Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Idea for better FMIC plumbing

Idea for better FMIC plumbing-20170804_165552-medium-jpgIdea for better FMIC plumbing-troytroy-medium-jpg

No Battery also, been running this setup for years
    Last edited by vwthunder; 24-07-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    MODS- TOO MANY

Users Country Flag
    Sam, the pic was just one of many that I saved to gauge the best layout for the S3. Sorry, I'm not sure what car it is.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    No worries. Had a good chat with a mate of mine who has a Celica GT4 with the ST205 factory water to air intercooler. He'd have a lot more power than me, upwards of 300hp crank, and said that all he had to do to keep his inlet temps in the right spot as he added power was upgrade the heat exchanger. When the factory one wasn't cutting it he went to a PWR tube and fin style and then recently to a bar and plate. Sounds like you really have to think holistically with water to air - no good having the best plazmaman core if the exchanger isn't up to it but conversely smaller cores than you think will work great provided they are proper water to air cores and complemented by good heat exchangers. It will cost more to do it than air to air, no doubt about that but I think for a multi use car its going to be hard to beat.

Users Country Flag
    Given "equal quality", for over time heat transfer, tube and fin is better hence most often used in circuit racing. Exactly the same logic as for a normal radiator, air con heat exchanger etc. For drags (and arguably hillclimbs) bar and plate is better as they stay cooler longer, due to simply having more material to heat up. The downside is they disrupt the external air flow through them to a greater extent, so best not used in parallel with other heat exchangers. Obviously "equal quality" is the trick question.

For a circuit race car and a road car, an air to air tube and fin I/C is probably the better choice. But for short timed events (drags, hillclimbs, time attack etc) air to ice water is definitely the better choice. Choosing between a tube and fin or a bar and plate heat exchanger is more related to its location and access to airflow.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Just had the car in a thousand pieces doing a cam cover gasket and a timing belt. With everything more or less exposed I was able to run a tape measure over the intercooler pipework route for a SEAT Sport FMIC. The length of the inlet tract is 3.4m!!!! and that was a flexible ladies sewing tape measure to properly trace it and I measured the double pass turn around at the end tank of the IC as half its height. 50mm pipework (say 48mm ID) over that length comes out at 6153 cubic cm's. think that's right. That seems like a lot of pipe to fill. DV relocation helped big time for me but there's got to be a lot of lag in that.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Just had the car in a thousand pieces doing a cam cover gasket and a timing belt. With everything more or less exposed I was able to run a tape measure over the intercooler pipework route for a SEAT Sport FMIC. The length of the inlet tract is 3.4m!!!! and that was a flexible ladies sewing tape measure to properly trace it and I measured the double pass turn around at the end tank of the IC as half its height. 50mm pipework (say 48mm ID) over that length comes out at 6153 cubic cm's. think that's right. That seems like a lot of pipe to fill. DV relocation helped big time for me but there's got to be a lot of lag in that.
    As always the maths is fun, a 1.8 litre engine (at zero boost) will consume the 6,153 cc's of air in around 7 revolutions of the crankshaft, at 6,000 rpm that's about 0.14 seconds. At 1 bar of boost that's 0.07 seconds etc. That doesn't seem very long but it's surprising how noticeable it is when driving, especially when controlling the handling via the throttle.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345