Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Missing when cold

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Ok fellas, anything else I can check with VCDS before I go systematically working through the hardware? This issue is getting very annoying and embarrassing when I pull out and have no power or start bunny hopping down the road. I just want to get back to enjoying my POG!

Users Country Flag
    Do me a set of logs again. And send them over. Also look at block 032 and screenshot it. If it's more than few percent out. Could indicate a leak somewhere

Gav, sorry, I missed your post the other day :-/ If you go back to just before that post, you will see a screenshot I did that had block 032 in it. You'll have to tell me which field references LTFT...if it's the second field, then that doesn't seem to deviate much from about 20, whether cold, hot, cruising, pushing or idling.

Looking at the state of the tailpipe, I would say it is probably is running rich, unless it's just some unburnt fuel from when it misses.

I'll try get those logs over to you in the weekend. Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Missed that. So unless i have fuel trim theory backwards, it's adding at idle meaning it's sucking in unmetered air after the MAF. But then removing a **** load of fuel at part throttle. Which says it rich, could be a decent boost leak.

Righto, so managed to drag myself away from the Datsun and do a fair bit of troubleshooting on this of late. A couple of weeks ago, after looking and listening in vane for boost leaks, I whipped out the injectors and gave them a clean out. Initial thoughts were I'd sorted it, as it appeared to be running better. About 2 days later though, it started to run like crap again, if less often than before.

Next step, I installed a boost gauge to help troubleshoot, well that and because it's been sitting in the shed for a while waiting for me to pull finger!

Missing when cold-polo-boost-gauge-jpg

Bugger me, although it was showing vacuum in the right range, about 20-25 in/hg, boost was only showing a max of about 13PSI. As she's just a cheapo electronic boost gauge, I wasn't that confident about those figures. So I followed up with some logging and this was the output from ECUxPlot, clearly showing it tapping out at about 15PSI or so (I'm not sure if the ~2PSI discrepancy between the gauge and logs should be expected?):

Missing when cold-capture-jpg

Clearly something's not right. TBC

Time to get serious about finding a boost leak...

Missing when cold-leak-test-1-jpg

Missing when cold-leak-test-2-jpg

TBC

Here it is... Turbo hotside rubber hose hiding inside that fabric heat shield. That split is about 50mm long. Absolutely stoked to have found it and hoping I can get a replacement quick and be back to a clean running ~20PSI pronto! Thanks guys for your help and suggestions. It's a real pain to troubleshoot this stuff, but hopefully this helps someone else.

Missing when cold-burst-pipe-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Epic win there Dunc. Hope you can find a secondhand pipe from somewhere.

06A 145 832 M should be $114 AUD over here

I just googled it and the Golf GTI has the same part. Its not Polo specific
    Last edited by h100vw; 12-02-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Try this stuff from supercheap for a quick fix until your part arrives. Works good.

Calibre Tape-It Self-Fusing Silicone Tape - Clear, 3m x 25mm | Supercheap Auto
    Calibre Tape-It Self-Fusing Silicone Tape - Clear, 3m x 25mm | Supercheap Auto

Users Country Flag

Yeah nice find. I built a tester like yours a while back but never got around to buying a compressor. I have a spare (90,000km) one of those hoses if you get stuck.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast