Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: JT's Polo Building Adventure!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Cheers Gavin

Sam
    Those two blocks are for camshaft timing. I'd presume you put it onto the headbolt/camshaft bolt and line it up with your valve and it'd align the timing quite easily. Old tool, even the bloke at IE who responded to my message saying it was an old tool, not used much and hard to find nowadays. MVP's were the facebook lads last night, Dave was pretty much spot on with his guess and another gentleman found an listing of it on some 3rd party website.
    Pretty happy with the kick, takes a tad longer to really get into action but it goes forever. Letting Gavin point out the differences on those two.

Users Country Flag
    ha I was starting to think they looked like cam caps but just couldnt figure it out. So they have timing marks on the front face do they for timing it up when the cam cover is off.

Users Country Flag
    Softer state of tune than mine Sam. No rods so don't want any accidents.... I have seen 190kw out of mine but pulled it back to have it make more power to the redline. At 190 it dived after about 6000.
    Juggling act with torque at the front V power at the top.
    I guess the FT is probably a bit older in the wheels tech department, I think that could account for a good part of the difference. Still spins the wheels easy though... In 3rd

Users Country Flag
    How does that work Gav? Do you get the better top end by muting the bottom end because it keeps inlet air temps under control throughout the pull, or is it just a case of less boost more timing right across the board?

Users Country Flag
    Yes Sam, intake temps play a large part. It's trying to get the most area under the curve. Squares rather than triangles

Soo
    Been trying to finish the other Polo that's been sitting in the garage for the past two months. The thing holding it there was that I couldn't find a drivers side skirt. I was in such luck the other week when a GTI turned up at the wreckers and I pinched as much as I could off it as spares/what I was missing or needing. BJX engine sitting in good nick if anyone needs, trans is cracked unfortunately.
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-mvimg_20200731_165603-jpg

It's about ready to get a roadworthy, just need to polish up one headlight and redo the clear on both, waiting on some butyl to reseal these fog lights before they go back on. Got to bleed brakes and do an oil and trans change (peace of mind).
    All the major service work looks like it was done on time as the timing belt has fresh lettering. Car runs solid stock.
    Gavin (THANKS AGAIN <3) thrown me a file to stop the CEL happening with the SAI system. After changing the pump it still ran like a jet engine (and I know the pump was fine on the other car so must have been something else, either the combination tower or N112). Piping is in super good nick too, looks like one of them was replaced not long ago too.
    Everything is sound. Only had to swap one sway bar link... That's it.

Like this car is immaculate(paint... it's amazing for its age) because it was well looked after, just a pity that whoever played with the steering wheel fudged the clock spring and disabled the traction for the poor lady who was driving it(also found casing for glasses so she must have had bad sight too). Have tried contacting her(have her name tag for the company she worked at) to maybe get the other key and service manual if she hasn't thrown them out.
    I'll see if I could be bothered handing the GTI front bumper to a shop to get it fixed up or just include it with sale and let the new owner deal with it. Have a friend to sort the detailing and PDR on two spots(dreaded trunk dints)

Back to the basics of simple modifications on the stage 3 boy
    Should get the steering wheel control unit soon to get that sorted with the headunit
    Got to go buy some methanol test out that system
    Then just some license plates and I'll be driving the car and enjoying it for a while until I feel like doing more stuff.

Cheers

It's been forever...
    Lockdown at another two more grueling weeks...
    I just want to get this other Polo finished so I can make some room in the garage.
    Did a full engine bay clean for it as well as a redo on the headlights because they were oxidized, looking terrible.
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-mvimg_20200907_102413-jpg
    Want to get the GTI bumper fixed up as well as dints removed before RW and to be sold. Have fog lights where the glass has split so need to combine them somehow. Have Butyl but not sure what's better if just doing silicone or oven.

Done an intake upgrade on my brothers Polo, gave him to do it. I was just there for support xD
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-mvimg_20200821_160447-jpgJT's Polo Building Adventure!-mvimg_20200821_153902-jpg
    Redone one of his headlights too because it was oxidized completely...
    So he got a custom pod in the stock airbox, and silicone TIP to the stock k03. Need to replace the PCD breather because way too much oil is going into that turbo... went under to check for leaks and turbo was just wet in one funky spot..
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-img_20200817_160417-jpg
    Told him, get an exhaust and enjoy stage 2 but nope. Busy with Uni.

My Boy has slightly been neglected :O
    Well... Got a Forge valve and a wash+interior clean today, even though I was going to do it next week.
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-img_20200910_184206_397-jpg

Have a few things to do before I'm happy with this Polo, next stage of plans xD:
    -> Need to raise the fronts up a little, not happy with how it's sitting because I've been collecting the underside on every bloody speed bump...
    -> Want to redo the engine bay again, adjust a few bits to make it all look supurb.
    -> Want to throw in a fatter intercooler up front, same position but just a bit chunkier for intake temps. Was thinking of doing a Phenolic spacer to keep intake temps down but... Yes/No?
    -> Got new rotors for the fronts to go on. Swaybar too and LSD when I get some garage space to do it.
    -> Sorting out a new infotainment system because not happy with this one *facepalm*, as well as speakers and a bit more insulation all around. Throw in some GTI door welcome lights for the evenings
    -> Want the rear valance/apron/skirt section sprayed to look good, I WANT A BODYKIT.... Cup Ed.. Mmmm Maybe next year.. Air suspension... NOOO shhhhh
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-received_288781085679667-jpgDone this too, thickened up the exit a bit more lol

Everything when I have some time without worrying about bloody Uni... I did take on a job I regretted, better if I didn't touch. My car only or small jobs, sure. But I can't be bothered anymore

Hope everyone has been surviving well!
    Enjoy your evening

Cheers

CIAOS XD
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-img_20201207_185540_874-jpg
    It's been forever, but the build goes on. I have spent another uh. too much I should honestly say; for more bits and bobs.
    Attachment 52452
    Since August, I've gotten some Team Dynamics onto the car. Whilst doing this, also some slotted and dimpled rotors up front too, they have been good. Disappointingly I have to run 15mm spacers up front, which I was wishing to avoid, although I have no choice with those. Heaps better grip with the PS4's though!! No spacers in the rears which I am super happy with. I need to work on the suspension heaps, TT ball joints, camber tops and toe out plates for the rear. Throw in some TT brake ventilation bits too, although the brakes have truly been flawless, other than*
    Swapped the headunit out with a Mongoose Q2CA, which works perfectly with Android Auto, waiting for AAWireless adapter to get ready in the next few months, so I can forget about the bloody cable. Then just a ColourMFA, HUD and custom folding mirrors, and I think I would be set with the tech in the car.
    Still need to install the speakers that I have bought too, just waiting to buy another set before I throw them in. Whilst doing that, need to retrofit some GTI welcome lights, as well as throw in some LED lights inside the car too. I'd actually prefer blacklights, but not sure really.

Talking about Mirrors, I bought the carbon covers earlier this year and finally decided to throw them on. I am constantly folding them, hence the folding mirror idea xD. I'd like to add a bit more black to the car, gloss black side skirts and get the rear valence properly painted, instead of doing vinyl. Also threw on some plastic weather deflectors on the doors, pretty happy with those as I nicked them from another GTI at the wreckers.
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-img_20201227_182049_891-jpg
    *Tried to fix the terrible brake squeal, when starting to move/reversing only. Just from the rears, but it's definitely the pads causing it, I need to replace them. I cleaned everything up and it was gone for two days before returning
    Lowered the rear suspension a little bit, because it can handle it. Still have to raise the fronts heaps, as I have terrible clearance and bumps just make an awful noise. I think I will move past the Vogtlands and go to Bilsteins because I'd prefer more comfort.
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-img_20201227_182120_480-jpg
    Took the badge off and split it, threw on a layer of vinyl and then put it all back together. It's been great since! 6R taillights were also my dream for a very long time, finally got those done. I am still contemplating whether or not I'll get the Cup edition bodykit. Big turbo too

I've made a few Boost gauge holders too, sold them to the community, still have a few around if anyone needs. I have a proper 3D printer to play around with, but the boss has to not be around so I can do a few items for the community

I still have the engine bay to work on, I have noticed my fog light doesn't get enough clearance where the intake pipe is running, so have to adjust that. Thicker intercooler to go in still, PHENOLIC spacer to go in too, got that from the US. And also have the front swaybar to swap out, Which I just haven't had time to do. Soon Soon

Then I have the big boy stuff to do. Clutch is slipping to buggery once it's hot. Soooooo ECS stage 2 Clutch and Aluminium Flywheel. I have read up on the difference and do know that it will be harsher than the stock Sachs one, should be good/interesting
    THEN.
    6 Speeeeeed + Vibratechnics mount
    02S box, from a recent track fatality
    It is sitting, tested to have a LSD, due to the rotation/spinning, compared to the open diff 5 speed(I have a blown one, which does the opposite and way less resistance too). So truly interested what's in this box. I am still waiting on the shifter and have to create my own bracket to hold the cables. Sadly the first box was lost in transit by Aus Post

I also got a timing belt kit, and will still need to grab the waterpump and a vibratechnics mount on that side too, when I eventually will need to do this service. Hopefully I will do rods, valves and a few other things in the near future, but will see how that all goes. Battery relocation considered, especially with Sam's idea, I think that will be the best to clear up space and create a proper intake compared to now.

Well, lot to do, lots more to do and busy as a bee with my Internship and life. Hopefully will get cracking in the next week or two to get as much done as possible before heading back to work. Silver Polo is almost ready for its VIV, structural report and wheel alignment are perfect.. So just need to get the VIV sorted once I replace the Drivers seatbelt. Funny story with VW Australia and their complacency with doing an airbag/SRS check at any dealership... THEY WON'T DO IT.. I feel like their airbag system is flawed because why won't the manufacturer take an older model in and check if its system is live. Takata is a nightmare, watch as we have to recall every other system in the world :O

Probably missed heaps of content, but I think that's all. OH FUEL PUMP, nightmare, avoid the DW65v. I've had to pull it out again to reseat its O-ring, terrible design but again, copyright. Even with 15L of petrol left in the tank, car was stalling as it wasn't getting fuel into the engine. I've got to replace my fuel intake, as I feel there is a leak somewhere. I think the cap is no longer holding.

Sorry for the long read! But a late Merry Christmas to those who celebrate and a Happy New Year to all!!
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-img_20201214_200226_811-jpg

It has been a solid three months already since my last post and heaps has happened!

Sad news for the Silver Polo, failed its VIV because it's not a showroom condition spec car, lots of tiny bits the horrible inspector flagged. Other than blackmailing me and bringing me to tears on the morning, that ended badly. SO car's going back to auction because I can't do anything more. If I wanted to, I would have to buy it back myself and finish, it's definitely possible; but I would rather not. Should go back to Manheim soon enough, just sorting out the paperwork because it needs to go through a dealer, private individuals can't put Salvage cars back to auction for the past 6 months.

As for my brothers car, he has finally had the interest to slowly add things to the Polo! Headunit has been replaced with the new Q7CA unit from Mongoose, he's enjoying that. Also pinched my spare set of leather seats, so unfortunately still have a spare set of seats
    Other day he done his front globes just not his main beams.

My car.. Ciaos also known as Chaos by the Police
    I've gone back to the basics, I need to revise my suspension because I'm straight up not happy with it. Contacted BC if they want to do their V1's with camber/castor tops, which they just refused
    Trying to weigh up what'll be good moving from Vogtlands. Just Dailying it works but I have the fronts high as to not whack the front guards, would need to get them rolled. Anyway, organised Superpro bushes for front and rear because I'm extreme and love wasting my time and money. Need to try minimalise the silly wheel hop. I just remembered, need to find those Audi TT ball joints; also considering the lower control arm sway bar what Sam has just done, that looks EPIC and heaps more purposed as a sway bar.
    Ordered the water pump as spare right now, as I have a kit and no pump in case I do need to do it.

I have a cart almost ready from Demontweeks again, after few bits and pieces. After reading up more on oil cooling, I am considering it. Mocal sandwitch plate with the thermostat and now the question of what cooler and size. Recommendations appreciated! Also the style of fittings because I've read AN are a pain and barbed systems would be better. I'm planning of running the oil cooler behind the main GTI grill up front, just need to make a hole to accommodate for the area, and it's doable. Or would that be too high and cause trouble? I've seen a build that has done it on a beetle, so looks possible.

Need to still do a battery relocation in the engine bay, so I have more intake area/space. Any idea on minimal size and output specs guys? I have a big boy right now, yet to look into this thoroughly.
    I have also finally bought some meth-anol so I can try that system out, after 8 months of having it in the car lol.

Also hoping to start on a big turbo build in the next few months, as soon as the Silver Polo is gone, I'll have the space to make do. This would then let me pair the uprated clutch and 6 speed to it too, so it'll go happy
    I have considered putting it in right now, but the time isn't there for me, most of the way through my internship and then back to uni, YAY. Will do the N80 delete this weekend because I've gotten the map for it from Dave, should be a little bit of fun.
    Have to do a basic service soon, but considering to hold it off another week or two until I can sort the oil cooler. Will have a lot more time too. Will do the Mazda 3 this weekend then. That needs to be looked after, as it's being driven every day by mum.

OOh and some 986 Porsche boys might be coming my way soon, love overkilling things xD

Sorry for the long read, but lots to catch up on and lots to do! Still need to solidify ideas and make them a reality.

Enjoy

Build's back to a halt. I've got the headache of getting a properly repaired car now... This will definitely be a nightmare
    Got cut off last second as a driver was attempting to turn into a side street blindly, sending her SUV and causing the accident.

I was downshifting and slowing down to stop, but that doesn't do anything when there is suddenly an obstacle in front of you.
    Lucky I have dashcam and a witness of the incident who was very helpful pulling my car off the road in the middle of peak hour.

Will see where this goes. I have now 2 Polos that can't go anywhere. I need to finalise and send the Silver boy back to auction. This has unfortunately taken too long, almost a year of holding onto it and nothing can be done with it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast