Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JT's Polo Building Adventure!

Users Country Flag

JT's Polo Building Adventure!

I decided to move from my previous thread and make a new one because it's become a build list. Left that open incase anyone does require ideas/help with FMIC and suspension although there are many good points scattered all over the 9n3 forum.
    Here is link to the previous thread if you're joining just now:
    FMIC & Suspension Upgrade Suggestions/Ideas

The very long and overdue build update!

Car is back in the garage only because of the small stupid sunroof overflows and my neighbors tree... It'll stay there anyway for the next month, will go out for a dyno day on the 20th and after that the last few stage 3 mods will go in!

What has happened:
    Pretty much everything from my last post!
    Done all the exterior LED lighting, I can see at night now ahaha. Got a chinese auto light switch, which I'm fairly happy with, but it's like anything that comes out of china, EH o.k. ... Updated my AC dash dials to the chrome option, found 2 more sets.
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-mvimg_20200523_000229-jpg
    Heated seating! Loom arrived 2 months later... Took a day and a half but got it all done. Hardest part was splitting the fusebox open to get the loom and to piggyback another cable to have the 15Amp fuse in slot #24. Rest was fairly straight forward, 1x to the light dial, 2x cables into the control module, 2x to controllers, 2x to the seats and the ground to the airbag grounding point which after more consideration can be a bad idea. All soldered and done properly comparing to the factory manual!

Picked up Vogtland coilovers, probably best bang to buck for the polo right now from the UK. Whole ordeal this ended up being a good option. Comparing them to the KW Inox V1's, they're super similar but some dimensions and spring wounds look different.
    Finished the rear big brake upgrade with Audi TT mk1 carriers and caliper. I got a set of bora carriers (as I've heard still unsure if they're right) because I'm not happy with the creation motorsport spacers. Need to pull a wheel off and test if they'll be more suitable than the TT ones, then respray them red to match the caliper and throw them in!
    100%, slamming the brakes now, rear end wants to pull itself out from under the car, would recommend
    Have received braided lines so those have to go in too!
    Got a paint correction and it was looking great and then I took the car offroading
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-received_576463696316750-jpg
    Other day have finished putting in the R8 coilpacks, bought the billets from the UK, $90 can't go wrong. Threw those in and also got a golf loom case to tidy it up more. N249 won't leave with this turbo, sure the SAI delete yes because racecar, but as it has always been installed and if German engineers put it there, not going to take it out! Maybe for the new turbo, but again I don't want to kill that either.

What's left to do:
    Tomorrow, and I pray tomorrow that, turbo, injectors, water meth (because was a good deal on a full kit), all strut bracing and also front brakes get sent and arrive sometime this week so I can sit and do all the front end modifications.
    After they arrive I'll wait after dyno day before I start the final transformation.
    Sadly still waiting on my fuel pump even though I've waited more than 20 business days... Should arrive this week too.
    Have some fresh carpets coming from the UK close to the end of the month.
    Catch can install will be done too after the stage 3 stuff. Got all the right bits to do it.

Another simple service, I didn't do the trans oil before because I was lazy, just checked the level and it looked good.

Only few things that I think I'll do but over time.
    LSD! Quaife most likely, I have a spare box with a blown diff, so will make sure it can be built before I buy it.
    Bluemotion front lip, and get the side skirt and rear valance sprayed. I really want the cup edition rear spoiler! again it's one of those things, to find and get will be a pain, but well worth it!
    LED rear upgrade, with the VW infinity mirror badge, some guys done it in the UK, looks pretty cool.

That's about it. Hope this wasn't a stupid long read, but I'm covering everything done/planned to the car, so it'll always be an extensive list.
    Peace, Love and Positivity during these times!

JT's Polo Building Adventure!-mvimg_20200524_154543-jpgJT's Polo Building Adventure!-mvimg_20200524_154520-jpg

Users Country Flag
    What turbo, injectors, pump etc are you planning on running mate?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey Sam!

Still waiting on them looks like next week.
    Frankenturbo K04 hybrid (typical)
    Bosch 550cc injectors (typical)
    Deatschworks DW65C pump which looks like it'll never arrive from sparesbox, most unreliable Australian retailer. Dealt with them 3 times prior and stuff always arrived a week or two late even before everything went down. I ordered this start of May...

As soon as my exam is finished on Monday, I'm pretty much digging into the car finishing front suspension and BBK and throwing in the braided lines. Should take a day or two

Users Country Flag
    Manifold, MAF, TIP and exhaust manifold from frankenturbo too as a kit, or are you cobbling together parts that you've sourced yourself?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Everything should be coming as the kit, but again, I've been kept in the dark about all the details even though I've asked multiple times :|

BAM intake manifold, doubt will change this. I've got the welly setup, holding strong 20psi right now. Might beef it up from 2" to 2.5" and get a thicker intercooler to comfort the K04, but again, unsure about it right this moment.
    Completely unsure if the exhaust manifold will come with the turbo. I want to port the exhaust ports and manifold, but it's one of those things that'll have to come later because I don't want to risk rushing and stuffing it up right now. When I'm done with uni and have a spare engine to build with forged internals, then sure, will get it done!
    MAF, 3" also coming in the package hopefully, otherwise I'll go grab the housing from an Audi at the wreckers
    TIP, again should be coming because I've asked for it and when I was placing my order at creation motorsport earlier last month, was comforted that it'll come with the turbo so I wouldn't have to worry about it :/

Everything is meant to be sent from this Saturday (Monday processed from Sydney), so hopefully it arrives by the end of next week. It's been 4 months that I've waited for these bits to be taken off this car and get sent to me... Has slightly gotten frustrating but I'm patient

Users Country Flag
    Hadn't ever heard of FrankenTurbo, very interested to see how all this turns out. Was looking at getting a BBT K300 but if the FrankenTurbo option is only a little bit more for a whole kit it sounds like a fantastic option.

Users Country Flag
    AET Turbos | 1.8T 20V Hybrid K03 Turbo

can check out these guys too. I may be wrong but I think despite BBT having a BBT280 on their site, they don't actually do it anymore. AET was sort of formed out of BBT and they do the smaller K03 hybrids for 1.8T's. Apparently a ported K03 exhaust mani can flow very well compared to a factory K04 one so there is that to consider too. I never researched the K04 hybrids really so cant help you there.
    If you ever go down the K03 hybrid route let me know as I have one spare that you could get ported ready for a K280 or 300 conversion.

Users Country Flag
    Littco do a 280. I had one make 177kw are at UGP. Stick manifold, not ported. With Littco TIP, alloy MAF, Airtec twin pass and 550cc

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    AET Turbos | 1.8T 20V Hybrid K03 Turbo

can check out these guys too. I may be wrong but I think despite BBT having a BBT280 on their site, they don't actually do it anymore. AET was sort of formed out of BBT and they do the smaller K03 hybrids for 1.8T's. Apparently a ported K03 exhaust mani can flow very well compared to a factory K04 one so there is that to consider too. I never researched the K04 hybrids really so cant help you there.
    If you ever go down the K03 hybrid route let me know as I have one spare that you could get ported ready for a K280 or 300 conversion.
    Not to derail the thread but if the AET is rated for between 260 and 280HP what would you say are the advantages over the cheaper BBT K300?

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Littco do a 280. I had one make 177kw are at UGP. Stick manifold, not ported. With Littco TIP, alloy MAF, Airtec twin pass and 550cc
    That's cheap, might as well the same price as the K300 was in 2019. I'd imagine its quite a bit better than the OEM units but do you know how that turbo is doing now?
    Last edited by Stein; 15-06-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Users Country Flag

Littco and TIP delivered was $1700. Dont need to fit Rods which saves a pile of money.

Not a cheap upgrade but then....... I have had 3 different hybrids on mine in its time.

The main advantage of the AET over the K300 is the chances of actually getting one.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast