Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Polo Tyre Thread

The Official Polo Tyre Thread

Ok Guys, Just had an idea. We have had alot of Threads about tyres so i thought it would be a good idea if we Start a thread where people can Post what Tyres they replaced there OEM tyres with and how they compare. And yes this may be only our personal feelings so not altogether technical but its a better start then no info at all.

Please leave chit chat at the absolute minimum. The less off topic stuff people have to read the easier it is on those who are after info. If you have questions use the PM function instead.

If you could follow the setup that i have used should also help people read the info.

And if you have updates edit your original post instead of starting a new one.

Can we have this added to the FAQ if all goes well.

Ill start off.

Car - 06 Polo GTI
    Rim Size - 16x6.5
    New Tyre - Michelin Pilot Preceda (PP2) Michelin Website
    Tyre Size - 205/45/16
    Tyre Replaced - Continental Compac Sport 2 CCS2
    Km's On new Tyre - 200km
    Thoughts on New Tyre - well i know its only 200kms old but i definitely feel more inspired round corners. Brakes just as well if not better then the CCS2. Ride quality is good. Ill take it for mountian run soon and then add more.
    Last edited by shaneth; 24-08-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    For Sale 2006 VW Polo GTI
    Have a Look
    CUSTOM CODE
    Phase 2

Great idea shaneth!

Car - 07 Polo GTI
    Rim Size - 17x7.5
    New Tire - Michelin Pilot Preceda (PP2)
    Tire Size - 215/40/17
    Tire Replaced - N/A (tyres were fitted by the dealer before delivery)
    Km's On new Tire - 4000km
    Thoughts on New Tire - I've always been a fan of the Michelin tyre range and these 'baby' Pilots seem to live up to the family name. Reasonable grip on the track for a road-spec tyre and they seem fairly progressive at the limit, minimal scrubbing visible after a track outing which is a good sign as to the tyre life.

Car - 06 Polo GTI
    Rim Size - 16x6.5
    New Tire - None Yet
    Tire Size - 205/45/16
    Exisiting Tire - Continental Contact Sport 2 CCS2
    Km's On Tire - 47000km

Thoughts on New Tire - Well the conti's have been alright, but don't seem to offer that much grip. Going to try out Toyo T1R's next. They're cheap at only $179 fitted, so if they don't last 50,000km like the contis (at $300/corner) I won't mind. If they turn out crap, a track day will follow.

Car - 07 Polo GTI
    Rim Size - 17x7
    New Tire - Michelin Pilot Preceda (PP2)
    Price - Quoted 290-300 a corner (dealer)
    Tire Size - 205/40/17
    Tire Replaced - None
    Km's On new Tire - 4500km
    Thoughts on New Tire - Awesome, holds through corners really well, lots better than my previous car that had federals and nowhere near as much power pulling at the rubber. Will definitely get them again.
    Last edited by VW GTI; 09-04-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Car - Polo GTI
    Rim Size - Standard GTI Wheels
    New Tire - None yet
    Tire Size - 205/45/16
    Existing tire - Dunlop SP sport maxx
    Km's On new Tire - 11,700km
    Thoughts on Tire - Pretty damn good tire, has won plenty of awards in car magazines. Lives upto reputation but it seems like its quite a hard compound (hard ride) wet weather grip is soo soo.
    I wouldnt have a problem getting these tires again, but out of curiosity i will be trying Michelins. IF i stay with 16inch wheels ill be getting Pilot Exalto's, if i step upto 17inch ill be getting PP2's
    GTI. Leather.
    tint,Eibach pro-kit,Whiteline adjustable swaybars,Forge s/brace,BMC,Forge T.I.P & D.V, Cupra R, APR. EBC & 3''dump pipe

Users Country Flag
    Car - 06 Polo GTI
    Rim Size - 16x6.5
    New Tire - Kuhmo Ecsta KU-31
    Tire Size - 205/45/16
    Tire Replaced - Continental Contact Sport 2 CCS2
    Km's On New Tire - 8000km (contis lasted 37000ks)

Thoughts on New Tire - good value compared to contis. Good grip in the dry, quiet (until they start to lose grip - howl like a bitch then ). Very grippy in the wet. Nice and progressive when they do start to slide. No probs with wearing so far.

Can people include the price they paid and where they got them.

Ohhh, I'm an old pedant, but it's TYRE not TIRE (we don't live in the US of A)

Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post
    but it's TYRE not TIRE (we don't live in the US of A)
    I always say Tyre, but i thought i must have been wrong all these years hence why i said tire.

GTI. Leather.
    tint,Eibach pro-kit,Whiteline adjustable swaybars,Forge s/brace,BMC,Forge T.I.P & D.V, Cupra R, APR. EBC & 3''dump pipe

Car - 06 Polo GTI
    Rim Size - 17x7.5
    New Tire - Bridgestone Adrenalin (RE001)
    Price - $230/tyre
    Tire Size - 205/40/17
    Tire Replaced - Faaarken RT615
    Km's On new Tire - 6500km
    Thoughts on New Tire - Admittedly, anything not square in shape would be better as a road tyre than the RT615s, but the Adrenalins handle well in dry and wet, give good turn in, ride nicely and are quiet. Not as soft as the OEM Contis, but much better handling when pushed. Happy. Would buy again.

Users Country Flag

Car:06 Polo GTI
    Rim size:16"x7"
    Tyre:Continental CS2
    Kilometres:47500
    Not a bad road tyre,little soft in the sidewall for the track,and this causes a bit of a problem on the road.Just replaced one with a bulge in the wall caused by our lovely roads.
    Last year lost one to a sharpish rock puncturing the sidewall at onder 10kph...
    So all in all,a little weak for our Aussie roads.

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast