Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo 9n 1.6 n/a project

Polo 9n 1.6 n/a project

Hello, my name is Thanasis. I'm the owner of a polo 9n 1.4 bby 75hp.

Right now I'm proceeding with my project. The plan as of now is:

1. aub complete head (Reprofiled oem or aftermarket cams. Looking for options except dbilas 252-10)
    2. 1.6 pistons, rods, crankshaft
    3. aub intake manifold ( I would like to have an aftermarket one, but the only one I can find is from dbilas and it's really expensive. If you have any suggestions they are welcome!)
    4. aub injectors
    5. aub throttle body (I've found a slightly bigger vdo throttle body that is p&p, so I might use this)
    6. BMC CDA airbox
    7. R8 coils
    8. 4-2-1 exhaust manifold
    9. 55mm exhaust

I would be glad if someone could guide me, or link a topic that can be helpful. I'm looking forward to your responses! Stay safe!

Users Country Flag
    You are going to spend a lot of money for not a lot of gain. If you don't have any particular reason for sticking N/A then I'd suggest you consider buying a front half of a turbo model and swapping over the mechanicals. A better result in the end, with much more scope for development, at a lower cost.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    I don't know much about that engine eg whether it has a street tuners/motorsport sort of capability. I'm assuming the head you're looking to run is DOHC. If not then are you sure its going to be capable of flowing the required air even with cams/valve work/porting to be able to make good relative power for the dollars you'll spend to try? Not knocking your idea - a mate of mine runs a Renault fuego 3 valve per cylinder head, spark plug in the wrong spot, weird combustion chamber - emissions era car and with A LOT of work got it revving to 9000rpm and making 150hp atw and it is a really fun car. It took him a over a year and triple his budget and a standard 2.0L SR20 would still probably beat it because its not cammed to rev to the heavens to achieve the same power figure.
    If you had your heart set on NA then even a 1.8T high comp'd with a pair of cams and nothing else would work better for less $ and you know it and a box will fit.

Thanks for the replies! Appreciate all the opinions. I know a 1.8t conversion would be more logical and has better results for further development.

Thing is that with this setup the car is going to be ~150hp (seen dyno and drove car with same setup), with room for improvements. I bought everything I need for 600 euros. Checked head (valve stems, guides, seats, lifters etc.) as well as all the parts and they are in great condition. A 1.8t complete swap would cost me at least 2500euros + labour to get it on the car, with an engine and gearbox of unknown condition that may need to be rebuilt soon.

My plan is quite solid as it is and I know I will be happy with the results. What I'm looking for is the details that can make a difference.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Hey just out of curiosity is that 1.4 block the same family of block as the 1.2TSI and CAVE 1.4TFSI twin charger. If so you might have DOHC options?

1.2 tsi is completely different. 1.4 tsi has the same bore and stroke (76.5x75.6) as well as other similarities, but the head I'm using is already DOHC and one of the best flowing as well. So there isnt something I could use from this engine for N/A application.

Users Country Flag
    oh ok so it is DOHC. Wasn't sure - I thought it was a single cam. Well I for one will be very keen to see how the build goes. If you don't run this as a build thread on this site, please pass on a link to wherever else you may blog it.
    Sorry I dont have more to offer. If it was me I'd be paying a lot of attention to diff/gear ratios, keeping the rotating weight crank, flywheel, wheels, brakes package) as light as possible as well as the pulling weight out of the car itself.
    The intake you mentioned is that a single throttle body?
    What we can definitely help you with here is 9N chassis setup for when you have the engine sorted.
    What is it wit the Greek scene - you guys do some really cool stuff over there.

I will keep this thread updated. My gearbox is not the original, I'm using a shorter ratio from the 1.2 version. You can see the ratios here:
    Polo 9n 1.6 n/a project-h1ss2lrl-jpg

The stock ones:
    Polo 9n 1.6 n/a project-seurxczl-jpg

Intake manifold is a single throttle body one, but has bigger ports and plenum than the stock one. Here are some comparison photos:

Also stock throttle body(45mm) and the bigger one(54mm). The one from renault megane is even bigger(59mm). I will upload a comparison photo of the 3 throttle bodies when I have one.:

In the greek scene we have a polo 9n3 gti, which is one of the fastest fwd (if not the fastest) in its category. Here is a video of it with the old setup. Right now it is almost 900hp.
    Last edited by NachoBides; 19-05-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Users Country Flag
    yep, sounds like we'll learn more from your build than you can learn from us... twiddling numbers and fitting bigger turbos is the cheaters way of making power

I've seen that video you posted before - that car is crazy

Quote Originally Posted by simon k View Post
    yep, sounds like we'll learn more from your build than you can learn from us... twiddling numbers and fitting bigger turbos is the cheaters way of making power

I've seen that video you posted before - that car is crazy
    It's a joy for me to share experiences with other people. Also I know I could just buy a gti and build from there following the numerous guides for 1.8t but for me building something different is what makes me happy and keeps me learning. I don't have big expectations, I know where I'm going. I know I will be happy with the result, as I am attached emotionally to this car with this engine. Either way 150hp for reasonable money in a car which weights sub 1000kg with some simple weight reduction (removing spare wheel and rear seats- 5 minute job) can be really fun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast