Thread: Polo 9N - 00778 Steering angle sensor no comms

Polo 9N - 00778 Steering angle sensor no comms

Hello and ....help please,

I have just purchased a 2008 Polo tdi manual from auction for one of our kids. Runs, drives, stops - everything seems fine, BUT the orange steering light is on.

Address 44: Steering Assist Labels: 6Q0-423-156.clb
    Part No: 6R0 423 156 B
    Component: LenkhilfeTRW V277
    Coding: 11230
    Shop #: WSC 31414
    VCID: 2F6D1EFEED041DEB62-5122

1 Fault Found:
    00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
    49-00 - No Communications

I am confused as to exactly where the sensor is. Some reading tells me the G85 is behind the steering wheel, I have replaced the clock spring (which several videos claimed was the sensor too) with a used unit to find no change. This lead me to dismantle the clock spring to find it is just a clock spring - there's no sensor in there.

Next I have identified the "Steering Assist" module as being part of the power steer pump mounted below the LH headlight. Centre plug is power feed, Plug #2 is data (unplug it and the module disappears from network), Plug #3 is a 3 pin plug that goes to the steering rack. I assume this is my steering angle sensor? Testing resistance at plug#3 on the wire going to the rack shows open circuit.

Q#1: Is this sensor on the rack the G85 - or is it G250?

Another interesting thing I've noticed: The car has had a LH front accident which I assume is very recent. I notice when I removed the LH it has the fresh markings of a parts breaker AND I notice the power steer pump has a manufacture date of ... 06.09.2011. Given the car has a compliance date (off the ship and inspected in Australia) of early 2008, it appears obvious that someone has replaced the power steer pump with a used unit out of a 2011 or 12 car.

Is it possible I have a Module with incorrect coding?
    Or is the G85 on the rack and try replacing it?
    Last edited by harlie; 28-09-2023 at 06:15 PM.
    Octavia vRS TDi DSG MY10 - RD Technik tuned
    Polo 9N3 1.9TDi

Users Country Flag
    Some cars have the steering sensor in the rack and others part of the clockspring, as you said.

I think the issue was the car that the new rack came out of had ESP, and for ESP, there has to be a G85 sensor at the clockspring.

Have a read here http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_259.pdf

"The steering angle sender G85
    The steering angle sender is located on the
    steering column between steering column switch
    and steering wheel. This sensor is used on vehicle
    models which are available only with the
    electronic stability programme (ESP). In this case,
    the power steering sensor G250 is not fitted."
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

thanks!

Now have this sorted, it was the power steer pump/module that came out of a newer car. My car has G250 but module is looking for G85.

I posted same on ross-tech forum and someone provided the correct coding for the "Steering Assist" module and it now is reading the G250.

Done!
    Octavia vRS TDi DSG MY10 - RD Technik tuned
    Polo 9N3 1.9TDi