Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JT's Polo Building Adventure!

Users Country Flag

argh dumb ass. Sorry Stein, when I chucked that up I had Littco in mind. Linked the wrong site. I realised I'd stuffed up when I just went to close the page down and saw the price because I remember that the Littco was very very reasonable.

Jeez 177kw aint bad Gav.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    Not to derail the thread but if the AET is rated for between 260 and 280HP what would you say are the advantages over the cheaper BBT K300?
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-turbo-jpg
    From what I've seen, the only thing different is the charge pipe muffler? (not sure if that is the correct term) and housing difference? Specs are so hard to find nowadays. The one Sam posted doesn't have a dimension specification, the BBT K300 has 51mm from what I read on this website
    BBT K300

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Littco do a 280. I had one make 177kw are(atw) at UGP. Stock manifold, not ported. With Littco TIP, alloy MAF, Airtec twin pass and 550cc
    I've touched his TIP a few times ahahaha
    Done the gentleman's lowering springs and had advised for uh, upgrading those dead front stock shocks. What's good to have power and then the car can't go around corners. These cars are to go left right, ciaos.

My 2nd gear is this car's 3rd gear and it just keeps on going and then explodes, crackles and damages all hearing. Everything I wish to not do, unless I genuinely plant my foot.
    I looked at the Littco one, but at the time when I decided on the Frankenturbo, it was out of stock and delayed so
    Can't compare the price difference though

So Yeah, that's the turbo coming this week, got 60kg of stuff sent to me TODAY and I don't think that was everything.
    I've got a big Aluminium/silicone combo TIP happening with the CreationMotorsport 3" MAF housing

No Exhaust manifold is being sent so...
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Apparently a ported K03 exhaust mani can flow very well compared to a factory K04 one so there is that to consider too
    Yeah I keep considering this, but I've got to ask the UK boys how they do them, or Gavin??
    Will send you a PM later, need to sort the tune out Da he ve he he

Everything will be anyway delayed because Sparesbox is holding my money and not confirming my order after a whole month and a half... WTF, who pauses someone's order... That's pretty much what they told me... They deleted all my comments off their insta, and if I did on FB would be the same so I can't be bothered... 1/5 on google as soon as I get it, whether I get it or my money...

I'm starting tomorrow to do a few bits, Wednesday should be back in the garage to get the final suspension upgrades and then
    Car's going on the Dyno this Saturday!
    See what it currently makes, then it'll go back into the garage and dig into it, get it done and be finished lol
    Nothing more on the performance side, just keep everything maintained and yeah, enjoy the car finally.
    Last edited by JTop; 15-06-2020 at 11:07 PM. Reason: and i ooped lol, everyone posted whilst I was writing this up

Alrighty update

Car got a few bits done to it over Thursday and Friday
    Got the Bora carriers sprayed red and replaced the TT carriers, fixing how the pads sat on the rotors. Fixed the rear muffler as the hangers were travelling in the same direction so it would bang onto the rear spring. Flipped the rear one, solving the banging problem
    I was going to put in the braided brake lines in the back and then realised it's not a straight swap... Fronts are, but rears aren't... That was silly that I thought it'd work... SO got to pull another set off another polo and then have those remade to fit the braided line, If anyone has an idea how to do this, would be appreciated.

Got all the undercarriage plastics, fender liners and wheels cleaned and thrown in the UR rear strut bar, as well as the UR mid bar, was going to fit the undercarrage front one but I got tired and didn't have time. Fitted the top mount one, and can say, that actually made a massive difference for the handling of the car on the stock setup. Would recommend that as an upgrade without doing anything else to the car.
    Was going to fit the front coilovers and the big brakes but again I was super tired by Friday evening.

Saturday was great, had quite a bit of fun and discovered a few things
    Dyno at Peerless Automotive in Lynbrook Victoria outputted a maximum of 134kW atw with 271Nm, which was really and I mean REALLY surprising when the gentleman tells me it's a stage 1 tune... My friend, also running a 9n3 gti. who pulls about equally against my other polo (UGP 120kw) hit 112kw... that's what the stage 1 tune would be doing on this dyno... And I was pulling 20kW from thin air...
    I'm in stage 2 territory so something doesn't make much sense. Oh well
    Attachment 48555Attachment 48556

This week is build week, everything else that needs to go in will go in, except for the fuel pump and one other thing as I haven't received them yet...
    I'm at that stage where I want to get everything done in the instance and enjoy it, but there is a road to get to that point, and I'm yet to get there. Goal at the moment is to get everything done, safe tune it and enjoy for a few months before going any further.
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-mvimg_20200621_151137-jpg
    Will keep this updated as I go!
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    134kw is 180hp. If you assume 30% driveline loss then that 234 hp crank. I remember my stg1 custom code tune had enough maf flow to put it at around the 240 mark. Having said all that all dynos are different. My mates Clio in an earlier state of tune made 165hp atw on the next door workshops dyno. It then ‘found’ 20hp the next day on a different dyno. As long as you just use the same dyno so your numbers are apples vs apples then that’s the best way to chart your progress. I must admit stg 1 was very strong vs stg2 on my car. I don’t think peak power changes too much. But the stg2 dump reduces back pressure and allows more timing advance in the mid range which really boosts the torque there. Stg 1 due that extra back pressure and more retarded timing runs really hot , like cherry red turbo kind of hot. Fine fir the odd squirt around the street but a worry fir sustained running or on the track. That’s stg2’s advantage. Actually kinder on the engine.

Users Country Flag
    Keen to see how the K04 hybrid goes they’ll be a step up.

Update

Been quite busy with work and the car!
    Started working last Thursday evening until the AM's, then continued on Friday and got the turbo out, so all the basics to get to that stage, also stripped the front end of the car to be able to redo everything as well as wiring for the fuse holder, placing it behind the battery so it doesn't sit in no mans land.
    Frankenturbo K04 in the car on Saturday and with my tired ass luck managed to break an exhaust bolt by double tightening the same nut even though I thought I moved to the next one :| anyway, whoever worked on the car previously, managed to break another stud and I didn't realise that there was a piece left in the engine until Wednesday when I was putting the exhaust manifold back in... No intention to pull the engine forward to replace it? Have one stud spare because I thought it was just missing so got the two. If there is a good reason to dismantle practically everything again for it, then I'll consider it. Let me know!
    Ported Exhaust Manifold done, courtesy of Gavin, Thank You!!!!
    Sunday had a rest from the car, went climbing instead, Monday had work until 3pm, then dropped past Repco for a few things. Then Imparts ordered 3 gasket sets, exhaust, turbo and rocker cover(for the other polo, leaky half moon), they were missing the exhaust one so my annoying friends at VW Brighton took two days to get that to me which was annoying, would have continued Tuesday evening, ended up going to my climbing gym instead.
    Wednesday evening hit up the car, until 3am, got as much as I could done, so Exhaust manifold in, all pipes (TIP was a pain to fit but managed to do it), fittings and accessories, relocated cables and fixed up the mess in front of the battery. Think it was Monday when I sat and redone all the engine side plugs and cable management. 550cc injectors also went in. Got those all rerun and connected up, except the coilpacks
    Continued Thursday(yesterday), all day since around midday, connected remainder, organised and tidied everything up, fitted all TIP accessories, got the intake on and then made up the last few vacuum lines as well as the catch can setup. Got all the little things on and finalised, there is so many bits my OCD made me fix it's not funny.
    Started putting on the front end, so radiator and ac condenser are back on and connected, just have to finalise the inlet piping to make sure I'm not losing boost over time which it seemed like on the K03.
    JT's Polo Building Adventure!-snapchat-1371639933-jpg

All that's left is to put on the front end, headlights are getting PPF just because. so waiting on those before finishing with the bumper. Then have the front coilovers as well as the big brakes to put onto the front, then bleed and new fluids for everything! Oil, Trans, Coolant, Brake (rebleed clutch, want it a bit stiffer than it already is), that's it until next week!

Have a rear bracing coming from QLD, have to chop it up to fit the polo as they don't make them for it. Did a bit of a group purchase for them and will have one spare, someone pulled out If anyone needs, PM me, will do a post about it once it's all done!
    Once I get it to work on mine, I fit my watermeth kit onto it then modify the remainder before I take all to get powdercoated. Need one of my Ultra Racing braces to be redone too because it started rusting, whole lot is happening.
    Fuel pump should arrive too after 2 months... Hopefully the car can get a base tune before I baby it to the dyno.

Question!
    WM, injector after the throttle body, which direction should it be situated? I've put it in from bottom facing upwards, have asked Chris who owned the kit before and he said he had it on the side. Opinions would be appreciated!

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JT's Polo Building Adventure!-snapchat-1371639933-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like you've gone pretty hard on it.
    Exhaust mani stud? sorry but yes I'd be doing it. Maybe not straight away but you'll end up with an air leak there at the least (which'll probably cause the ecu to overfuel you or be chasing fuel trims) and at the worst will be the above plus a burnt gasket that'll then hiss and squeal at you. You dont want pre-o2 sensor gas leaks.
    Personally I'd put the WI jet at the top shooting down. I think that located there the bulk of the spray cone will be projected past the sensor before it spreads out. If its shooting up it'll be spraying directly at the inlet air temp sensor. That might be ok if its seeing more or less evaporated water/meth gas with a bit of condensation forming on it, but raw liquid being burst at it will skew inlet air temp readings and could affect its longevity. There might not be much in it though. I did a bit of testing with different sized jets and while for instance my aquamist 0.4 had a nice ball shaped cone, their 0.5 was very direct more like a fuel injector. Do an air spray with yours and just make a judgement based on how it sprays. I just dont think spraying across directly onto the inlet air temp sensor is the way to go if it looks like your jet is very focussed. If its a softer wider cone then it'll probably be ok.
    Being post throttle body, make sure you're using a solenoid to control the jet so that it cant siphon under vacuum.

Users Country Flag
    oh and the half moon for the exhaust cam is integrated onto the cam cover gasket. Its not a seperate piece like the inlet cam half moon seal.

Hey Sam!

Put new gaskets in and tightened all exhaust manifold bolts to the 35Nm spec. Compared to when I took it off, where I could turn some of the nuts off the exhaust manifold without using any force, entire engine was miraculously running off hopes and dreams. I think it'll be better than it was until I've got time to take another look at that snapped stud.
    As for the WMI, makes perfect sense, will test it out the spray to make sure it would miss the inlet air temp sensor. This got me thinking it has to either be top facing down or same side as the sensor facing to the back of the car. Will try these before I get the front end on and run the AEM line to the boot. Looks like it's a bit on the short side but will see.
    Not sure which kind of solenoid I should fit (injector is quite long like 4-5cm), but I've got the AEM tank, pump and controller with the wiring loom for it.

Also for the other polo, yes, have the rocker/cam cover gasket and the inner coilpack gasket too. Bought some RTV to seal at the specified spots too, will be straight forward when I have a spare day to work on it.

Cheers Sam

Users Country Flag

So the AEM kit doesnt have a solenoid? Just runs straight off the pump? If not yeah I'd run a solenoid or make sure the jet has a very reliable check valve in it or at idle it'll just suck liquid straight out of the jet.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast