Support VWWC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Polli's progress thread (2007 Pog) - Pic heavy thread!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Blue9N3 View Post
    Mine still knocks despite replacing all those bushes. Only thing left are the. Swaybar links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does yours feel loose at times?
    Over certain bumps there's sometimes a lack of steering feel.

Users Country Flag
    Nah, everything feels super tight (poly bushes in most places), knock seems to only be a noise (for now)

Yeah, probably lca bushings gone now.
    How are the poly bushes?
    Alot harsher than stock?

Users Country Flag
    I found them ok. Got nolathane front lower control arm bushes and white line rear beam lock bushes (sorta like pineapples)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue9N3 View Post
    I found them ok. Got nolathane front lower control arm bushes and white line rear beam lock bushes (sorta like pineapples)

Ok, might busy go with the seat for now as not looking for anything harsher.

Quote Originally Posted by Euromy View Post
    Ok, might busy go with the seat for now as not looking for anything harsher.
    I've got the seat sport bushes in my daily, along with bilstein struts. It handles exceptionally well.

Not the discount the oversteer as something mechanical, the oversteer could also be a result of your driving style on the stock set-up. You will find its limitations quite early, but go aftermarket and it'll transform that.

Obiously when braking hard you get weight transfer which increases grip/load on the front and lightens the rear, as you add some lock onto that the rear can come around (i.e unbalance the car). Being on stock suspension that transfer along with rear wheel travel is quite high. On the track, this behaviour can be good (I'm somewhat chasing this), though on the street it's not a comfortable balance. I don't know your driving ability/style so i mean no offence, you want to get as much of the hard braking done at the start of the braking zone & as you get closer towards the corner, come off the brakes a little to get the rear to settle before tipping it. If your braking is getting heavier the closer you get the corner/turn-in point, you'll unbalance the car (that being either understeer or oversteer), which is not what you want = poor braking technique for aggressive/track oriented driving.

Great to see another polo out getting amongst track events.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    I've got the seat sport bushes in my daily, along with bilstein struts. It handles exceptionally well.

Not the discount the oversteer as something mechanical, the oversteer could also be a result of your driving style on the stock set-up. You will find its limitations quite early, but go aftermarket and it'll transform that.

Obiously when braking hard you get weight transfer which increases grip/load on the front and lightens the rear, as you add some lock onto that the rear can come around (i.e unbalance the car). Being on stock suspension that transfer along with rear wheel travel is quite high. On the track, this behaviour can be good (I'm somewhat chasing this), though on the street it's not a comfortable balance. I don't know your driving ability/style so i mean no offence, you want to get as much of the hard braking done at the start of the braking zone & as you get closer towards the corner, come off the brakes a little to get the rear to settle before tipping it. If your braking is getting heavier the closer you get the corner/turn-in point, you'll unbalance the car (that being either understeer or oversteer), which is not what you want = poor braking technique for aggressive/track oriented driving.

Great to see another polo out getting amongst track events.
    Yeah, just noticed that where I usually get oversteer is on roundabouts, otherwise it's the expected understeer.
    What stumps me is when it happens on a flat roundabout with zero throttle or brake input and not being aggressive with the steering and the rear end just swings out, think it just doesn't like the change of direction.

On the track the car was a tad on the understeer side, but I can just feel the rear end being dragged out multiple times though a corner, I think that's esp trying to correct me though.
    In the wet for me I really need to take advantage of weight transfer if I want to enter anything at a medium-decent pace otherwise I understeer massively, but I do need to change my habits to braking hard early as I'm used to doing the opposite with the old car and just trail braking into corners.

I think my problem at the moment is that I'm not used to the short wheelbase, plus I have zero confidence in the brakes and tyres.
    What tyre pressures are recommended? Think I mentioned it before that I'm running about 38 front and 36 rear, which are pretty much the factory recommended as that's killed a bit of understeer weirdly and made the car feel more neutral.

You want to try carry throttle into the apex and accelerate out. Even if very light throttle, that'll stop the rear trying to overtake the front end.

The factory suspension set up wasn't good from recollection, too soft and not overly adjustable, though it's also been too many years since I've driven on stock stuff, so it just may not be as adjustable as you're seeking.

Those tyre pressures are fine, but probably a bit high for street driving IMO. I'd run that on track, but 34-36 on street.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123