Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New 9n3 GTI owner

Users Country Flag

Which fluid was used in the box?

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    I have a sceond hand oil cooler and mocal thermostated sandwich plate if you're interested
    Sam, I have PM'd you about it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by triode12 View Post
    Sam, I have PM'd you about it.
    Just a thought on this, Sam and I both have a FMIC and put the oil cooler where the SMIC was...

So grab Sam's stuff but you might need to sit on it till you get a FMIC in.

Quote Originally Posted by simon k View Post
    Just a thought on this, Sam and I both have a FMIC and put the oil cooler where the SMIC was...

The problem is I don't know when I will be doing the FMIC as I was planning on tracking the car first as it is. The next item was the Bilstein coilovers then Stg 2 tune later because of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by simon k View Post

The problem is I don't know when I will be doing the FMIC as I was planning on tracking the car first as it is. The next item was the Bilstein coilovers then Stg 2 tune later because of the cost.

Users Country Flag
    If you will be getting out on the track then I reckon do the cooler in front of the AC core until you sort the tune/front mount IC. They really cook the oil on the track. At 130+ degrees your 5w-30 will be a 5W-nothing and you could kill the engine or turbo so its worth it from a reliability point of view. Its no big deal then to switch the cooler to the fender when you front mount the IC at a later date.
    The stock side mount can be improved with a water spray, opening up the entry/fog surround to get more air onto it and then vent the guard liner so the air can get out. That’ll cost you basically nothing and get you out on the track in the mean time.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Simon, I got the 70K one - did a search on the forum and people are saying that the 70K one is enough and not too stiff for normal driving.
    These people need to HTFU. I daily drive the Powerflex race insert and have done for years and years. Also have Vibra Technics engine mounts. I really don't think it's that bad.

Users Country Flag

Hi Sam,
    Thanks for taking the trouble to write such a comprehensive reply! It is much appreciated.
    I have just purchased all of the necessary Superpro bushes thanks to Simon's recommendation.

I was considering doing the coilovers before the tune actually. I was thinking of getting Bilstein B16s with adjustable damping. I read that that KW coilovers and it's cheaper variants (ST coilovers) were hard to get parts for and re-built easily in Australia and that Bilsteins are much easier. My mechanic has suggested BC coilovers as budget alternatives.

I have a bit of a crunch in the gearbox going between 3rd to 4th since my mechanic changed the transmission fluid for me so I will be going back on Tuesday to see if it needs a bit more fluid put in. Also getting a bit of hesitation on acceleration and have bought replacement PRV and hose as they are leaking otherwise, it might be caused by a dirty MAF.
    FYI it can take a few KMs for the synthetic oil to do it's thing. I doubt the level has any bearing on the crunch unless it's down a litre. And I can never get 2 litres in one of our boxes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123