Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maf g/s Readings

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

the BJX has the small port intake manifolds dont they and was thinking of fitting the ATP Exhaust Manifold and port it alittle was gonna pull the intake manifold and port it and coat it black and put on the thermal gasket

Users Country Flag
    Not sure on the intake manifold manifold side of things. The stock exhaust manifold is pretty restrictive though. I had it off when my head to manifold gasket went. My mech heavily ported cyl 3 runner to get it close to what the others were flowing and also needed to port match between exhaust manifold and the turbo where there was a decent step up or down - can't quite remember. Seangti went from an aftermarket exhaust manifold back to a stock ported one I think and still lost some power I think so there is a fair restriction there. The restriction is probably less of an issue with the stock ko3 but if your going to a hybrid or ko4 like he did then it may be holding you back measurably.
    I'm not denying there is an issue with head to manifold heat soak after you park the car but I woulnt obsess about it. The issue is if you've been hammering around and then stop for a feel and the manifold is hot then. Your ic should be keeping it cool when you're underway yeah? Try insulation wrapping your ic to throttle body hose to prevent heat soak there. As long as your throttle body is cool to touch, you know your induction air is arriving at the plenum cold. It should move out of the plenum pretty quickly without picking up temp from it since its a large body of mobile air.

yeh i was only gonna do that intake gasket cause i wanted to paint the manifold and rocker cover wrinkle black but yeh my intercooler works really really good its the airtek seat cooler keeps the air stone cold. i have read up alot about the exhaust manifol ppl swear by it but the first model of the atp manifold cracked alot and havnt been able to find much on the new atp manifold but you can just see from the design of the stock manifold it would kill flow and make for more heat i love the JBS manifold but cant find them anywhere to buy one i love my polo hahahaha

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't bother changing the manifold unless the turbo is coming off anyway. Far too much of a hassle to warrant the effort. Certainly if you're not fitting a hybrid. Don't think that Sean's car isn't quick even with the std VW manifold on, it is.

Only place you'll get a JBS manifold, is direct. I couldn't save you any money on one. It would be easier to fit though.

Gavin

I highly recommend CC Phase 2 over APR, for the Polo the CC tune is more agressive.
    Have fun, but there is only so much power the Polo can deliver, gains after a dump pipe and PD160 intake are marginal on the stock turbo. Still, loads of fun with the right suspension work and tyres.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah an exhaust manifold is a massive job. That's why I did everything I could to each an every bit when it was apart because you don't want to be going back there.

G'day, yeah my car had the ATP manifold on it initially, though between stretched turbo bolts and cracked manifold, I just needed something that was reliable so went back to stock. On reflection, the crack to the manifold could have occurred for a few reasons, not just that of build quality of the manifold as the turbo itself (hybrid) also died due to insufficient oil or excessive heat - jury is still out on exactly what. Though the turbo internals were cooked, so was massive heat which wouldn't help.

Yeah it lost a little power, not huge but I'd say marginally noticeable. It still made 170kwatw with standard manifold, at 23psi I think. Cost per kilowatt, it didn't add up to buy a JBS manifold as you're looking at around the $1k delivered from recollection. If the internals were built, than it'd be a different cost vs benefit. And yeah, cylinder 3 is crazy small. In its current tune, it's not making that kind of power any more, running 18psi boost.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

yeh i might just leave the power level and stuff as it is and slowly peace together stage 3 i might just clean up the engine bay abit and work on all the little things for know thxz for all the info and sean 170kwatws in a polo must be a handfull my mate had 161kwatw in his honda civic ep3r and that had lsd and just wheel spun like crazy was alot of fun lol

Quote Originally Posted by HAR80N View Post
    yeh i might just leave the power level and stuff as it is and slowly peace together stage 3 i might just clean up the engine bay abit and work on all the little things for know thxz for all the info and sean 170kwatws in a polo must be a handfull my mate had 161kwatw in his honda civic ep3r and that had lsd and just wheel spun like crazy was alot of fun lol
    It'd be closer to the 160kw now and the new turbo spools later so is more drivable than before, it used to be stronger lower in the revs which made it a bit more challenging for powering through corners - but yeah it's quite a hoot.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

yeh befor i put on my intercooler it was spooling way to fast and spiking to 22psi and just wheel spin all 1st and 2nd and dropped off at 4500 i hated it so much. soon as i put the intercooler on it fixed the spike and come on smoother and more controlled made it feel unreal and holds power to readline so that new turbo would be perfect i would say i was looking at the ftg turbos i cant find much about them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast