Thread: loose back end -

loose back end -

Hi all

i've had my '06 gti for about .. 8-9 years now. The suspension on it is still probably the original

It started feeling slippy and bouncy in the back. It went from an on rails go cart to feeling like any turn at 60km+ is oversteering

I can drive my wifes auto getz faster around turns

i thought it might be the tyres as it was happening irrespective of rough or smooth roads but the 4 new tyres made no difference

is it the shocks? is there a simple way to test/verify that they're bad?

i had a few 400kg+ loads in the back over the last 2-3 years so that probably didnt help!

Users Country Flag
    I'd guess shocks, they drop away in performance after 60,000k's or so. Before you go buying new shocks it might be worth checking the rear wheel alignment just in case.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    They run anywhere from 3-6mm total toe in, some as high as 9mm! but never ever anywhere near zero toe. Get it aligned and post the print out of the numbers.

thanks everyone - i'll call up a few places near work about the wheel alignment, and I ordered a set of rear shocks as i can feel it's a bit bouncy when i hard brake, dips alot when i hard turn, and noisy over speed bumps

Users Country Flag

it'll just be the dampers.. no reason for the rear alignment to suddenly go weird unless you hit something