Support VWWC

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Polo Tyre Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Funkdancer View Post
    Thread stickied! (Will edit this post to reflect my Eagle F1 tyres later.)
    While you're sorting out your thoughts...

Car - 2006 Polo TDI
    Rim Size - 16x6.5
    New Tyre - Goodyear Eagle F1
    Tyre Size - 205/45X16
    Tyre Replaced - no idea - standard is 14" and i never saw them
    Cost - $250ea
    Km's On new Tire - 53,000km
    Thoughts on New Tyre - Absolutely fantastic tyre. Excellent grip in the wet and dry - the polo is pushing through 290nm chipped and it grips and grips... The car's cornering is substantially improved from the one i test drove, however that was on 14" rims and whatever the standard tyres are on it, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.
    Oh and 53,000kms... I am thinking about getting them replaced just because I'm uneasy about just how much ground they've covered...

Hehehe I bumped into a kerb at less than 5 km/h and detonated my Conti.

Just have to wait for my vouchers from my credit card to arrive and I'll be off to get some preceda 2's. I hope it doesn't take the full 28 days they reckon it takes for the vouchers to arrive

Car - 2006 Polo GTI
    Rim size - 16 x 6.5
    New Tyre - Marangoni Zeta Linea
    Tyre Size - 205 / 45 x 16
    Tyre Replacement - Continental CS2
    Cost - $184 each
    Kms on new tyre - 1000 (approx.)
    Thoughts on new tyre - Great in wet & dry. About the same road noise as the Contis. Tracked them at Morgan Park (Warwick) and most impressed with their handling.
    Would I recommend them? - Without a qualm.
    Longevity - I'll let you know.

Dave

Car - 07 Polo GTI
    Rim Size - 16x6.5
    New Tyre - Toyo Proxes T1R
    Tyre Size - 205/45/16
    Old Tyre - Dunlop Sport Maxx
    Km's On Old Tyre - 40000km
    Km's On New Tyre - 4000km

Toyos have better grip in a straight line and a smoother ride, but cornering is very poor. I'm guessing they are a softer compound and softer sidewall, cos steering is more vague (less feedback thru the wheel) and cornering grip is much less and a bit unpredictable. I think the tread just isn't as well controlled and squirms around more. The Dunlops were much more predictable on the limit in cornering, the Toyos unexpectedly and suddenly let go at a much lower speed than the dunlops. I have no confidence in them compared to the dunlops.

Car - 06 Polo GTI
    Rim Size - 16x6.5
    New Tyre - Michelin PP2's
    Tyre Size - 205/45/16
    Old Tyre - Conti Contact Sport 2
    Km's On Old Tyre - 52000km
    Km's On New Tyre - 400km

The conti's weren't bad, sidewalls were and issue and flexed around corners.

The PP2's have very poor straight line grip. I don't know if I have worn off the slippery layer yet, but out of the tyre fitter I ripped a nice 1st-2nd-3rd gear burnout. Still after 400km there is no grip. Cornering is great added 15km/h to my favourite corners and no sidewall flex

The Tyre dealer only put 30psi in them when they were fitted which gave me horrid fuel economy. I put my usual 41psi in the fronts and 38psi in the back but the car is still drinking 1L/100km more than before with the Conti's.

Overall I gained cornering at the cost of more fuel and less straight line grip.

Users Country Flag
    Car:VW Polo GTI
    Rim Size:16X6.5
    New Tyre:Federal 595RS
    Tyre Size: 205/45 R16
    Tyres Replaced: Michelin Sport Contact 2
    KM's on New Tyre: 250km
    Thoughts on new Tyre: Hello Grip!! So much less tyre wall flex. Throw it into a corner and feel the tyres grip and go. The tyres build up heat very quickly and hold it Very well. Corners don't lead into power under-steer. very easy to control. If you get any power over-steer, just back off a touch then plant the right foot again.
    Last edited by Blitzen; 14-06-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    "If can't get behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them..."

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Car:VW Polo GTI
    Rim Size:16X6.5
    New Tyre:Federal 595RS
    Tyre Size: 205/45 R16
    Tyres Replaced: Michelin Sport Contact 2
    KM's on New Tyre: 250km
    Thoughts on new Tyre: Hello Grip!! So much less tyre wall flex. Throw it into a corner and feel the tyres grip and go. The tyres build up heat very quickly and hold it very well. Corners don't lead into power under-steer. very easy to control. If you get any power over-steer, just back off a touch then plant the right foot again.
    How much did you pay for these mate? Always heard bad things about Federal's. Need to replace my Conti's as they have 35,000 on them and are stuffed! Was going to get PP2's but a bit $$
    '07 Polo GTI - Stock

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by hummel View Post
    How much did you pay for these mate? Always heard bad things about Federal's. Need to replace my Conti's as they have 35,000 on them and are stuffed! Was going to get PP2's but a bit $$
    I got them for $300 each. I havn't heard anything bad about them either. My mate recommended them to me and I thought I would have a look.
    "If can't get behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them..."

what are the downsides of using semi-slicks on the road?

Noise and lack of wet weather grip.

Also, they cost more and only last about 10000kms.

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast