with who is a legit good driver went to porsche cayman calipers and bigger rotors in his Skoda Fab (quality stuff but still a heavier package overall) and he went noticeably backwards at the hillclimb events. Point being, unless you are going to plug around and around a circuit you will probably be slower with a bigger brake package because the rotational mass will be bigger and spinning on a bigger diameter too. If you don't need the extra weight it'll just sap horsepower. Also what I've really come to notice lately is that if your car is handling beautifully you will actually ask way less of your brakes than if you are steering a turd. ie The money you will spend on brakes could give you the sweetest handling car that'll just rail through corners that others will be standing on the anchors for.

Users Country Flag
    Polo’s aren’t that heavy. I personally think that the stock brakes are fine for street use up to stage 2 so long as you have good pads and discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChipPleb View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was reading through some posts on here and someone recommended a brake upgrade before getting an ECU tune. Is this generally recommended? I ask because I'm just about to get my brake pads/rotors replaced and figure if so it's a good time to do it.

My next question - I've seen that people like to upgrade to 312mm rotors (frequently the Audi TT's). I've seen some people mention new calipers are required and others say they're not. Does this depend on the specific rotor model?

My follow up question would be what Audi TT model would have the right rotors? And would aftermarket rotors from supercheap fit with the stock calipers? They have some for the 2010 TT for around $100 each on there. The 312mm pads that come up when inputting the VW Polo GTI itself on supercheap's website are more expensive - $212 each (DBA brand). Does anyone have any input on that front?

Thanks guys! Any help would be much appreciated.
    I've been using F+R DBA T2 rotors for about 6 years. Can't fault them. Car stops quick and haven't crashed up the arse of anyone. Haha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    The polo is a light car new quality rotors and pads and maybe a better brake fluid will do the job just fine for a stage 1 or even 2 ecu tune

Unless your planing on tracking it a lot then you will be up for big dollars for a light weight 4 or 6 piston caliper and floating front rotors with a aluminum hub 4k+ not worth it imo

good luck with your tune
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    Just upgrade the pads with new disks, I went to a set of remsa's and standard dba rotors on all 4 and the difference is substantial over stock pads, also less wheel dust.
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks everyone, I'm now leaning towards just getting new pads and rotors.

Another thing is I've just realized I probably have the smaller 256mm rotors, as I have an earlier model (2006). I'll measure them this afternoon.

This should still be fine with an APR state 1 tune right?

Users Country Flag

My first Pog was an 06' and it had 288mm fronts. The diesels had the smaller fronts I think.