Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polli's progress thread (2007 Pog) - Pic heavy thread!

Users Country Flag

Polli's progress thread (2007 Pog) - Pic heavy thread!

Hey all,
    This thread is going in all directions as I try figure out what to do and what's wrong with her at times. Oh, and it will most likely include quite a fair bit of pictures that will definitely make sure the page takes a while to load if your net ain't up for it.

My current issues are on the bottom of the post and would like some advice on how to approach them.

First of all, a little intro.
    My first car that I've had for 4 years, 97 B5 A4 1.8 N/A Manual FWD wagon (Angie)

Didn't do much to her apart from rims with alot of tyre (Advan V105's) and a single mass flywheel. Everything else was just repairs.
    She was slow on the straight parts but the momentum you can hold through corners is still quite a bit faster than the polo despite it having shot shocks and ebay special lowering springs.
    323,000k's before she got written off for the 3rd incident within 6 months (Rear ended, roo, rear ended). Shame as the engine was still really strong despite being thrashed for 4 years (~100,000km) with me (~200psi dry on all 4 cylinders).

So yeah, went searching for a new car and ended up on my Pog which I bought May 2016 with 42,000km's on her. Chose her over a XR5, DS3, C30 T5 and a 147 GTA (Kinda wish I had the funds to keep an alfa running :/ ).
    But the big reason for getting the polo, no fluff, everything is right there without the need to dig through menu's and settings. Also, no one expects to have a polo on their tail

Bought the car with Eagle f1's fitted by the previous owners, not a fan of them as they didn't grip at all, but aside from that everything else was entirely factory (as delivered).

I travel alot between Gold Coast, Brisbane and Sunshine coast so don't be afraid to say hi if you spot me.

And here are quite alot of pics of some trips that I've done.

Toowoombah (Don't know why we went, did nothing there)

Photo taken by a good mate, 'theginzalines' on Flickr

Also taken the polo to now 3 (2 and a half, first got cancelled after the second session) sprint days, photos from the reorganised (Second) very wet day which was massive fun.

Some pics from Sanctuary cove

Bagara/Harvey Bay trip (These are taken by my mate 'theginzalines' on Flickr)

January 2017 Downshift

Photo taken by 'theginzalines' on Flickr

Have had a few minor issues with the polo, main one being a flat battery since I forget to turn off parkers due to door switch not being reliable and also running out of fuel (Gauge is not accurate and I did not make it the extra 10k I thought I would) Which means that it is now more unreliable than my wagon which was is funny as that leaked every fluid possible when I first got it.

Also, new plates.
    Recommend euro plates any day as they look at home on the car.

More pics are to follow from my recent Mt Tambourine Sunday.

Track time Tracking

QR Clubman Config (Natsoft timers)
    03/08/2016 - 1:16.5028 (Stock, Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional tyres)
    24/08/2016 - 1:20.7548 (Stock, Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional tyres, very wet conditions)
    24/08/2016 - 1:10.7402 (Stock, RE003, Brake wear indicator just went on first session, GPS 154km/h max on pit straight)

Current issues I need/want to fix and would like advice on approaching
    This metallic rattle from the rear right of the car (I think, ripped the trim and everything out and it still persists) it's not loud and is just a tapping noise but is there all the time, especially over bumps.

Spongy brakes despite rebleeding it 3 times (Pedal slowly goes to floor when pressed hard and stationary with car on but is rock solid when car is off), also need new brakes all round and considering DBA T2 rotors with Remsa pad combo for all corners, any suggestions?

Gearbox whine and crunches (Recently replaced fluid with Redline MTL, still crunching though whine is quieter). Crunches third sometimes when short shifting slowly, second crunches are because I forget to not change gears while turning or getting wheelspin in wet and being a bit quick on the shift :/

RE003's aren't as grippy as I've heard, got out handled by a taxi (prius...) one time and the rear end likes to come out alot so I don't find them progrssive either. Current tyre pressures are factory (260kPa front, 240kPa rear) from previously running 37psi front and 38psi rear which made it understeer quite a bit.

Headlight deterioration problem (Currently going to try glassylite, waiting arrival)
    Last edited by Euromy; 10-02-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Users Country Flag

Polli's progress thread (2007 Pog) - Pic heavy thread!

Meguiars Plastx + $30 buffer from Kmart. Works a treat on the headlights

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue9N3 View Post
    Meguiars Plastx + $30 buffer from Kmart. Works a treat on the headlights
    Thanks for the suggestion, might need to sand it as it's quite bad now since the melbourne trip (downside of trying to stay close to my mates van infront).
    Or do you think that the Plast-x is abrasive enough to get through?

Users Country Flag
    Welcome mate. I've seen your polo around before and see your mates Honda quite regularly, I'm on the Gold Coast too - Runway Bay Area.

If you have already replaced the gearbox oil, it might be worth doing a linkage reset to see if that helps.

Is the rear coming loose when off power? If so, lift off oversteer is a common thing with the polos on stock suspension. Depending on the conditions, it still sometimes happens even with aftermarket suspension.

I had the DBA T2's/remsa on the front of mine before going to larger brakes. I found them great compared to the stock combo, especially on track.

Hope that helps
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Thanks louis,

I'm over at Arundel, Definitely have noticed the 'tdi' polo down the road with the yellow gti (Pirelli edition?).

How exactly do you do a linkage reset? and I'm thinking a dog bone mount might also be causing it.

And that's good to hear, was wondering if t2s were worth the extra bit. Was initially planning to do the tt brake upgrade but funds and time are the issue at the moment.

Also, rear tends to kick out without using the throttle to persuade it. Though can induce lift off at times.
    Last edited by Euromy; 10-02-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    There's something not 100% if your 003s aren't grippy.

I have never had the back come round on me in the Squib. Whiteline rear bar set to hard. Even in the wet it's planted. MCA coilovers

Yours looks pretty tall, is it on std suspension? That's probably it.

I have some Powerflex dogbone inserts for $75. The purple track version. Most folk complain about the vibration but I think they mostly need to harden up

My brake pedal sinks a bit, it's much better after using VCDS to cycle the ABS valves. I'll be doing a fluid change tomorrow afternoon before Happy Laps.

Have you had a tune? Couldn't see that mentioned.

Cheers

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Euromy View Post
    Thanks louis,

Definitely have noticed the 'tdi' polo down the road with the yellow gti (Pirelli edition?).

How exactly do you do a linkage reset? and I'm thinking a dog bone mount might also be causing it.

And that's good to hear, was wondering if t2s were worth the extra bit. Was initially planning to do the tt brake upgrade but funds and time are the issue at the moment.

Also, rear tends to kick out without using the throttle to persuade it. Though can induce lift off at times.

Lol, Thought we already spoke about me not going for the tune just yet. Not until I have supporting mods like fmic and down pipe which is after brakes, major service and suspension. (definitely going stage two with you after those are done, just a broke Uni student... :/ ).

I've been speaking to two different Bridgestone stores about the re003's and one reckons it's the rear alignment bit I don't see how that has a large effect (3.8mm toe in on RR wheel) while the other says shocks are doing it. On the hope island road roundabouts I'm always getting oversteer there without trying too hard.

Read somewhere that you had the softer dogbone inserts which is what I'm interested in as the car is a daily (76,000km now. So I've done 34,000km in 8 months...)

Thinking that there is air in the abs module as sometimes I hit the floor after a good mountain run up in peachester but can't get it out since I don't have vcds.

After major service looking at getting b8 shocks but stick with stock springs for then, decided the car has enough oversteer to rule out the need for a rear sway.
    Last edited by Euromy; 10-02-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Lol, Thought we already spoke about me not going for the tune just yet. Not until I have supporting mods like fmic and down pipe which is after brakes, major service and suspension. (definitely going stage two with you after those are done, just a broke Uni student... :/ ).
    I've been speaking to two different Bridgestone stores about the re003's and one reckons it's the rear alignment bit I don't see how that has a large effect (3.8mm toe in on RR wheel) while the other says shocks are doing it. On the hope island road roundabouts I'm always getting oversteer there without trying too hard.
    Read somewhere that you had the softer dogbone inserts which is what I'm interested in as the car is a daily (76,000km now. So I've done 34,000km in 8 months...)
    Thinking that there is air in the abs module as sometimes I hit the floor after a good mountain run up in peachester but can't get it out since I don't have vcds.
    After major service looking at getting b8 shocks but stick with stock springs for then, decided the car has enough oversteer to rule out the need for a rear sway.
    Short memory on my part.

I think you have it wrong about the oversteer, they really aren't oversteery with std suspension. Just not set up like that. Maybe the axle is moving about or has been bent?

Which way are you turning went the oversteer comes on?

If you brake hard on a loose surface to trigger the ABS, it would have a similar effect.

I don't have any yellow mounts in and not likely to get any before I move to Melbourne at the end of March.

Left or right, rear end tends to come out, just happened again with no throttle input on the little drive i just had. And that's what i thought with standard suspension, the eagle f1s were very understeery.

Don't think the axle had been bent as everything is very clean and that's the opposite toe to where it would be if it were to hit a curb.

Braking hard tends to bring the rear to whichever way the wheel is turned, that I don't mind. Just when entering corners at a decent pace I have very little confidence.

And the mount can wait till December then, think I'm driving down for fsae again. That's if you plan on restocking them again. Mine looks fine, just get clunking if I misbehave in the wet from a stand still, could also be lca bushes but I don't remember if you stock the seat ones.

Users Country Flag

Left or right, rear end tends to come out, just happened again with no throttle input on the little drive i just had. And that's what i thought with standard suspension, the eagle f1s were very understeery.
    Don't think the axle had been bent as everything is very clean and that's the opposite toe to where it would be if it were to hit a curb.

Braking hard tends to bring the rear to whichever way the wheel is turned, that I don't mind. Just when entering corners at a decent pace I have very little confidence.
    And the mount can wait till December then, think I'm driving down for fsae again. That's if you plan on restocking them again. Mine looks fine, just get clunking if I misbehave in the wet from a stand still, could also be lca bushes but I don't remember if you stock the seat ones.
    Not sure if I'll be getting any bushes in. I do orders randomly.

I prefer Superpro for the LCAs, the offset ones set for anti lift.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast